Sabres' options: Owen Power

LGR4GM

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Read a few interesting articles suggesting Power could be immediately used as a power forward with comparisons to Byfuglien and Burns in terms of a possible development path. I find that idea intriguing. 

No offense, but that’s a terrible idea.

If Power is such a good defenseman that he is the best pick at #1, you shouldn’t need to ease him in at F.

Playing forward was not part of a planned development path for Byfuglien or Burns.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Curt said:

Power is almost as vital to success as Troy Stecher!  Take this kid #1!

Eichel and Reinhart to Detroit for Stetcher?😜🤪😂🤣

Seriously though the trust Gallant has put in the kid is unbelievable.  He is the youngest player to play for Canada at the Worlds and is been given monster ice time.

50 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Seriously though the trust Gallant has put in the kid is unbelievable.  He is the youngest player to play for Canada at the Worlds and is been given monster ice time.

What else were they going to do?  Give those minutes to some journeyman scrub instead?

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I don’t disagree, but it has to be said that this is a very abnormally weak year for the worlds.  Many players who would normally go turned it down.  I think it’s relevant to consider that.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

What else were they going to do?  Give those minutes to some journeyman scrub instead?

13 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t disagree, but it has to be said that this is a very abnormally weak year for the worlds.  Many players who would normally go turned it down.  I think it’s relevant to consider that.

These rosters are made up of depth NHL players. It’s absolutely notable and impressive that Power is already able to outplay all of them at 18 (not just 18, but the youngest player to ever lace up the skates for the world’s best hockey country).

Edited by Hoss

14 minutes ago, Hoss said:

These rosters are made up of depth NHL players. It’s absolutely notable and impressive that Power is already able to outplay all of them at 18 (not just 18, but the youngest player to ever lace up the skates for the world’s best hockey country).

Yes, it’s notable.  He is good. 

It’s also notable that these rosters are extremely weak for a men’s world championship tournament.

If he is the pick at #1 I’m cautiously ok with it.  I seem to like him a little less than most, but I expect him to be a good player.

Edited by Curt

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Yes, it’s notable.  He is good. 

It’s also notable that these rosters are extremely weak for a men’s world championship tournament.

If he is the pick at #1 I’m cautiously ok with it.  I seem to like him a little less than most, but I expect him to be a good player.

It is notable that this is a lesser tournament but it doesn’t take anything away from his accomplishments there. Based on their ice time it seems Power likely would’ve made Canada in any normal year.

Just now, Buffalonill said:

That would be a true circus act if you draft someone 1st overall and play him at a different position.

Not forever. 

Remember the guy is 18 and there's an adjustment period. We have rushed D men too many times already. We don't have a Chara to pair him with and mentor him so he needs to work with whoever the assistant coaches are. You don't want to dump big minute high pressure defensive responsibility on a kid right away. You ease him in. 

It worked for Burns, Byfuglein, Lindy Ruff if you'd like to go back in time. Larry Robinson even. 

He could fill Risto's PP spot, adjust to the speed, playing with men. Throw his weight as he grows rather than being banged into the boards himself. Can make a mistake and not cost us a goal right away. Adjust to his big money flashy NHL life, etc.  As time goes you teach, he plays D in practice and you ease him in from #6 D up step by step as he is ready. You don't throw him into top D and expect instant miracles and break the kid. 

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

It is notable that this is a lesser tournament but it doesn’t take anything away from his accomplishments there. Based on their ice time it seems Power likely would’ve made Canada in any normal year.

I think it exactly takes away from the accomplishment.  This kid shutting down guys that wouldn’t make the Sabres is about as underwhelming as I can think of.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

I think it exactly takes away from the accomplishment.  This kid shutting down guys that wouldn’t make the Sabres is about as underwhelming as I can think of.  

See the post in the IIHF thread. There’s some notable talent in this tournament. He’s doing the absolute best you can expect in the situation he’s in. You’re drafting 18 year olds. It’s incredibly rare to see any of them compete with NHL players because, well, they’re not in the NHL. We have to judge them based on the competition they’re facing. That’s the entire ***** point.

Edited by Hoss

27 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I mean, it’s still impressive but it’s not as impressive as if it was a normal year.  That’s my only point.

In a normal year, he wouldn’t have.  I feel pretty sure.  Canada generally has plenty of good NHL players to pick from.  

I posted this link before so I apologize for the redundancy. I thought the discussion here fits with the discussion on the board. 

The attached 10 min link from June 3 is a segment of Chris Peters on WGR. Much of the interview dealt with Power and some other prospects. He also talked about Beniers. He felt that for him that there was enough of a gap between Power and Beniers to take the defenseman over the more needed forward. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I posted this link before so I apologize for the redundancy. I thought the discussion here fits with the discussion on the board. 

The attached 10 min link from June 3 is a segment of Chris Peters on WGR. Much of the interview dealt with Power and some other prospects. He also talked about Beniers. He felt that for him that there was enough of a gap between Power and Beniers to take the defenseman over the more needed forward. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy

I like Chris Peters.  He has a hockey prospects podcast that’s pretty good.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, twins actually.  But it’s like a Twins Schwarzenegger/Devito situation.  Poor Andrew just got what was left over.

Kidding.  No relation as far as I know.

You had me going thinking there was a third. Let’s not forget Geoff. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.