Beniers vs Power: Poll

WildCard

Berniers vs Power  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Sabres draft 1OA?

48 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

I just started watching tape of both these guys this week, but it looks like Power's skating (even at 6'5) is at par with Beniers - and he's not afraid to shoot the puck.  Beniers may be a stud in a few years, but I can't see drafting him at #1 with an asset like Powers sitting there.  Even though he is a D, I can see Powers having a larger impact on the big club before Benier does.  With Risto, Miller, and McCabe likely gone over the next year, I like the idea of a Powers pick.  Checks a lot of boxes and is lower risk.

This doesn’t really have anything to do with the post you replied to and I disagree with you, but to each their own.

Just now, Curt said:

This doesn’t really have anything to do with the post you replied to and I disagree with you, but to each their own.

Power and Beniers in a straight line probably have similar speeds but Beniers agility and quickness is definitely above Power's skating. Power has that Dahlin or Eichel kind of skating and Beniers has more of that Cozens/Newhook type of skating with lots of quick starts and stops. 

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

You wouldn’t take a goalie with the first second round pick if one of the good ones was left? 

If Cossa was there, I would probably take him but I don't think he won't be. We should draft a goalie in either the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round this year with my preference being the first 3rd pick we have or the 2nd 2nd round pick we have. 

That said, I think I am higher on Portillo than most and I am really excited that he will be Michigan's starter this season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I'm just waiting for the Sabres to pick someone completely off the board with the 1st overall pick, make up some RK style excuse to justify it and then watch both Power and Beniers explode for their respective teams; all while GMKA is excited about signing the next Matt Irwin clone. 

I just bought a popcorn machine, can't wait to sit back and overuse it 😎

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Power and Beniers in a straight line probably have similar speeds but Beniers agility and quickness is definitely above Power's skating. Power has that Dahlin or Eichel kind of skating and Beniers has more of that Cozens/Newhook type of skating with lots of quick starts and stops. 

The difference in agility and quickness is quite simply an optical illusion due to their relative physical statures. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

The difference in agility and quickness is quite simply an optical illusion due to their relative physical statures. 

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Friedman sure talked today like Power was a slam dunk 1st overall.

Friedman is not what I'd call a draft expert. 

Very good analysis of the draft from a Sabres perspective by Will Scouch on xBuffalo podcast.

https://www.expectedbuffalo.com/buffalo-sabres-expected-podcast/ 

Really outlines the reasons I would prefer Beniers to Power.

Edited by steveoath
For a breakdown of Power weaknesses skip to 15min. Beniers comparison at 17min ish.

7 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Who (defenseman) do you like that you think might be still available in the 2nd round?

Sean Morrow, Brent Johnson, Owen Zellweger, Jack Bar, Stanislov Svozil, Aleksi Heimosalmi

No particular order and I could see 2 of those guys go in the first but slides happen and they could definitely slide so I included them.

Heimosalmi and Zellweger are probably my favorites but Brent Johnson, Svozil, and Morrow are not too far behind. Jack Bar is interesting and is probably in the 3rd round. 

Owen Zellweger at 32 would be a preferred target. He is going to slide because he is only 5'10" right now but his Bday is Sept 10th meaning he is 5 days shy of being a 2022 draft player. He was great at the u18 and he had a strong WHL season. At his age he might top out at 5'11" and 190lbs which if fine for a defender. 

If you want a slightly bigger and slightly less high octane version, you go with Heimosalmi who was also great at the u18 and in the finish j20 this season. He's just a well rounded defender in the vain of Ryan Johnson where he does everything well and has offense. 

Zellweger is a lefty and Heimosalmi is a righty. 

21 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I'm just waiting for the Sabres to pick someone completely off the board with the 1st overall pick, make up some RK style excuse to justify it and then watch both Power and Beniers explode for their respective teams; all while GMKA is excited about signing the next Matt Irwin clone. 

I just bought a popcorn machine, can't wait to sit back and overuse it 😎

Irwin and Eakin were Krueger’s hand picked schlubs.  

26 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Quite possibly, but the excitement in that video when KA was seen saying "we got him, we got Matt Irwin" makes me a but skeptical. 

Every time I feel a little hopeful for this team, someone chimes in with a dream crusher. 

Just now, Hoss said:

‘Member when you constantly shouted 90% of the board wanted Power?

Oh no it was slightly lower! Also considering how loud you and others have been yelling for Power it isn't surprising.

"HE's THE CONSENSUS NUMBER 1 LIGER SHUT IT!!!!!!!! YAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! LEROY JENKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Hoss probably. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.