Would you trade down one slot?

GASabresIUFAN

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

If eichel is gone and we get Zegras or Byfield in return then I just draft Power.    

Just imagine having him and Dhalin anchor a line and be on the ice  together last two minutes of tight games.
And if we trade Eichel I'm expecting a  2021 1st in return anyway to draft another forward.   So no I don't trade down unless Francis likes Skinner.

I think it's unlikely Dahlin moves to his off-hand and plays top pair minutes doing such 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

Oh do you mean that they are automatically protected without taking up a “protection spot” for expansion? Again I didn’t know that. Cool!

I'm not sure that they don't count against your protected numbers but thought they had to be protected unless they waive that clause.

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

NMCs require protection, and take up one of the protected slots. NTCs do not require protection.

Thanks.

soooo KO would have to waive that in order to be in play to be traded to Seattle.    

So …

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

KO is on the books for two more years and he as a M-NTC. So he would have to agree and waive it.  I guess that’s assuming a lot, assuming he would waive it to go to an expansion team.

• Like (+1) 1

Don't mean to hijack the thread but...

I would be curious if the Kraken might consider Sam and a third (maybe Boston 2nd) for 2nd overall? This would only happen if Sam refused a mid-long term deal offered by the Sabres and the draft pick is contingent upon taking Colin Miller in the expansion draft. That way, the team gets best available player (Power) as well forward of choice.

10 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Thanks.

soooo KO would have to waive that in order to be in play to be traded to Seattle.    

So …

No.  KO wouldn’t need to waive his limited no trade clause, because he isn’t being traded.  In the scenario presented, he is being selected in the expansion draft, in which he doesn’t need to be protected.

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

No.  KO wouldn’t need to waive his limited no trade clause, because he isn’t being traded.  In the scenario presented, he is being selected in the expansion draft, in which he doesn’t need to be protected.

OK I’m missing something… I’m sorry. My brain isn’t with me today I guess.

if he is selected in the expansion draft. With his modified no trade clause, isn’t there a scenario where he can refuse to be “sent” to Seattle? Being selected  by the expansion team… His contract offers no protection from that? if that’s the case… That is some thing new that I just learned. his contract offers him modified protection from being traded but absolutely no protection from being selected in an expansion team scenario. Interesting …

8 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

OK I’m missing something… I’m sorry. My brain isn’t with me today I guess.

if he is selected in the expansion draft. With his modified no trade clause, isn’t there a scenario where he can refuse to be “sent” to Seattle? Being selected  by the expansion team… His contract offers no protection from that? if that’s the case… That is some thing new that I just learned. his contract offers him modified protection from being traded but absolutely no protection from being selected in an expansion team scenario. Interesting …

Correct.  He can refuse a trade to certain teams, but expansion draft is a whole different deal.  No protection from that.

A full NMC offers expansion draft protection.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

I would be in favor of trading down more than 1 spot.

I would trade down in order to receive the largest package with the most pieces, and use the opportunity to team build in a way that is much greater than adding 1 new kid to the pile.

The trick is finding the team that will dance and give you enough pieces to make it work.

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Let’s  say for arguments sake that the Kraken want the 1st overall pick for PR and other reasons and want Owen Power to be their anchor D man for the next decade.  

Is there a deal to be had here? 

I think there is especially if the Sabres want Beniers or a different D.  

Why not trade down to 2nd and have Sea take KO off our hands in the expansion draft? 

Chris Peters was on WGR talking about this draft and talking about Power. He addressed the issue of Power vs Beniers. He was complimentary towards Beniers but felt that Power would be the best selection. As of now my stance is to not over-think the draft and simply take the best player. He also pointed out that the Sabres have two scouts who are very familiar with Power. This is a 10 min. segment.  

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/podcasts/howard-and-jeremy-20258/06-03-chris-peters-from-the-talking-hockey-sense-podcast-422618288

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Let’s  say for arguments sake that the Kraken want the 1st overall pick for PR and other reasons and want Owen Power to be their anchor D man for the next decade.  

Is there a deal to be had here? 

I think there is especially if the Sabres want Beniers or a different D.  

Why not trade down to 2nd and have Sea take KO off our hands in the expansion draft? 

Absolutely, I want Beniers to be honest.  What they would take off of us?  Skinner would have to waive his NMC.  

Edited by TheCerebral1

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

2 stud D is very important.

So, I would not trade the pick.  I'd pick Power.

Very valid point.  I don't really mind Power at all, however he's really good at quite a few things. 

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

If eichel is gone and we get Zegras or Byfield in return then I just draft Power.    

Just imagine having him and Dhalin anchor a line and be on the ice  together last two minutes of tight games.
And if we trade Eichel I'm expecting a  2021 1st in return anyway to draft another forward.   So no I don't trade down unless Francis likes Skinner.

I like this idea. I wouldn’t move down 1 spot to get rid of KO. He’s really not that big of a problem and he’s temporary. I would absolutely move down 1 spot to get rid of Skinner. He is twice the problem KO is and he’s not that temporary. 

Another move I would consider is swapping places with Anaheim or LA to sweeten a deal to get Zegras or Byfield, in addition to other players. It’s a pie-in-the-sky idea that either would be involved in a trade for Eichel. I know, I know; we all hope they would be, but I just don’t realistically see it. If swapping firsts gets them in them in the conversation, then I’ll do it. Especially for Zegras. I would trade down any lower than LA though. 

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

So we're going to invest millions of dollars to sign him this summer and place him at spot we haven't seen him yet in the nhl.

Edited by Buffalonill

6 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I'm trading down with Seattle to have them take KO in expansion draft.  

I then trade down to NJ or Vancouver if they want to take Hughes!!

I really don’t see KO as this problematic. He may be a little pricey for the position he plays, but he is a vet and a good soldier. Plus, sending KO out produces a new hole, which we’ll have to spend money on. So, what really is the net savings? If we were to do this, I would want a 2nd/3rd rounded coming back too. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I just think its a Silly pick when we have other needs .

Maybe if you're talking mid to late round. First top picks? Best available every time. JMO no need to share it.

1 minute ago, Radar said:

Maybe if you're talking mid to late round. First top picks? Best available every time. JMO no need to share it.

It feels like this organization is going backwards you're about to trade your franchise center and sam .

You're only left with casey and cozens who knows if he will  Regress.

They cant draft A guy that will likely take 3-4  years to be an impact player

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.