The Official All Things JJ Peterka Thread

Brawndo

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

I don't think the Sabres have had issues regarding bringing in players who have a good attitude. 

Attitudes change 

I don't know about that. I don't think attitude (for lack of a better catch all word) was part of Murray's considerations. Lehner had huge issues, Bogo was an addict, ROR was a bit of a drunk, Eichel wasn't multi problemed but there were a few questions about him, and Kane, well no point to even comment there. I'd also add the second effort level of people like Reinhart but that leads to the usual arguments and tangents so leave that as a matter of opinion. 

We haven't had many players in a long time that were devoted and committed like Briere was or Peca, others.  I know it's a new era and these rich guys are maybe harder to keep in line or keep them motivated but there are still those types out there. Cousins definitely is. Peterka I think is as well. When your leaders are like that it rubs off or even guilts others into the same level. Every year I read comments from ex players about how "it was a great bunch of guys" but "it just didn't work for some reason" but rarely (never?) do I see players here commenting on a pursuit of excellence and a need to win and be better. Taking it on themselves. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

European hockey guy is on WGR talking Peterka. Says he has a brilliant shot and can score from just about anywhere. 

Hand skills good. Great skating. Good puck skills. 

Although most of the attention is on the first pick it is going to be interesting to see what we do with our two second round picks. If Jack, Samson and Risto or some combination of them get traded I'm sure we will be acquiring more high picks. I'm hoping that our gutted scouting department is rebuilt enough to take advantage of the talent pool. This pandemic year has made it more difficult to scout the prospects. Organizations with good scouting departments and good contacts around the hockey world should be able to acquire players that they would normally be in a position to take. 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Looks like he is coming to the Sabres Organization in the Fall.

Surprised, early summer reports indicated he would stay in Germany this year. Guess they convinced him to AHL it up. Should be fun watching him with Quinn. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Surprised, early summer reports indicated he would stay in Germany this year. Guess they convinced him to AHL it up. Should be fun watching him with Quinn. 

Geez, we may actually have prospects playing in Rochester. Keep em coming. 

• Like (+1) 3

• 3 months later...
40 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I think he has made the team 

23 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I wouldn't say that just yet.  He's one of four or five trying to claw their way in.

I’m torn, my obvious pro Amerks bias aside, I’m not sure what’s best for the kid or the team. He could certainly use some seasoning in the AHL but he definitely is offensively gifted enough to be in the show. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’m torn, my obvious pro Amerks bias aside, I’m not sure what’s best for the kid or the team. He could certainly use some seasoning in the AHL but he definitely is offensively gifted enough to be in the show. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. 

Don’t think there’s a spot for him. He’s made a good impression, and now he’ll go to Rochester and play on the first line, and get a lot of PP time. 

20 minutes ago, inkman said:

Maybe he’ll get sent down and pull a Miro Satan and average a goal a game before they decide he’s good enough for the NHL. 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=16367

I think several of these guys (JJ, Weisbach, Quinn, etc.) will get looks this year and that they will make the jump to full time NHLer in the next year or so.  There's the running joke about all the $750k 1 year deals Adams has on the books but there's a reason for that.  He's making room for the next group of prospects.  I think R2 is a lock at this point, and his path (breaking in last year before making the team out of training camp this year) will be a common theme for a lot of these guys.  This what the "healthy competition" KA has spoken of looks like.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Don’t think there’s a spot for him. He’s made a good impression, and now he’ll go to Rochester and play on the first line, and get a lot of PP time. 

Let’s not act like JJ isn’t better right now than any Sabres forward not named Mittlestadt, Cozens or Olofsson.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, inkman said:

Let’s not act like JJ isn’t better right now than any Sabres forward not named Mittlestadt, Cozens or Olofsson.  

You bring up an important issue that our front office has to wrestle with. I agree with you that JJ has earned a spot on this roster. But the more important issue is whether it would be better for his development if he got a lot of playing time, and in different roles, in Rochester rather than getting lesser minutes in Buffalo. I lean toward starting him off in Rochester and then moving him up sometime during the season. And the same reasoning applies to Quinn. If I'm going to error I think it would be better to error on the side of getting him more playing time at the lower level. 

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

With young prospects, that’s only a small part of the equation. 

What’s best for development, contract situations, roster limits, and giving veterans the benefit of the doubt all go into consideration. 

Not saying you do this, but far too many people think picking a roster in the NHL is like selecting a travel team. There are tons of considerations that go into it beyond on ice performance. 

That said, I think he may have a chance to make the team still. Adams seems to want to give the young players more of a chance. I think if there’s a year where someone forced themselves onto the roster, it’s probably this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You bring up an important issue that our front office has to wrestle with. I agree with you that JJ has earned a spot on this roster. But the more important issue is whether it would be better for his development if he got a lot of playing time, and in different roles, in Rochester rather than getting lesser minutes in Buffalo. I lean toward starting him off in Rochester and then moving him up sometime during the season. And the same reasoning applies to Quinn. If I'm going to error I think it would be better to error on the side of getting him more playing time at the lower level. 

I think that is the plan. I agree that he is better then most of the guys in Buffalo and still should start in Rochester.  I suspect he won't be in Rochester long.   Honestly Quinn is better then most of the guys in Buffalo also, but it isn't as clear cut. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.