Suitors for Reinhart?

GASabresIUFAN

If this has been discussed up thread I apologize, but has Sam’s willingness to play center(and be pretty good at it) have anything to do with his biggest payday just around the corner? 

What if he goes back to, I don’t want to play center?

Why after years of having no viable 2C on the roster, does Reinhart magically appear to fill the role?

Edited by LabattBlue

15 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

... the coaches didn't put him there. And because the entire roster of centers died. 

Man, I been wanting for years for them to put him there.  Sam has the vision to play any forward position.   If he had more speed he would be better than Jack.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd actually become a Kraken fan. 

Speaking of Kraken this ties into my latest thought...

Sam is Western  canadien kid who has expressed interest in going back out west.  Could he be a part of a deal with Seattle and become the first captain of the Kraken?

Here me out...

Sam gets a fresh start, gets to move out West, and stays in the US where his contract is worth more.  He may not want to be a part of a building franchise but as Vegas has shown you can be very competitive right away.

So KA goes to the Kraken and says you pick X players from, X teams and we will trade you Sam for those players.  In trading the Kraken Sam there is aside agreement to select either Eakin or Miller in the expansion draft thus the Sabres not losing any of their young players.

Obviously the players coming back for Sam would have to be NHL caliber players who just need a chance.  Have not really looked at the current rosters of all teams, but in relation to Vegas this would be players like Karlsson, Marchessault, Tuch, and Theodore who thrived once given the opportunity.

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

Sam is Western  canadien kid who has expressed interest in going back out west.  Could he be a part of a deal with Seattle and become the first captain of the Kraken?

Here me out...

Sam gets a fresh start, gets to move out West, and stays in the US where his contract is worth more.  He may not want to be a part of a building franchise but as Vegas has shown you can be very competitive right away.

So KA goes to the Kraken and says you pick X players from, X teams and we will trade you Sam for those players.  In trading the Kraken Sam there is aside agreement to select either Eakin or Miller in the expansion draft thus the Sabres not losing any of their young players.

Obviously the players coming back for Sam would have to be NHL caliber players who just need a chance.  Have not really looked at the current rosters of all teams, but in relation to Vegas this would be players like Karlsson, Marchessault, Tuch, and Theodore who thrived once given the opportunity.

To my knowledge, Sam Reinhart has never publicly expressed interest of going west. 

In fact there's no never been a rumor he wants that. Just talking heads saying he does because that's where he is from. 

3 hours ago, steveoath said:

Gawd, it's a sad day when Friedman's source is the instigators.  Peters brought up that he wants Merzlikins and EF said that he could see that happening. Then low and behold he now has "a source". FFS

The Instigators are not Friedman’s Source. Friedman mentioned He believes the Sabres are still in on the Columbus Goalies on His Appearance Thursday and Peters responded with I want Elvis because of His Personality. 

18 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Jeez.  When a guy like Friedman, who’s got a fair amount of credibility, puts something like that out there, it really shows IMHO that a high percentage of all of this theorizing by hockey writers is just hot air.  

The more I think about it, there would have to be more coming from Columbus in terms of a First Round Pick and or a Top Prospect. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

To my knowledge, Sam Reinhart has never publicly expressed interest of going west. 

In fact there's no never been a rumor he wants that. Just talking heads saying he does because that's where he is from. 

As like you I don't recall him expressing a desire to go to any particular place/location. What he has done is clearly and publicly express his dissatisfaction playing for a team/organization that for years doesn't even play meaningful end of season games, let alone make it to the playoffs. I remember a late season post game interview where he was asked about his thoughts on a come from behind win. He dejectedly said that this win and come back effort means little because we are playing with no pressure because we are out of the playoff race, and have been so for some time.  

The front office is going to learn rather quickly whether he wants to remain with the organization when they negotiate a new contract. I don't see him signing a deal that will foreclose his ability to leave after next year. I don't blame him for wanting to escape from this cluster situation. 

4 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Here me out...

Is this a thing?  Do players get paid in Canadian currency if they are traded to a Canadian team? 

3 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Some potential players Seattle could pick and then trade to Sabres for Reinhart...

Bellows - NYI

Fluery- Anaheim

Graves- Colorado

Hartman- Minnesota

McCann- Pittsburgh

Dunn- St Louis

I wouldn’t trade Reinhart for any player who is not good enough to be protected by his team.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The source for “Sam wants to play on the West Coast” remains his close buddy Paul,Hamilton

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

The Instigators are not Friedman’s Source. Friedman mentioned He believes the Sabres are still in on the Columbus Goalies on His Appearance Thursday and Peters responded with I want Elvis because of His Personality. 

The more I think about it, there would have to be more coming from Columbus in terms of a First Round Pick and or a Top Prospect. 

I think I showed elsewhere with comparables that Sam’s market value should be a minimum two mid-firsts (Brayden Schenn). I haven’t looked at it hard, but Merzlikins maximum value has to be a late first (Lehner). If Adams is at all competent, the return should be Merzlikins plus a better asset than Merzlikins.

That said, the idea of reuniting Sam with Domi on their top line has to appeal to  Columbus and Merzlikins makes a ton of sense for the Sabres.

Just not straight across.

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

Is this a thing?  Do players get paid in Canadian currency if they are traded to a Canadian team? 

No. I’m pretty sure all players are paid in American cash.

American taxes are often lower, but I haven’t heard that about Washington state.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I wouldn’t trade Reinhart for any player who is not good enough to be protected by his team.

The source for “Sam wants to play on the West Coast” remains his close buddy Paul,Hamilton

I think I showed elsewhere with comparables that Sam’s market value should be a minimum two mid-firsts (Brayden Schenn). I haven’t looked at it hard, but Merzlikins maximum value has to be a late first (Lehner). If Adams is at all competent, the return should be Merzlikins plus a better asset than Merzlikins.

That said, the idea of reuniting Sam with Domi on their top line has to appeal to  Columbus and Merzlikins makes a ton of sense for the Sabres.

Just not straight across.

No. I’m pretty sure all players are paid in American cash.

American taxes are often lower, but I haven’t heard that about Washington state.

Washington State has no personal income tax. FWIW

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Don't know but their contracts are valued in US dollars. 

I’d like to think the point is moot as they’d be dealing in Canadian commerce, which if acquired with Canadian funds, seems to make this conversation irrelevant.  

If Sam signs a one deal making him a UFA after next year, what is the cut off date for negotiating a long term. Is it at the trade deadline?  Is it the official date of the season?  Is he not allowed to negotiate a long term deal at all after signing the one year deal taking him to UFA?

14 minutes ago, Hank said:

If Sam signs a one deal making him a UFA after next year, what is the cut off date for negotiating a long term. Is it at the trade deadline?  Is it the official date of the season?  Is he not allowed to negotiate a long term deal at all after signing the one year deal taking him to UFA?

Not sure if it changed in the last CBA, but I believe it was any time after Jan.1

Don’t see it getting there. Sam either signs a multi-year deal or is traded.

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

He's been tried there before. 

There has however always been this idea to play him with Eichel. Give Eichel the best RW possible or something like that. 

When's the last time Reinhart was tried for 5 consecutive games at center and who were his wingers?

4. A couple of other notes on Columbus: In their search for centres, I think they’ve talked to Buffalo about Sam Reinhart. The Sabres are looking at goalies; Joonas Korpisalo or Elvis Merzlikinswould be a sensible target. This theory of mine was received with mixed reactions when mentioned on last week’s podcast. No guarantee it happens because there will be other options for both teams, but they are sensible trade partners.

from 31 Thoughts 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.