Sabres Option: Trading the Pick for a Roster Player

Eleven

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

No he is not. A 5’9 centre without blazing speed and a serious medical issue. He is in the same ballpark as Quinn and he isn’t fetching a 1 OA pick.

I think if he was in this class Rossi would have been ranked #1. A fair few actually had him as the best prospect in last year's draft. It depends how worried you are about the health issue but if not for that I wouldn't even question for a second who I'd prefer to have in the fold. Especially considering position 

Regardless, you aren't getting Dumba with the pick. Maybe Rossi and their 1st if they have serious concerns about his health. 

Dumba, Rossi, and 20 whatever would be a slam dunk for us. That tells me it's not possible. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I think if he was in this class Rossi would have been ranked #1. A fair few actually had him as the best prospect in last year's draft. It depends how worried you are about the health issue but if not for that I wouldn't even question for a second who I'd prefer to have in the fold. Especially considering position 

Rossi had covid related myocarditis from my understanding and it is now gone. Never heard if he got the all clear to ramp up to full training but he was rapidly approaching that in April. 

https://theathletic.com/2547710/2021/04/27/exclusive-minnesota-wilds-marco-rossi-on-covid-19-complications-im-just-happy-that-im-still-alive/?source=emp_shared_article

Just now, Buffalonill said:

This calls for a  Commercial break

giphy.webp

I have so many questions

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What does this mean?

It means Rossi and Quinn are similar tier prospects and Quinn isn’t fetching a 1 OA draft pick in a trade. I realize that some think Rossi is a God but reality is he is a 5’9 player without blazing speed and has just gone through serious medical issues.

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

It means Rossi and Quinn are similar tier prospects and Quinn isn’t fetching a 1 OA draft pick in a trade. I realize that some think Rossi is a God but reality is he is a 5’9 player without blazing speed and has just gone through serious medical issues.

It's less a reflection of Rossi and Quinn being worthy of a first overall pick and more about the top pick this year not being worthy of a first overall pick 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

Being 5'9" is irrelevant considering what Rossi can do. I would not put Quinn in the same tier, in fact Quinn is the tier below Rossi's and I only hope I am wrong on that. 

Just now, Thorny said:

It's less a reflection of Rossi and Quinn being worthy of a first overall pick and more about the top pick this year not being worthy of a first overall pick 

It's more of a reflection that 2020 had more talent and depth than 2021. Rossi in the 2021 draft is easily in the 1st overall conversation. 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That is personal opinion though. Gallant thinks he will be a superstar.  Craig Button thinks he will be an impact dman for a decade. I personally think Power’s upside is greater then a Rossi or Quinn.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

That is personal opinion though. Gallant thinks he will be a superstar.  Craig Button thinks he will be an impact dman for a decade. I personally think Power’s upside is greater then a Rossi or Quinn.  

How do you feel about Andre Svechnikov or Quinton Byfield? Because those are the closest comparables to Rossi's primary ohl production and both were below his. 

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Rossi had covid related myocarditis from my understanding and it is now gone. Never heard if he got the all clear to ramp up to full training but he was rapidly approaching that in April. 

https://theathletic.com/2547710/2021/04/27/exclusive-minnesota-wilds-marco-rossi-on-covid-19-complications-im-just-happy-that-im-still-alive/?source=emp_shared_article

I have so many questions

A few days ago he skated for the first time since testing positive which was an awesome thing to see

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

How do you feel about Andre Svechnikov or Quinton Byfield? Because those are the closest comparables to Rossi's primary ohl production and both were below his. 

Yes but that doesn’t guarantee his NHL production. Different, players, different teams, different circumstances.  I think he is a good player but I don’t think a single GM in the league would trade the 1 OA for him, especially after his health scare.

For me, this team needs a tear down rebuild. They need more young assets, not just different ones. Keep the 1 OA and draft. Use the malcontents Eichel, Reinhart, Risto to go after more high end young pieces like Byfield or Rossi or whoever.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Yes but that doesn’t guarantee his NHL production. Different, players, different teams, different circumstances.  I think he is a good player but I don’t think a single GM in the league would trade the 1 OA for him, especially after his health scare.

For me, this team needs a tear down rebuild. They need more young assets, not just different ones. Keep the 1 OA and draft. Use the malcontents Eichel, Reinhart, Risto to go after more high end young pieces like Byfield or Rossi or whoever.

"Winning the lottery will allow Botterill better opportunity to "tear it down to the studs"". 

Here We Go Again GIF

• Thanks (+1) 1

Any team trading for Rossi would want to see the results of His Echocardiogram, Pulmonary Function Tests and Exercise Tolerance Testing before making a trade for Him. 

In a very similar fashion, teams would want to see Eichel’s Pre and Post Rehab MRIs and medical records 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

My issue with trading 1 overall for a roster player - the team isn't 1 player away.  Even with a healthy(ish?) jack to start the year, taylor hall, staal, etc. this was a below .500 team.  After they fired Krueger, they were still a below .500 team. 

The team has huge holes at goalie, and depending what they get back in trades - center.  Bloated contracts on the wings that they can't really get out of.  It's also not a free agent destination.  So turning over the roster almost has to happen through trades and drafting.

36 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

My issue with trading 1 overall for a roster player - the team isn't 1 player away.  Even with a healthy(ish?) jack to start the year, taylor hall, staal, etc. this was a below .500 team.  After they fired Krueger, they were still a below .500 team. 

The team has huge holes at goalie, and depending what they get back in trades - center.  Bloated contracts on the wings that they can't really get out of.  It's also not a free agent destination.  So turning over the roster almost has to happen through trades and drafting.

If Eichel is here, they already have the hardest piece to get. No, what we have isn’t enough, but we have pieces here that make acquiring the supplementation needed a reasonable proposition. If we upgrade in net, make a better read at 4C than Cody Eakin, and trade a combination of things including a couple of our extra picks for a top 6 addition. Been saying that all along. Eichel and Reinhart are easily still young enough to fit in well with the Dahlins and Cozens and Quinns and Peterkas and the 1OA. We haven’t even *seen* Eichel with depth yet and what if our young guys are the real deal? I hate that we are going to cut lose that potential 

• Like (+1) 2

How about trading down to 5 (CBJ) for one of their goalies and their first next year (Shane Wright sweepstakes)?  Maybe throw Risto there too.    

Or something like... 1 OA, Reinhart and Risto for Jones, 2022 1st and Merzlikins.  

20 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

How about trading down to 5 (CBJ) for one of their goalies and their first next year (Shane Wright sweepstakes)?  Maybe throw Risto there too.    

Or something like... 1 OA, Reinhart and Risto for Jones, 2022 1st and Merzlikins.  

Risto and 1 for Jones and 5 is worth looking at.

Sam for Merzlikins is terrible, IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

You’re not getting that much to go from 1 to 5 and Columbus isn’t dealing their pick unprotected (they know where they stand). But Risto and 1 for 5 and a goalie (or Jones as dudacek suggested) could be something to look at. You’d want a Jones extension signed, though.

44 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Risto and 1 for Jones and 5 is worth looking at.

Sam for Merzlikins is terrible, IMO.

Is one year of upgrade from Risto to Jones worth  trading down from 1 to 5?

Also Jones can submit a list of 10 teams he can’t be traded to, and Buffalo probably makes that list.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

I see you follow Eliot Friedman 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.