Sabres' options: Owen Power

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, steveoath said:

If we do pick Power, and if he plays well enough for a call up at seasons end. How many games does he (or any other similarly positioned prospect) get before a year of ELC is burned?

10 games before the ELC kicks in

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!
clarification
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, steveoath said:

If we do pick Power, and if he plays well enough for a call up at seasons end. How many games does he (or any other similarly positioned prospect) get before a year of ELC is burned?

If it’s an 82 game season, the answer is 9 games.  Any more than that, and the 1st year of the ELC gets burned.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Final Rankings: Pronman

https://theathletic.com/2620093/2021/06/15/nhl-draft-prospects-ranking-2021-corey-pronmans-final-top-151/

1) Power

2) Guenther

3) Eklund

4) Hughes

5) Beniers 

This is of particular interest to me:

"Michigan defenseman Owen Power is the probable first pick, but most team sources agree he would be in the mix to be the second or third pick in the 2020 draft."

Not as highly-rated as Lafreniere, on a level with Byfield and Stutzle.

It appears those Byfield for 1OA speculators weren't totally out of line.

16 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

10 games before the ELC kicks in

15 hours ago, Curt said:

If it’s an 82 game season, the answer is 9 games.  Any more than that, and the 1st year of the ELC gets burned.

That’s only for CHL Players. As a college player His ELC kicks in as soon as it’s signed. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

That’s only for CHL Players. As a college player His ELC kicks in as soon as it’s signed. 

I don't understand all of this. Bryson signed on April 15, 2019 out of NCAA, why didn't his ELC kick in for the 2018-2019 season?

44 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

His NCAA eligibility is terminated as soon as his contract is signed. His ELC can still slide as long as he doesn't play 10 NHL games. However most college players who join NHL teams late in the season after Their NCAA season has ended negotiate a provision that a year be burned off their ELC upon signing. It's a leverage play from a smart player, who is generally an undrafted NCAA player coming into the league as a college free agent.

• Like (+1) 1

This offseason is a brilliant opportunity to remake the entire roster. Buffalo should stack its team with guys who are 6'6 and over. They might not be good but they'd be spectacular. 

Edited by Kong

• 1 month later...

https://theathletic.com/2531736/2021/07/22/hes-just-different-the-makings-of-owen-power-the-2021-nhl-drafts-presumptive-no-1-pick?source=user-shared-article 

“People want to say ‘well, he’s such a good skater for his size’ and I think to myself ‘no, no, no, hold on here, regardless of his size he’s a good skater,'” Pearson said.

Sheahan and Power still keep in touch, regularly texting and FaceTiming. Sheahan argues his old Steel defenseman would be in the conversation for the top pick even if he were a few inches shorter.

“I still think he’d be the best defenseman that I’ve ever coached or player that I’ve been around if he were 6-foot-2. It makes it even more exceptional, not less, that he’s that big,” Sheahan said.

“His approach, his mindset, and the way he thinks the game is really what’s elite about him. "

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.