Shopping Jack Eichel: Los Angeles

dudacek

Will they be interested?

The Insiders certainly seem to think so. But it does make sense. Eichel is both young enough to lead the wave of second generation Kings and old enough to give the old guard one last kick at the can. And the old guard seems to be demanding that. Kopitar to Eichel to Byfield is the stuff of torch-passing franchise dreams. He is also a star in a city that seems to need them.

Do they have the pieces?

Yes. The Kings have a ton of cap space and one of the deepest pools of young players in the league.

Would this work?

Turcotte, Kempe, Fagemo and the 8th pick for Eichel.

Ive been approaching these threads from the perspective of what do these teams have that I could see them giving up for Eichel that might interest the Sabres. They aren’t deals I am endorsing or calling likely or even really passing judgement on. But in the spirit of @#freejame’s thread this is one I could really see happening. In fact, I think the actual trade will look a lot like this. It fits the character of each franchise, Kings fans will say it is too much and Sabres fans will say it is not enough.

Kempe is kind of a no-brainer; the Sabres need a now piece, and to take some money back. He’s really the only piece LA has that fits the profile. Turcotte is the centrepiece. He’s not the centrepiece Sabres fans want, but he is a four-star prospect, a centre, a product of USAhockey a 5th overall pick and the kind of gritty two-way player I think Adams favours. There are better prospects out there, but there won’t be better ones on the table. A Frolunda product, Fagemo is a player from the Kings 2nd prospect tier I think the Sabres will target. He’s got skill and, again, the relentless quality I think we are looking for. The Kings will not want to move him, but it’s the cost of acquiring Eichel and, they can afford it. Both he and Turcotte could play in Buffalo next year. The 8th pick is the wildcard that pushes this deal over the top. A lot of picks will be offered. This will be among the highest. With two seconds, and two thirds this year, and a strong system even after moving Turcotte and Fagemo, the Kings can afford the sacrifice.

Is there a deal to be made with the Kings?

Edited by dudacek

I would require Byfield, and my only willingness to bargain would be with Turcotte + Vilardi. Effectively I either want their Top Center prospect or their #2&3.

Kempe certainly makes sense

We will need to take some kind of cap dump; ideally we get Dustin Brown since he's a leader and from Ithaca. More likely they would want to give us Quick, his primary problem would be barring a huge bounce back to adequacy; we'd be forced to bury him or re-trade him just to get a solid 1/2 punch in net.  

From there I'd want #8 and a lottery protected 1st in 2022. I'd imagine they would think they'd have a good enough team to make the playoffs with a center group of Eichel-Kopitar-Byfield.

That gives us 4 1sts effectively.

Kempe+Vilardi = 1.5 1sts

Turcotte = 1 1st

Brown = -.5 1sts

1st in 2021 = 1 1st

1st in 2022/23 - 1 1st

For Buffalo we'd shed approximately 300 to 400k on the salary cap depending on Brown/Quick. Gain 2 young NHL players and a prospect C with a vet for 1/2 years and a pair of 1sts to help flood our prospect pool with potential.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Why do we need to take on a dump?

Kings have $20 million in space, no one significant to sign, and a ton cheap ELCs to fill out the roster.

They would probably want us to based on the fact we would be gutting that ELC pool 🙂 Plus I'm trying to get as much as physically possible.

5 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

They would probably want us to based on the fact we would be gutting that ELC pool 🙂 Plus I'm trying to get as much as physically possible.

That still have Villardi, Anderson-Dolan, Kupari, Byfield, Thomas, Kaliyev, Maddenand Anderson up-front.

They actually need to move some kids to give the others places to play.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

That still have Villardi, Anderson-Dolan, Kupari, Byfield, Thomas, Kaliyev, Maddenand Anderson up-front.

They actually need to move some kids to give the others places to play.

Well technically I'm taking either Turcotte + Vilardi or Byfield but otherwise you are right

6 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I would require Byfield, and my only willingness to bargain would be with Turcotte + Vilardi. Effectively I either want their Top Center prospect or their #2&3.

Kempe certainly makes sense

We will need to take some kind of cap dump; ideally we get Dustin Brown since he's a leader and from Ithaca. More likely they would want to give us Quick, his primary problem would be barring a huge bounce back to adequacy; we'd be forced to bury him or re-trade him just to get a solid 1/2 punch in net.  

From there I'd want #8 and a lottery protected 1st in 2022. I'd imagine they would think they'd have a good enough team to make the playoffs with a center group of Eichel-Kopitar-Byfield.

That gives us 4 1sts effectively.

Kempe+Vilardi = 1.5 1sts

Turcotte = 1 1st

Brown = -.5 1sts

1st in 2021 = 1 1st

1st in 2022/23 - 1 1st

For Buffalo we'd shed approximately 300 to 400k on the salary cap depending on Brown/Quick. Gain 2 young NHL players and a prospect C with a vet for 1/2 years and a pair of 1sts to help flood our prospect pool with potential.

You are asking for too much.  Even more than you say you would need.  Check your math.

This is the one everyone has focused on, for good reason. They lack the NHL-now pieces that would be ideal but their prospect pool is as good as it gets. Byfield is obviously the prize but including him in a package severely diminishes anything else you might ask for. Would Byfield, Kempe and 8 be enough? Because that’s probably the absolute mask you get if he’s included (and you might not get that).

A guy that never gets mentioned with them is RHD prospect Helge Grans. I admittedly don’t know a ton about him but the 35th overall pick in last year’s draft was considered a high-risk/high-upside pick that needed to make several improvements but took a leap last year in his second year in the SEL.

29 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I put the trade in on CapFriendly, plus Vilardi and Kempe would both be in the NHL

You need to account for the players that those guys would displace from the Sabres’ roster.

Salaries of Brown, Kempe, Vilardi, and Turcotte

vs 

Salaries of Eichel, and the 3 other players that would have been making at least the league minimum.

Is Byfield ready to make the move up to the NHL or is he a year or so away? Even if he needs more time I would love to have him in our pipeline. 

What makes the trade calculation for Jack (if it comes to pass) tricky is that we don't know what his health status is and what the implications are for playing next season or even career? This is a case where the GM has to wait and see how it unfolds. If another team is willing to gamble on Jack's health and make a fair-value offer then I would do it if it is determined that Jack wants out. 

You have got to give LA credit for the impressive way it has stocked its system with top tier prospects. Getting a healthy Jack even at the expense of some of their prized young assets will accelerate their competitive timeline and make them more marketable. 

Not that long ago @Thornyposted Jack's goal scoring highlights for 2019. Because he didn't play much last year it is easy to forget how talented he is. This is not a situation where you make a deal for the sake of making a deal.  

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Is Byfield ready to make the move up to the NHL or is he a year or so away? Even if he needs more time I would love to have him in our pipeline. 

What makes the trade calculation for Jack (if it comes to pass) tricky is that we don't know what his health status is and what the implications are for playing next season or even career? This is a case where the GM has to wait and see how it unfolds. If another team is willing to gamble on Jack's health and make a fair-value offer then I would do it if it is determined that Jack wants out. 

You have got to give LA credit for the impressive way it has stocked its system with top tier prospects. Getting a healthy Jack even at the expense of some of their prized young assets will accelerate their competitive timeline and make them more marketable. 

Not that long ago @Thornyposted Jack's goal scoring highlights for 2019. Because he didn't play much last year it is easy to forget how talented he is. This is not a situation where you make a deal for the sake of making a deal.  

Jason Karmanos mentioned that certain players who are eligible to be returned to their OHL Clubs in Their D+2 Year might develop bad habits playing against that level of talent. Byfield will probably be a 3C with the Kings next season for that reason. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Jason Karmanos mentioned that certain players who are eligible to be returned to their OHL Clubs in Their D+2 Year might develop bad habits playing against that level of talent. Byfield will probably be a 3C with the Kings next season for that reason. 

I would love to have him included in a Jack deal. In two to three years he could develop into a 1C or 2C caliber of player. Getting a young player who can make the roster now and have plenty of upside is the right way to rebuild. In a proposed deal I would want more than this high-end prospect but including him would make the deal more appealing. If you add him to the Mitts and Cozens center mix then the pieces are starting to fall in place. 

It should be considered that #8 should put the Sabres in a good position to grab a very good offensive prospect.

Think McTavish, or Johnson, or even Guenther or Eklund. (After Beniers, Power, Hughes, Clarke, Edvinsson and maybe Wallstedt).

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I would love to have him included in a Jack deal. In two to three years he could develop into a 1C or 2C caliber of player. Getting a young player who can make the roster now and have plenty of upside is the right way to rebuild. In a proposed deal I would want more than this high-end prospect but including him would make the deal more appealing. If you add him to the Mitts and Cozens center mix then the pieces are starting to fall in place. 

I would as well. and would take less in return to make it happen. 

Byfield, Zegras, Rossi and Jarvis would be My Intended Targets. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

It should be considered that #8 should put the Sabres in a good position to grab a very good offensive prospect.

Think McTavish, or Johnson, or even Guenther or Eklund. (After Beniers, Power, Hughes, Clarke, Edvinsson and maybe Wallstedt).

Or one of the defensive prospects after Beniers is selected First. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I would as well. and would take less in return to make it happen. 

Byfield, Zegras, Rossi and Jarvis would be My Intended Targets. 

Or one of the defensive prospects after Beniers is selected First. 

The Sabres’ focus should be on a 5-star prospect - Byfield or Zegras or Lafreniere - even if it means the secondary pieces are far less. I’m very interested to know if any is on the table and my estimation of Adams would go up if he can bring one of them back.

(Take a look at where I listed Beniers)

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

LA does not want to lose QB in this trade.  Agree with others you need two other prospects to equal QB.  I like the structure of @thewookie1 trade.  I would tweak it as I think there is sweetener required based on the uncertainty of the injury.  

Sabres trade: 

• Jack
  • Risto
  • Olofsson 

Kings trade

• Turcotte
  • Vilardi
  • Kaliyev
  • #8 overall
  • Quick

I would want Byfield for sure, then throw in a young NHL player, a prospect, and #8.  But I’m greedy. 

I traded Mahovlich to add a few more ready players and squeeze one more cup out of my aging line up.  Besides, he iratated me with his one way play and I just know he was going to ask for more money.  

There is no doubt in my mind the Sabres have decided to trade Eichel. There is  also little doubt in my mind that they have had preliminary conversations with many teams and have a good sense of the potential return.

How many people believe the decision to trade Eichel has been made because they already know they are going to get an Eichel-worthy return, and how many think they simply decided they need him gone and they are going to take the best offer available between now and the draft?

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.