Sabres Option: Trading the Pick for a Roster Player

Eleven

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

You’re not getting that much to go from 1 to 5 and Columbus isn’t dealing their pick unprotected (they know where they stand). But Risto and 1 for 5 and a goalie (or Jones as dudacek suggested) could be something to look at. You’d want a Jones extension signed, though.

The return wouldn't include 5OA this year.    

If somebody in the top 5 falls in love w Power, Buffalo certainly has the pieces to make something happen and perhaps net a quality veteran player or two and at the same time set themselves up nicely for the next couple of drafts if they're planning a mini-rebuild sans Eichel and Reinhart.    

Edited by pi2000

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

Absolutely, as long as it involves a good player 25-and-under who we can sign long term.

I am sick of the approach that the players we acquire have to be 20 or 18.

We have 12 players 25 and under on our roster picked in the top 35, six of them in the top 8.

Add some players who can lead Casey and Rasmus and Dylan, or be their partners, not more followers.

That's the problem, why would any player who gets traded here sign a long term deal if they don't have to?  I sound like a broken record here, but trade Eichel , Rienhart and Risto after trading ROR (and keep finishing last) and it will be near impossible to get quallity UFA's to sign here.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

The return wouldn't include 5OA this year.    

If somebody in the top 5 falls in love w Power, Buffalo certainly has the pieces to make something happen and perhaps net a quality veteran player or two and at the same time set themselves up nicely for the next couple of drafts if they're planning a mini-rebuild sans Eichel and Reinhart.    

You literally said “How about trading down to 5 (CBJ) for one of their goalies and their first next year (Shane Wright sweepstakes)?  Maybe throw Risto there too.”

So you’re trading down to five (meaning getting 5OA) and the other pieces. That’s what I was responding to.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

You literally said “How about trading down to 5 (CBJ) for one of their goalies and their first next year (Shane Wright sweepstakes)?  Maybe throw Risto there too.”

So you’re trading down to five (meaning getting 5OA) and the other pieces. That’s what I was responding to.

my bad, thought you were referring to the second proposal ✌️

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You people that want to give up Power are all f'n nuts. 

I want Power and am excited to get him at first overall, but I also enjoy the conversation over trades that will never happen because there is very little entertaining conversation to be had about this team currently.

33 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Is not good stay away 

I'm not convinced Seth Jones is flat out bad and because everyone who says he's bad just throws charts and zero other evidence out there it makes me hate charts.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I want Power and am excited to get him at first overall, but I also enjoy the conversation over trades that will never happen because there is very little entertaining conversation to be had about this team currently.

I'm not convinced Seth Jones is flat out bad and because everyone who says he's bad just throws charts and zero other evidence out there it makes me hate charts.

I agree on all this. Seth Jones is not bad. The idea he is bad boggles my mind. 

The number of trade options and possibilities if Eichel Reinhart and Risto are in play are so numerous and some are outlandish. I have to admit, if nothing happens with any of that it'll be one hell of a come down. 

9 hours ago, Hoss said:

The charts don't lie or the eyes   He's the blue jackets Ristolainen 

48 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

So you're moving back spots for a player thats a little bit better 

d4f768e8899152b5efb6d1cf9e584116.gif

Actually I was more expressing my frustration about the people who say Seth Jones is garbage based wholly on charts.

My eye test on Jones, based mostly on the Toronto playoffs last year, the Tampa series the year before and a lot of games against the Sabres, is that he is very good. I have not watched him this year and I know his charts don't look good. I have yet to read about what flaws in his game are causing his charts to look that way. I tend to think the fact he eats tough minutes on a bad team is the main reason why, but I am open to others changing my mind.

To the portion of my post you are responding to, I think the difference between Jones and Risto might be bigger than the gap between #1 and #5, but I don't have a strong opinion on that, mostly because I don't have strong opinions on some of the players that might be available at 5.

If it's Eklund or Beniers though, I'm all over that.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Actually I was more expressing my frustration about the people who say Seth Jones is garbage based wholly on charts.

My eye test on Jones, based mostly on the Toronto playoffs last year, the Tampa series the year before and a lot of games against the Sabres, is that he is very good. I have not watched him this year and I know his charts don't look good. I have yet to read about what flaws in his game are causing his charts to look that way. I tend to think the fact he eats tough minutes on a bad team is the main reason why, but I am open to others changing my mind.

To the portion of my post you are responding to, I think the difference between Jones and Risto might be bigger than the gap between #1 and #5, but I don't have a strong opinion on that, mostly because I don't have strong opinions on some of the players that might be available at 5.

If it's Eklund or Beniers though, I'm all over that.

No one that I can see is using the data to suggest Jones is “garbage”, that would be ridiculous. People are using the data to suggest Jones isn’t the pillar plenty consider him to be 

He was being suggested as a primary piece in an Eichel deal - he’s not that 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.