Sabres' Option: Matthew Beniers

LGR4GM

19 minutes ago, Curt said:

That’s different.  Cozens is clearly a star in the making and future Sabres Captain.

A good comparison I have heard before is Jonathan Toews. Substance over style. That includes a tough and grinding style as opposed to a finesse style of play. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

A good comparison I have heard before is Jonathan Toews. Substance over style. That includes a tough and grinding style as opposed to a finesse style of play. 

After watching more tape and talking to a few scouts... Beniers is a high motor 200ft pest who lacks scoring touch, lacks an NHL level shot, the vast majority of his goals are scored around the net front cleaning up.    His top end speed is lacking, has trouble beating defenders to the outside.    However, he has elite quickness and moves well in and out of cuts.    Is easily the best defensive forward among the top prospects, but lacks high level awareness in the offensive zone normally present in top forward prospects.

That said I just don't see much offensive upside in his game.... if you're going to draft him fine, but I'd look to do so in the 3-5 range, not #1.     

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

After watching more tape and talking to a few scouts... Beniers is a high motor 200ft pest who lacks scoring touch, lacks an NHL level shot, the vast majority of his goals are scored around the net front cleaning up.    His top end speed is lacking, has trouble beating defenders to the outside.    However, he has elite quickness and moves well in and out of cuts.    Is easily the best defensive forward among the top prospects, but lacks high level awareness in the offensive zone normally present in top forward prospects.

That said I just don't see much offensive upside in his game.... if you're going to draft him fine, but I'd look to do so in the 3-5 range, not #1.     

I was responding to @Curt's post. I was comparing Cozens to Toews, not Beniers. I am an ardent advocate for selecting Power with our first pick. I am proudly a member the the Power-stan club. And I will not yield on the selection unless there is a very tempting/bonanza offer for the pick.

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I was responding to @Curt's post. I was comparing Cozens to Toews, not Beniers. I am an ardent advocate for selecting Power with our first pick. I am proudly a member the the Power-stan club. And I will not yield on the selection unless there is a very tempting/bonanza offer for the pick.

Ahh, gotcha.    I agree Cozens and Toews are more similar than Beniers and Toews.

Both Power and Beniers are good prospects IMO.  

In a normal draft year I don't believe either are worthy of a top 3 pick. 

I'm team Power because I believe he has rare traits, but... that said, he has deficiencies that concern me.... which can be said about all the top prospects this year.

It just sucks that Buffalo has the #1 pick in what is shaping up to be a lean draft year.   

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.