Sabres Option: Trading the Pick for a Roster Player

Eleven

I know Craig Reevay broached the subject on the radio.  I see a scenario with Seattle much more plausible than trading for a rostered player.  If the Kraken really want Owen Power to be the face of their franchise and the Sabres really like a player not named Owen Power a lot more, a see a deal worked out with the Kraken guaranteeing they’ll take player x in the expansion draft so the Sabres can keep all the players they like, draft the kid they want and Seattle getting their face.  Doubt any of it happens though. 

• Like (+1) 3

This would be my preferred option. Certainly if we were keeping Jack (we aren't), and probably even still if we weren't. People that sure we are rebuilding say dealing for a "now" player would be a mistake - maybe true just don't think we should be rebuilding, then, I guess. 

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If the decision is made to move on from Eichel and/or Reinhart, I could see including the first as a trade with one of them to get someone really, really good back.

I just don’t know how much Owen Power tips the scale here.  Jack and Sam are top line talent in their prime. Power most likely won’t step in and dominate.  He’ll probably need some seasoning.  I don’t know how that timeline would work with anyone acquiring Jack and Sam.  

• Like (+1) 1

There have been a lot of threads going around and I'm not sure this deserves another one but:  as a thought experiment what if the Sabres were to make one blockbuster trade in the offseason, what might it look like?  So maybe Eich, Reino, Risto, maybe a salary dump (Okie/Skinner), and the first, for.... ?  Is there a team out there who would trade a couple of top sixers back, along with a strong goalie prospect/#1 goalie, and....?

Is there a team out there that needs to shake things up to that extent?  Maybe Toronto or Edmonton (ugh) who seem to have a good team but never get deep in the playoffs?

I'm thinking of players that would complement what everyone is starting to call the young core.

Edited by Doohickie

Absolutely, as long as it involves a good player 25-and-under who we can sign long term.

I am sick of the approach that the players we acquire have to be 20 or 18.

We have 12 players 25 and under on our roster picked in the top 35, six of them in the top 8.

Add some players who can lead Casey and Rasmus and Dylan, or be their partners, not more followers.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Absolutely, as long as it involves a good player 25-and-under who we can sign long term.

We have 12 players 25 and under on our roster picked in the top 35, six of them in the top 8.

Add some players who can lead Casey and Rasmus and Dylan, or be their partners, not more followers.

Abso-freaking-lutely.   Like they should have done 6-7 seasons ago.

My only concern with this plan is, any team that would be trading a real good player for the chance to draft Power (I saw that twitch, liger) is a team that is adjusting their timeline.  Otherwise, what would be their motivation?  So I’m not sure we’d get a really good 23-25 yr old player.  More likely we’d get a player of UFA age, 27ish.

Depending on the player I might be on board,  but the field would be pretty narrow methinks.

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Spot on. Assuming we are dealing Jack, either that trade needs to bring back good win now players, or this pick needs to. 

14 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

So, who are these magical players that they would trade the 1OA pick for?

I dislike this straw man. You give me all the access and contacts Kevyn Adams has, and I'll tell you

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Spot on. Assuming we are dealing Jack, either that trade needs to bring back good win now players, or this pick needs to. 

I dislike this straw man. You give me all the access and contacts Kevyn Adams has, and I'll tell you

Not a straw man. Everyone says, “Hey let’s trade the 1 OA pick.” I’m asking For Who? Put some names to it since the 1OA never gets traded.  What are people’s thoughts on a player worthy of trading the 1 OA for.

Edited by Flashsabre

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Not a straw man. Everyone says, “Hey let’s trade the 1 OA pick.” I’m asking For Who? Put some names to it since the 1OA never gets traded.  What are people’s thoughts on a player worthy of trading the 1 OA for.

Your use of the term "magical" implied that the player couldn't even exist 

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Absolutely not! There is a good probability that the Sabres are going to get some young players with upside who will be able to play right away if Jack and Reinhart are dealt. So they will be added to the roster mix before the pick is made. With the traded first pick that you are calling for we are losing a player (Power or Benier) who will be a quality player for a long time and will be under their cheaper rookie contract. For those who are following your recommendation ask yourself if they would they be happy if the Sabres traded the pick in which we selected Cozens? 

Expediency is not the solution for an organization that systemically failed taking that enticing route. It's time that this organization starts doing things the right way and follow through instead of being seduced by the quick fix that never seems to fix anything. Again, with no equivocation: Hell no! 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm all for keeping the pic, or just trading down one or two spots but not for a roster player.

The team with the current core is shot, there's no winning the cup in the next year or two, so I'd rather re-enter a rebuild with young top draft picks, not existing NHL roster players.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.