2021 NHL Playoff Semi Finals

Norcal

8 hours ago, pastajoe said:

Tampa didn’t cheat, they used the rules available for maximum benefit. I’d be upset if the Sabres were in the same position and didn’t do it. Blame the owners and NHLPA who agreed to such rules. I’ll be rooting for Tampa to beat Vegas in the finals.

The rules should be changed and while Tampa absolutely used the rules given to them I still think it’s grimy. Same as the Patriots doing shady things that are within the rules but still not within the normal flow of how a team/franchise operates.

I’d be fine with Vegas vs whoever. I’m not all that interested in the Habs vs either team but would rather they win than Tampa (because they won last year, not because of the info above).

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

The rules should be changed and while Tampa absolutely used the rules given to them I still think it’s grimy. Same as the Patriots doing shady things that are within the rules but still not within the normal flow of how a team/franchise operates.

I’d be fine with Vegas vs whoever. I’m not all that interested in the Habs vs either team but would rather they win than Tampa (because they won last year, not because of the info above).

Again, don’t hate a team for being smart enough to know the rules. I wish the Sabres were run as well as Tampa has been for the past decade. Many of their players were seasoned in Syracuse.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Again, don’t hate a team for being smart enough to know the rules. I wish the Sabres were run as well as Tampa has been for the past decade. Many of their players were seasoned in Syracuse.

I said they were grimy and said I don’t want them to win because of last year, not because they got frisky with Kuchy. I don’t hate them for it. I just think it’s lame.

As deeply talented the Tampa roster is the most important player for them is their goalie, Vasilevsky. I'm going with Tampa. I see them playing Vegas for the Cup with the Florida team prevailing. 

When you witness the immediate success of an expansion team and compare it to the decade of futility of the Sabres you have to be embarrassed. Vegas had a plan and they exquisitely executed it. The Sabres's plan seems to be  constantly changing. That's why they are usually at the bottom looking up and promoting the next plan to supplant the previously failed plan. What utter nonsense. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

As deeply talented the Tampa roster is the most important player for them is their goalie, Vasilevsky. I'm going with Tampa. I see them playing Vegas for the Cup with the Florida team prevailing. 

When you witness the immediate success of an expansion team and compare it to the decade of futility of the Sabres you have to be embarrassed. Vegas had a plan and they exquisitely executed it. The Sabres's plan seems to be  constantly changing. That's why they are usually at the bottom looking up and promoting the next plan to supplant the previously failed plan. What utter nonsense. 

Yuppers. Continually changing the plan is essentially having no plan. We’re unfortunately fans of a team with morons for owners. There’s no indication they’ll figure it out and its a decade in. I used to laugh at the Islanders owner and look at him go. We can only wish our morons were that bright.

Edited by bunomatic

12 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Yuppers. Continually changing the plan is essentially having no plan. We’re unfortunately fans of a team with morons for owners. There’s no indication they’ll figure it out and its a decade in. I used to laugh at the Islanders owner and look at him go. We can only wish our morons were that bright.

One of the main reasons that I advocate for Granato is that the players, especially the youngsters, responded to his coaching. Why not just follow through and have some continuity behind the bench when it is working? Going through with another coaching change continues the pattern of being in a constant state of flux.  

Many people are skeptical of our young and inexperienced GM. They have legitimate reasons to be concerned with him at the helm. But changing the GM and the direction of the franchise right now would only put us back at the starting line with what appears to be an upcoming version of a rebuild. This constant turbulence within the organization has to stop. 

I consider Tampa to be the Cup favorites.  Regardless how this post season turns out I marvel at what Vegas, an expansion team,  has accomplished since its inception. They had a plan in how to address the expansion draft and acquire players and then executed that plan. They are an example of a well-run hockey operation, and it shows. The Sabres are an example of an erratically run hockey operation, and it shows.  

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

One of the main reasons that I advocate for Granato is that the players, especially the youngsters, responded to his coaching. Why not just follow through and have some continuity behind the bench when it is working? Going through with another coaching change continues the pattern of being in a constant state of flux.  

Many people are skeptical of our young and inexperienced GM. They have legitimate reasons to be concerned with him at the helm. But changing the GM and the direction of the franchise right now would only put us back at the starting line with what appears to be an upcoming version of a rebuild. This constant turbulence within the organization has to stop. 

I consider Tampa to be the Cup favorites.  Regardless how this post season turns out I marvel at what Vegas, an expansion team,  has accomplished since its inception. They had a plan in how to address the expansion draft and acquire players and then executed that plan. They are an example of a well-run hockey operation, and it shows. The Sabres are an example of an erratically run hockey operation, and it shows.  

I agree

• Like (+1) 1

NY just doesn’t make a lot of mistakes and play so disciplined. If it wasn’t for that gift wrapped penalty at the end it was a shutout. Very impressive game 1 on the road. Cooper has to make adjustments. 

Edited by Gatorman0519
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/12/2021 at 6:18 AM, pastajoe said:

Tampa didn’t cheat, they used the rules available for maximum benefit. I’d be upset if the Sabres were in the same position and didn’t do it. Blame the owners and NHLPA who agreed to such rules. I’ll be rooting for Tampa to beat Vegas in the finals.

Ya but they did cheat. 

Yes, the rules are there and they exploited them, but the real issue relates to Kucherov's actual health. If he comes back when he's actually healthy, they don't have cap room to add Savard and they are over the cap. So they hold him out until the first game of the playoffs. The way he played game 1, stamina, level of compete etc. it was clear to anyone with even half a brain that he was not just coming off an injury. Clearly he was in peak conditioning and had been ready for a while. That's the cheating. 

The failure by the league, which also lets it happen , is they do not have a provision for independent medical examination of players in this sort of situation. So you can argue it's not "cheating" but it is a clear abuse of the rules and as far as I'm concerned that is cheating. 

If it was the Sabres that had done it I'd say sure they cheated but I'd be okay with it. As I'm not a Tampa fan I'm not okay with it. They are the cheaters and I loved the Islanders beating them and hope they win the series. Hell let them win the cup. 

The takeaway for Sabres fans with the Islanders success should be - see, it's okay to lose your star player/captain, life and success can go on. You can in fact be better. Coach, goaltender, team D, that's the model. Follow it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Soooo I’m reading …. “I don’t like what Tampa did so I declare it cheating”

Buuut the league itself doesn’t view it as cheating, sooooo it obviously isn’t in their eyes. Too bad so sad.

“But but but I declare it’s cheating so it is” (now I will close my eyes, and put my hands over my ears because I don’t want to see or hear any other facts about this issue).

Tissues anyone?

#iwouldntmindtheisleswinningtheseries

5 hours ago, Norcal said:

He was available when they hired Kreuger no?

Was after Phail Housley's first season (you know, the one we finished dead last). Clearly after such a stunningly successful first season it would've been madness to sack him and bring in the best coach in the world.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.