Shopping Jack Eichel: Chicago

dudacek

Will they be interested?

You're going to have ask Jonathan Toews.

Do they have the pieces?

Ummm...maybe? The Hawks have $21 million on LTIR. Half of that is not coming back due to the fake retirements of Brent Seabrook and Andrew Shaw. The other half is Toews, who walked away from hockey with a mysterious condition six months ago and has not provided any updates about his future since. With Toews, the Hawks have some room to manouevre under the cap and could use a star centre to build around  for their next phase. Without Toews, they have a blank slate and a huge hole at the top of their roster. As far as trade chips go, they don't have many, but they may have the most important piece.

Would this work?

Kirby Dach, Lukas Reichel and the 10th pick for Eichel.

People like throw around Byfield, Lafreniere and Zegras as the prime targets for Eichel. Dach is rarely thrown into that soup, and had mediocre numbers this year coming back from his World Juniors injury, but is at their level in terms of prospect potential. Reichel is their 1st rounder from last year and a JJ Peterka twin. It's not clear if the Hawks have the prospect depth to take such a big chunk out of the top, or if the Sabres would be willing to accept a package that is just futures. Chicago's plan is even murkier than the Sabres.

Is there a deal to be made with the Blackhawks?

This would be a great return for Jack.  Dach and Cozens had great chemistry for a minute before Dach’s injury.  Reichel can fly and has good chemistry with JJ. You would get a good player at 10 too. Draft Dach’s brother in the 2nd and you have a pair of big, physical forwards to move things forward.

Edited by Flashsabre

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

I appreciate all the work you put into these, they're very well done.

I'll 2nd @WildCard's bolded comment but what I find questionable not of your work but until we know exactly what Jack's prognosis is we could have a spectrum of we get basically nothing for him if he's really bad off to getting a bonanza if his condition has improved enough to get almost full value for him. At this point no-one outside Jack's management team and the Sabres truly know and they may not know yet either. What appears to be the only sure thing is that Jack doesn't make it to August 2021 as a Buffalo Sabres player if he's tradable. Also for those thinking they'd rather jump off a cliff than do this, who do you think won the Tavares free agency signing, Toronto or the NY Islanders because it's the Islanders who seem to be doing best without him.

24 minutes ago, jsb said:

I'll 2nd @WildCard's bolded comment but what I find questionable not of your work but until we know exactly what Jack's prognosis is we could have a spectrum of we get basically nothing for him if he's really bad off to getting a bonanza if his condition has improved enough to get almost full value for him. At this point no-one outside Jack's management team and the Sabres truly know and they may not know yet either. What appears to be the only sure thing is that Jack doesn't make it to August 2021 as a Buffalo Sabres player if he's tradable. Also for those thinking they'd rather jump off a cliff than do this, who do you think won the Tavares free agency signing, Toronto or the NY Islanders because it's the Islanders who seem to be doing best without him.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I really don't think Jack's condition could result in a whole spectrum of trades.

I see one of two trade scenarios happening:

1) Teams are OK with the medical reports and the Sabres flip him for the yet-to-be-established market value of a 24-year-old first-line centre on a long-term fair contract. (Pat Lafontaine trade 1.0)

2) Teams aren't OK with the medical reports and the Sabres flip him for a low-risk bid from a team willing and able to gamble (Pat Lafontaine trade 2.0)

What I'm saying is I don't see a huge chance of there being in-between bids. Most team doctors looking at the same reports are going to come to the same conclusions: health risk, or not. And I think that will mean they will be all-in, or all-out.

Don't get me wrong, teams will try to use the injury as a lever, but Adams doesn't have to fall for that.

If the consensus is health risk, I think the Sabres will be smarter to hang on to him until he proves he is not. The Sabres are not always smart.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

I hadn't considered Chicago at all. Not sure if they're on a youth movement or half and half or what. With the 2 massive contracts they have it seems unlikely, unless there is some sort of Kane to finish his career in Buffalo part of it (very unlikely). I really like Dach as a player. Was hoping he'd fall to us in that draft. Cozens was my second choice if Dach was taken. 

I'd trade Reinhart or somebody straight up for Dach if we could. 

5 hours ago, WildCard said:

I appreciate all the work you put into these, they're very well done.

That said I die a little inside each time a new one pops up.

When 31 Shopping Jack Eichels you reach, look as good, you will not. Hmm?   Eee-hee-heh-heh!

4 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Preemptive HARD NO for P Kane

Came here to also add my repeating line re: P Kane. He can sign a 3rd-line winger salary here in a couple years when his current deal is up. $2.5M/year to help his hometown team win a Cup. Just like it's working for Toronto with all their old guys "coming home." Nothing more.

Besides, we've got JJ Peterka coming. I hear he's the German Patrick Kane now.

5 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

When 31 Shopping Jack Eichels you reach, look as good, you will not. Hmm?   Eee-hee-heh-heh!

You know I’m counting on him to be traded before it gets anywhere near 31, right?

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

What are the odds this trade happens before the end of playoffs? Before draft day?

I'd do Reichel Dach and Debrincat. Chicago wouldn't 

I will be surprised if it’s not done by the draft, but it could be sooner.

The acquiring team will want Jack to start on whatever course of treatment is agreed upon ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Dach, Boqvist, Reichel and 1-10, Seabrook LTIR contract and conditional 2nd (If Ristolainen Is retained) for Eichel and Ristolainen.

I was wondering if I’m any trade they would ask us to take on Seabrook or Toews and ask us to put them on LTIR. There’s been no update on Toews has there?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.