Sabres win lottery: Wednesday June 2nd, 7pm EDT

WildCard

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Power is a better D prospect than Beniers is a F prospect.   

Any return for Eichel and/or Reinhart will include a top C coming back, so not really a need at that position.

Take the known commodity in Power, a guy with his size and skill set doesn't come around very often, they should jump at the chance to take him... he'll eat 25min a game, he's a Seth Jones type... could transform the back-end on this team, and the modern game is largely driven from the back-end.

This Seth Jones?

I couldn’t be happier with the results of this lottery.

”Bob Murray, you want Getzlaf and Pronger 2.0? Check out this slick and shiny Jack Eichel and this hot new Owen Power. We’ll take your 3rd overall pick and your Trevor Zegras as your first installment. How do you plan to finish this transaction? Maybe some Max Comtois and John Gibson?”

Did you see Murray’s face when he came up #3? He wants to move up.

Zegras has always been my top Eichel return. That just became a little more possible.

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Beniers is a better prospect, has a higher NHLe and a Higher Percentage Chance of being a NHL Star per Hockey Prospectus at 39% compared to 7% for Power. 

Power really does not have any overwhelming traits besides His Size, which by all accounts He rarely uses. 

Beniers is a better all around player and plays in all situations. 

Beniers took over games for Michigan last season, The same cannot be said for Powers. 

And I understand that a large majority of Scouts have Power as Number One, but I look at the 2006 Draft when Central Scouting had Erik Johnson Number One.  The Blues took Him First Overall, Jordan Staal when Second, Jonathan Toews Third and Nicklaus Backstrom Fourth. In a draft redo, I’ll bet the Blues would take any of those three over Johnson. The Sabres cannot afford to end up in the same position. 

If Eichel is traded Anaheim with the 3rd Pick or LAK with the 8th Pick can bring a defenseman whose drop off from Power will not be significant. 

Granato had this team playing much better and over a full season they probably finish in the 25-30 range and end up drafting 8th the next two years, missing out on the top draft forwards. Had they selected Rossi or Lundell in 2020, I could maybe be convinced about Power. 

Of Their 5 picks  in the Top 32 over the past three drafts  66.7 of them were LHD.  Adding a fourth LHD would be bad asset management. 

The team needs forwards and Centers are easier to convert to wingers. 

Sorry, this is a bad take IMO.

Prospects like Power with his size and skill don't come around often.   He's a rare breed, he's built different, he's the best prospect, period.   

The Sabres don't need a C.    Eichel is still under contract... keep him. 

Drafting Power allows you to build a package of Reinhart and Risto for some additional F depth and/or solidifying the G position. 

Not taking Power just because he's a lefty?   Now that would be a huge mistake.

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

”Bob Murray, you want Getzlaf and Pronger 2.0? Check out this slick and shiny Jack Eichel and this hot new Owen Power. We’ll take your 3rd overall pick and your Trevor Zegras as your first installment. How do you plan to finish this transaction? Maybe some Max Comtois and John Gibson?”

Zegras has always been my top Eichel return. That just became a little more possible.

So just for my own clarification, the package would look something like the below right?

Eichel

1st Overall (Power)

for

Zegras

Comtois

Gibson

3rd overall (Beniers?)

Can someone tell me how to feel?

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I love Zegras, he was my pick when BUF took Cozens.    

That said, DRAFT POWER... KEEP EICHEL.   Trade Reinhart and Risto to solidify the goaltending position and perhaps some forward depth.

7 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Sad that the Sabres incompetence squandered Jack Eichel.

Happy that they probably got the most talented prospect outside the NHL in return. Happy you’ll get to watch Zegras and Cozens compete to be the centrepiece of the Sabres just like they competed for World Junior gold.

Happy you got Beniers and happier you don’t have to count on the Sabres making the right choice between Power and Beniers.

Happy you get to see Beniers and Comtois skate like their hair is on fire on both ends of the ice for a long time in Buffalo.

Happy you’ve solved the team’s goaltending problems for the foreseeable future with a top 10 goalie.

You’re welcome.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Beniers is a better prospect, has a higher NHLe and a Higher Percentage Chance of being a NHL Star per Hockey Prospectus at 39% compared to 7% for Power. 

Power really does not have any overwhelming traits besides His Size, which by all accounts He rarely uses. 

Beniers is a better all around player and plays in all situations. 

Beniers took over games for Michigan last season, The same cannot be said for Powers. 

And I understand that a large majority of Scouts have Power as Number One, but I look at the 2006 Draft when Central Scouting had Erik Johnson Number One.  The Blues took Him First Overall, Jordan Staal when Second, Jonathan Toews Third and Nicklaus Backstrom Fourth. In a draft redo, I’ll bet the Blues would take any of those three over Johnson. The Sabres cannot afford to end up in the same position. 

If Eichel is traded Anaheim with the 3rd Pick or LAK with the 8th Pick can bring a defenseman whose drop off from Power will not be significant. 

Granato had this team playing much better and over a full season they probably finish in the 25-30 range and end up drafting 8th the next two years, missing out on the top draft forwards. Had they selected Rossi or Lundell in 2020, I could maybe be convinced about Power. 

Of Their 5 picks  in the Top 32 over the past three drafts  66.7 of them were LHD.  Adding a fourth LHD would be bad asset management. 

The team needs forwards and Centers are easier to convert to wingers. 

Yet power is the mvp for a tournament with nhl players that 7% is looking dumb 

Beniers reminds me of Mittlestadt.

His college season Casey had 30 points in 34 games, Beniers college season 24 points in 24 games 👀...  both in the BIG-10.  

Power is a beast, you can't teach his combination of size and skill.    He'll be a cornerstone for the next 15 years.... think Jones, Weber, Hedman, Pronger, Chara, Robinson, Burns, MacInnis, Blake, Murphy, etc... he's cut from the same cloth, you don't pass that up, ever. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I'm simply not attaching the first pick to Eichel in nearly any scenario unless a team throws their five/six best assets our way (and that's not happening). It's bad business to give away two of your three best assets (especially when they're this young) in the same deal.

53 minutes ago, #freejame said:

So just for my own clarification, the package would look something like the below right?

Eichel

1st Overall (Power)

for

Zegras

Comtois

Gibson

3rd overall (Beniers?)

Absolutely not. How about, instead, we keep the first pick ... and we send Jack to Anaheim for Zegras, Gibson and 3. Then we get Power and Benier and everybody is happy.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Sorry, this is a bad take IMO.

Prospects like Power with his size and skill don't come around often.   He's a rare breed, he's built different, he's the best prospect, period.   

The Sabres don't need a C.    Eichel is still under contract... keep him. 

Drafting Power allows you to build a package of Reinhart and Risto for some additional F depth and/or solidifying the G position. 

Not taking Power just because he's a lefty?   Now that would be a huge mistake.

No worries, Your Thoughts on Various NHL Players particularly Reinhart cause me to question Your Player Evaluation Skills as well

Eichel and the Sabres are probably beyond the point of no return. Adams reiterated they were not going to approve Him having the Surgery today and Jack was pretty adamant about having it done. 
He plays maybe 12-15 games next year before shutting it down for season and then demands a trade after His NMC kicks in. How’s that return going to look? And this ***** show of an organization cannot keep Their Disgruntled Captain around a young core of players for Five Seasons.  The organization ***** up royally with Jack and Sam, it’s time to move on. Let some other team worry about the future of His Neck. 

33 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

There is a huge difference between the level of NHL Talent in This Tournament and those of years past. 

20 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

His college season Casey had 30 points in 34 games, Beniers college season 24 points in 24 games 👀...  both in the BIG-10.  

Power is a beast, you can't teach his combination of size and skill.    He'll be a cornerstone for the next 15 years.... think Jones, Weber, Hedman, Pronger, Chara, Robinson, Burns, MacInnis, Blake, Murphy, etc... he's cut from the same cloth, you don't pass that up, ever. 

Beniers two hundred foot game is light years ahead of Mitts at this point. 

He started the season as the 4C and was centering the Top Six within two weeks of the season opener. 

Power had 16 points in 26 Games on the same team in the Big Ten.

Seth Jones play has fallen off in the past few years, maybe remove Him from that list. 

And I remember the same things being said about Calder Winner Tyler Myers. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I'm simply not attaching the first pick to Eichel in nearly any scenario unless a team throws their five/six best assets our way (and that's not happening). It's bad business to give away two of your three best assets (especially when they're this young) in the same deal.

Absolutely not. How about, instead, we keep the first pick ... and we send Jack to Anaheim for Zegras, Gibson and 3. Then we get Power and Benier and everybody is happy.

We might be giving two of our top three assets away, but Anaheim is probably giving away three of their top four.

That said, I like your trade better. Doubt Anaheim will.

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

No worries, Your Thoughts on Various NHL Players particularly Reinhart cause me to question Your Player Evaluation Skills as well

Eichel and the Sabres are probably beyond the point of no return. Adams reiterated they were not going to approve Him having the Surgery today and Jack was pretty adamant about having it done. 
He plays maybe 12-15 games next year before shutting it down for season and then demands a trade after His NMC kicks in. How’s that return going to look? And this ***** show of an organization cannot keep Their Disgruntled Captain around a young core of players for Five Seasons.  The organization ***** up royally with Jack and Sam, it’s time to move on. Let some other team worry about the future of His Neck. 

There is a huge difference between the level of NHL Talent in This Tournament and those of years past. 

Beniers two hundred foot game is light years ahead of Mitts at this point. 

He started the season as the 4C and was centering the Top Six within two weeks of the season opener. 

Power had 16 points in 26 Games on the same team in the Big Ten.

Seth Jones play has fallen off in the past few years, maybe remove Him from that list. 

And I remember the same things being said about Calder Winner Tyler Myers. 

Have you watched Power play?  He looks like a 10 year vet out there.   He's everything Ekblad was but bigger and more skilled.   

Don't overthink this.

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

They are not similar players.  If you want to make the comparison in that way, Beniers put up better scoring numbers, while being a year younger (18 vs 19) while also playing a better 200 ft game.

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

I like this better. Now go get it done, Hoss!

7 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Colin Miller, the worst Sabres defenseman not named Matt Irwin, is on team Canada.  I’m not sure how impressed I should be that a highly rated prospect, is better than him.  

I don't know who to pick. Not sure about another LHD, even though he looks like he's still going to grow and is already a beast. Sabres have been historically terrible at scoring goals for such a long time. But if KA stays and doesn't get fired like he should, he is the one who's going to leave his imprint on the team and what style the team plays.

I wish Sam Pollock were in charge but unfortunately, he's dead.

Edited by Kong

Why don't we just have an old fashioned avatar bet with @LGR4GM with Beniers, @Buffalonill takes Guenther and @pi2000 takes Power and see who wins. It will make some of the back and forth from those guys worth the constant rehash of their views.

Personally after the Quinn pick last year instead of Rossi it wouldn't surprise me if Adams takes Mason McTavish with the 1st pick this year. What I suspect will happen from the Adams interview yesterday was Jack is all but gone already and whoever we get in return will answer who we pick in the draft. As for getting Beniers with an Anaheim trade, I don't think he'll last to #3.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.