Beniers vs Power: Poll

WildCard

Berniers vs Power  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Sabres draft 1OA?

5 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Dahlin is a puck moving dman, so that’s not an accurate equivalency as they play two very different roles on the ice. I’m not going to pretend like I know everything about Power, this is baseball season for me and I couldn’t be more discouraged about the Sabres and hockey in general. But when I compare the two different picks, a quick glance tells me Power has a much better chance of playing the way I think we need to be playing eventually. 

Power is more of a puck mover than a stay at home guy.  He is more physical than Dahlin, but doesn’t have a nasty ness to his game.

I hate that term anyway.  All your D should be puck movers.

Edited by Curt

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

He's a boston boy be ready for the boston rumors in 4 years 

That did give me pause.  They was another prospect down the list somewhere in the top 10 that checked all my boxes. 

big

physical

jerk

Forward

not from Boston 

44 minutes ago, inkman said:

That did give me pause.  They was another prospect down the list somewhere in the top 10 that checked all my boxes. 

big

physical

jerk

Forward

not from Boston 

Othmann? 

Anyways heres his quote Beniers

“I wanted to be close to home. That was a big thing for me,” said Beniers, a forward from Hingham. “Growing up near Boston, you never want to leave – at least, I didn’t.” 

Beniers was pretty much home-schooled in that respect. 

“That’s how my dad (Bob, a Quincy native who played at BC High) taught me to play hockey; that’s who I learned everything from,” Beniers said. “He was a big proponent of playing the right way, playing honest, doing the right things. 

“And growing up, watching all the Bruins games, I would always watch Patrice Bergeron. That was one of my dad’s favorite players, and one of mine. It just kind of happened that I would kind of model my game after him.” 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.patriotledger.com/amp/6250060002

Sounds like he'll be home sick in a couple years

34 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Othmann? 

Anyways heres his quote Beniers

“I wanted to be close to home. That was a big thing for me,” said Beniers, a forward from Hingham. “Growing up near Boston, you never want to leave – at least, I didn’t.” 

Beniers was pretty much home-schooled in that respect. 

“That’s how my dad (Bob, a Quincy native who played at BC High) taught me to play hockey; that’s who I learned everything from,” Beniers said. “He was a big proponent of playing the right way, playing honest, doing the right things. 

“And growing up, watching all the Bruins games, I would always watch Patrice Bergeron. That was one of my dad’s favorite players, and one of mine. It just kind of happened that I would kind of model my game after him.” 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.patriotledger.com/amp/6250060002

Sounds like he'll be home sick in a couple years

The kid decided to go to Michigan after Harvard's season was canceled. I think he'll be fine. 

With how crazy this offseason could be for us, I could see 5-6 different potential #1 overall candidates.  Given the nature of development of a D-man at the NHL level, Power could take longer to develop than what this franchise needs.  That swung my vote to Beniers, but I wouldn't be upset if they went with Eklund or Guenther.  I could potentially see the two Boston boys (Eichel & Beniers) being good for each other, or could see all of Eichel's negatives rubbing off on Beniers.  But, if Eichel does happen to get moved (which would likely result in a Reinhart moving as well), then may as well go with Power since it would take yet another lifetime of rebuilding.  They really, really, really, need to hit a home run this summer on all fronts moving forward.

5 hours ago, I-90 W said:

At 6’5” there is a very good chance he will grow into his frame and his game will reflect that. He’s very young still. I strongly doubt he is Tyler Myers (who was on the ice during the Lucic incident) 2.0. 

My initial reaction to watching video on Power was that he is a left handed Tyler Myers.  A lot of the same traits

The attached link is an interview on WGR  on the Instigator Show with Steve Shields who is a former Sabre goalie. He is on the staff at the Univ. of Michigan. He talks about the prospects on the team. This is a 36 min interview. If you listen to the first half of the interview you will get the segment dealing with Power, Benier and Johnson. The more I hear about Power the more entrenched I get about selecting him with our pick. He also talks about Portillo.  

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/the-instigators-with-andrew-peters-and-craig-rivet

58 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The attached link is an interview on WGR  on the Instigator Show with Steve Shields who is a former Sabre goalie. He is on the staff at the Univ. of Michigan. He talks about the prospects on the team. This is a 36 min interview. If you listen to the first half of the interview you will get the segment dealing with Power, Benier and Johnson. The more I hear about Power the more entrenched I get about selecting him with our pick. He also talks about Portillo.  

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/the-instigators-with-andrew-peters-and-craig-rivet

More I hear about Beniers the more I'm convinced he's gonna be a stud

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

More I hear about Beniers the more I'm convinced he's gonna be a stud

I don't deny that Beniers may turn out to be a stud. As you pointed out in another related post all three Michaganders look to be quality prospects. As I said before I'm not foolish enough to be dismissive of anyone who prefers their ying over my yang. This is a draft situation where with choices we should be able to add a top shelf prospect into the pool. 

My preferred scenario if the Sabres feel compelled to trade Jack is that we come away with a player/prospect such as Byfield. If you combine him with Power then you are increasing the pool of young players that will make this team better in the not to distant future. 

With no equivocation I publicly proclaim myself to be a Power-Stan. And with even more conviction I consider myself to be a Granato-Stan! 

Edited by JohnC

3 hours ago, Curt said:

Against my better judgment, I googled that. Where the did that come from?  Something you think about often?  Just weird man.

I don't feel bad that you're strangely offended by the joke. It comes from knowing a lot of college hockey kids.

5 hours ago, Hoss said:

I don't feel bad that you're strangely offended by the joke. It comes from knowing a lot of college hockey kids.

I’m not offended.  I just thought it was a really strange direction to take the conversation.  Someone says that the 3 players seemed to work well together, and you ask if anyone thinks that they have had sex with the same people?

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

I’m not offended.  I just thought it was a really strange direction to take the conversation.  Someone says that the 3 players seemed to work well together, and you ask if anyone thinks that they have had sex with the same people?

This is an accurate description of what happened. Thank you. I hope you've enjoyed this.

17 hours ago, Curt said:

Power is more of a puck mover than a stay at home guy.  He is more physical than Dahlin, but doesn’t have a nasty ness to his game.

I hate that term anyway.  All your D should be puck movers.

I just started watching tape of both these guys this week, but it looks like Power's skating (even at 6'5) is at par with Beniers - and he's not afraid to shoot the puck.  Beniers may be a stud in a few years, but I can't see drafting him at #1 with an asset like Powers sitting there.  Even though he is a D, I can see Powers having a larger impact on the big club before Benier does.  With Risto, Miller, and McCabe likely gone over the next year, I like the idea of a Powers pick.  Checks a lot of boxes and is lower risk.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.