Beniers vs Power: Poll

WildCard

Berniers vs Power  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Sabres draft 1OA?

41 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Is Beniers healthy? If so, Beniers. Power should be a pretty good player though. First choice would be to trade the pick for a now-player if that sort of deal existed 

Beniers was back on the ice for the pregame skate after his injury. He didn’t play but clearly not a major injury in that case.

43 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Surprised it’s as close as it is 

I appreciate the debate even if Power is going to be the pick 

This is as close as I’d expect and as close as I’ve been saying it is on the board. The feeling on this board is not reflected off of it, though. And you’ll note that those voting for Beniers are the more frequent posters. There’s nothing wrong with that. Beniers appears to be a damn good prospect and could ultimately be the best in the class. Just worth noting.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Who do you like at 1? Haven’t seen your thoughts on it yet unless I missed something 

dylan guenther find one weakness in his game besides adding weight which beniers needs also

He's everything you want (2 - way player, sniper, playmaker,  Penalty killer,power play,  Motor that never stops and so on 

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

dylan guenther find one weakness in his game besides adding weight which beniers needs also

He's everything you want (2 - way player, sniper, playmaker,  Penalty killer,power play,  Motor that never stops and so on 

Showing up in big tournaments.😜

I mentioned this before and have mentioned it a lot when evaluating prospects. Is Guenther the one driving the play that results in a lot of his goals? 

Look at how Seth Jarvis is involved in goals and compare it to Guenther, that's my issue. 

On 6/8/2021 at 11:54 AM, Buffalonill said:

I dislike both but matthew beniers has tom brady's attitude ( winning at all costs)

Please enlighten me as to how you know this 

I don’t think it needs to be vocalized that nearly every teenager can and will fill out through the natural course of life.  

18 minutes ago, inkman said:

Please enlighten me as to how you know this 

I don’t think it needs to be vocalized that nearly every teenager can and will fill out through the natural course of life.  

Practically every scouting report and every time you watch him .

He never gives up 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Power is not physical at all 

At 6’5” there is a very good chance he will grow into his frame and his game will reflect that. He’s very young still. I strongly doubt he is Tyler Myers (who was on the ice during the Lucic incident) 2.0. 

13 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

At 6’5” there is a very good chance he will grow into his frame and his game will reflect that. He’s very young still. I strongly doubt he is Tyler Myers (who was on the ice during the Lucic incident) 2.0. 

Dahlin is 6'3" and Samuelsson is 6'4" 

It isn't like the left side is some dwarf colony out of Moria here. 

1 hour ago, I-90 W said:

After watching the Sabres get manhandled on the ice and our goalies constantly screened for the last 10 -12 years or so (except for maybe when John Scott was here for a bit) give me the bigger player. 

As I say on repeat, it isn't about the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog. Size does not equal toughness or tenacity. Power is a hard working player though who does not use his size as much as he should. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Dahlin is 6'3" and Samuelsson is 6'4" 

It isn't like the left side is some dwarf colony out of Moria here. 

Is Dahlin camping out and screening netminders, or clearing the crease for our own? We need some of that in this league.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

As I say on repeat, it isn't about the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog. Size does not equal toughness or tenacity. Power is a hard working player though who does not use his size as much as he should. 

Agreed but he is young and hoping he will grow into it.

1 minute ago, I-90 W said:

Is Dahlin camping out and screening netminders, or clearing the crease for our own? We need some of that in this league.

I have watched a lot of Power's tape and he can clear guys but it isn't like he is some Hedman/Chara clone just destroying screens in front. 

I don't believe most guys grow into it. Either you have that bang and mash mentality or you don't. Everyone talked about Myers growing into it too. Again Power is not Myers but he's not a overly physical defender. Also Samuelsson can clear the net and do it effectively, he is the guy to use his body. 

Basically I am saying I wouldn't draft Power just because he's big and might on occasion be big and nasty. 

6 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

You you see the fundamental contradiction of your two sentences here?  Dahlin is pretty big himself.  I’m not sure that Power will “grow into it” any more than Dahlin has.  If Power isn’t playing extra physical at 6’5” 215 against other kids I’m not sure he will against NHL players.  He just isn’t a super physical player.

38 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

He just not that type this is why myers never  Worked out they wanted him to be this pronger type defenseman and hes not

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

You you see the fundamental contradiction of your two sentences here?  Dahlin is pretty big himself.  I’m not sure that Power will “grow into it” any more than Dahlin has.  If Power isn’t playing extra physical at 6’5” 215 against other kids I’m not sure he will against NHL players.  He just isn’t a super physical player.

Dahlin is a puck moving dman, so that’s not an accurate equivalency as they play two very different roles on the ice. I’m not going to pretend like I know everything about Power, this is baseball season for me and I couldn’t be more discouraged about the Sabres and hockey in general. But when I compare the two different picks, a quick glance tells me Power has a much better chance of playing the way I think we need to be playing eventually. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.