2021 NHL Playoffs 2nd Round

Norcal

6 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Didn’t he get a five and a ten for that hit?

if so, then I think the referees thought it was pretty gross negligence too.

I believe he did, but I also believe that a lot of that was to gain control over the remaining minutes of the game. That happens all the time late in games. 

• Like (+1) 1

The NHL is so biased it makes me want to puke.

if that was a Bruin or Lightning player that made that hit, they would be touting what a great hockey play it was and that’s just the playoffs,... and blah blah blah,... it’s just unfortunate that he he got hurt. ***** off you disingenuous bunch of sycophants. 

21 minutes ago, SwampD said:

The NHL is so biased it makes me want to puke.

if that was a Bruin or Lightning player that made that hit, they would be touting what a great hockey play it was and that’s just the playoffs,... and blah blah blah,... it’s just unfortunate that he he got hurt. ***** off you disingenuous bunch of sycophants. 

Rubbish. 

Miller took a blatant head shot in the Washington series and is still out. Nobody said a word. This favouritism that you keep going on about isn't real. 

As for this hit, I think it was a high speed desperation play he hoped could prevent the goal but I'm sure the thought process and the event didn't mesh up as often happens in high speed hockey. In hindsight I'm sure he realizes there was no way to stop the empty het goal, but at the time...........unlike many Sabres, Shiefele isn't going to quit on a play.  

Suspendable in this modern league, but not the viciousness and other adjectives thing at all. 

Now who was it that was all Corey Perry hate last year.......................lol. 

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Rubbish. 

Miller took a blatant head shot in the Washington series and is still out. Nobody said a word. This favouritism that you keep going on about isn't real. 

As for this hit, I think it was a high speed desperation play he hoped could prevent the goal but I'm sure the thought process and the event didn't mesh up as often happens in high speed hockey. In hindsight I'm sure he realizes there was no way to stop the empty het goal, but at the time...........unlike many Sabres, Shiefele isn't going to quit on a play.  

Suspendable in this modern league, but not the viciousness and other adjectives thing at all. 

Now who was it that was all Corey Perry hate last year.......................lol. 

So, you say favoritism isn’t real, the give an example of it.

k

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

You want me to give an example of something I'm saying isn't there? sure. 

That hit wasn’t even close to being dirty. It was a completely routine play where a guy got hurt. 

bad example.

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Disagree but it doesn't speak to favouritism either way. 

Sure it does. It was a Boston player, so it was a penalty. Change the jerseys and it’s just another zone entry interference that doesn’t get called.

Count me among the people who have no problem with that Scheifele hit. If a Sabre had done it and saved the empty netter we'd be erecting a statue. Evans should have known better than to get casual there. Play to the whistle. He f*cked around and found out. 

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Count me among the people who have no problem with that Scheifele hit. If a Sabre had done it and saved the empty netter we'd be erecting a statue. Evans should have known better than to get casual there. Play to the whistle. He f*cked around and found out. 

Evans never looked up. Not for over 100 feet. Take a peek over your shoulder next time.

Edit: couldn't get the clip to embed. It's just a cut from Youngblood.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/2743c17d-50b9-4aa3-a270-b7b5090e86d7

Edited by ubkev
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Hit to the head no, charging and unnecessary yup... and very dangerous... McCabe got what for hit on Laine... two games? Gonna be interesting

Don't think McCabe got one. Maurice actually said he had no problem w/the hit at the time

Given the speed and strength of the modern player and game, the Scheifele hit can't be treated/coached as legal or even on-the-edge-desirable. There's no longer any place for it, IMO. I agree with the Tweet that @Thorny embedded upthread -- going that sort of distance to obliterate a guy is reckless and irresponsible.

Not for nothing, if Schiefele had actually been intent on preventing the goal, there was, I think, a better way to defend the play (stretching/laying out with your stick, attacking the puck). It looked very much like Scheifele figured he was getting a free shot to send a big message in a long playoff series. That stuff's gotta go.

From the comments to the Tweet above. I think this is exactly right.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Given the speed and strength of the modern player and game, the Scheifele hit can't be treated/coached as legal or even on-the-edge-desirable. There's no longer any place for it, IMO. I agree with the Tweet that @Thorny embedded upthread -- going that sort of distance to obliterate a guy is reckless and irresponsible.

Not for nothing, if Schiefele had actually been intent on preventing the goal, there was, I think, a better way to defend the play (stretching/laying out with your stick, attacking the puck). It looked very much like Scheifele figured he was getting a free shot to send a big message in a long playoff series. That stuff's gotta go.

From the comments to the Tweet above. I think this is exactly right.

There's so much context, too. Scheifele was rankled all game, for those who watched, he had even taken a roughly penalty beforehand for wailing on a guy lying on the ice. You said it - the reason that play is outlawed is because it's too dangerous. They've made the decision that to skate the full length of the ice before laying into someone is a violation of the rules. Think UFC, where you can kick a guy in the head at any time, but you can't kick a guy in the head if he's on a knee - sometimes the context of the physicality is what's outlawed.

He wouldn't have gotten kicked out of the game if Evans bounced back up? Ok? He didn't, though. Scheifele made his choice - if the guy gets hurt on the play the NHL is going to enforce their rule - that's the way it works any everyone knows it. I'd argue it should be enforced regardless, but two wrongs don't make a right - Scheifele doesn't get off because they've failed to properly enforce the rule in other situations. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.