2021 NHL Playoffs 2nd Round

Norcal

59 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Gonna be a good one tonight. It's highly likely there will be blood. 

Only if Boston is up or down big late in the game.  The Islanders aren't going to goon it up if they have a chance to close it out.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Only if Boston is up or down big late in the game.  The Islanders aren't going to goon it up if they have a chance to close it out.

I just see a very physical matchup taking place, resulting in some bleeding. We'll see. Going to be a good one either way. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohninMinn. said:

Hopefully the Buffalo Tanker Hall will be off my television screen after tonite.

I'd actually love to see Boston win tonight so we get to enjoy a 7th game of this series, which is pretty much the best hockey of the 2021 playoffs so far.

I can't get enough of this series.

• Like (+1) 3

16 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Yes, and No. You need high skill and speed to win during the regular season whereas playoff hockey requires more attention to dirty goals and defensive play. Both work in the opposite situation but are far less effective generally. 

To win a Stanley Cup or at least advance in the playoffs you need:

- Both high skill and depth for skaters 

- A goalie who can step up and generally handles high pressure very well

- Full buy in to the Playoff System being used

- Star players either need to contribute with points heavily or play suffocating defense/check/ etc when unable to put up points.

- A few depth vets that can help steer the ship and to be honest its rather paradoxical. As a rule of thumb, any vet worth anything, still seem to de-age about 10 years when you get to the playoffs.

Yes, and all that goes back to the Bergevin quote: "there are players that get you to the playoffs and different players that carry you through the playoffs."

The question is do you build top down or bottom up. We have gone top down. Toronto is top down. Bottom up is Montreal, NYI. It will take you further sooner imo and is the better way to build a strong foundation.

Again, goaltending should be a primary consideration, not an afterthought as this team has done in recent years.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Not sure about that. Martin, Clutterbuck, they may try to goad Marchand or somebody. That could lead to an issue. Being up a game they might play looser and throw some hits around. The home ice thing don't mean much to two teams that play all games like road games. 

4 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Bruins seriously missing Chara now. Islanders punking them around 

No penalty on that elbow to McAvoy will make the NY Saints comments get louder.

Especially if he's injured for longer than a period

• Thanks (+1) 1

I'm 53 and wonder if I'll be around long enough to enjoy a playoff atmosphere at Keybank Center like they are experiencing at the Colosseum right now. So jealous of them. And as @Kristiansaid, I am reduced to watching other teams play such good hockey. The Pegula's have ruined the Sabres for me.

Edited by Claude Balls
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.