Suitors for Reinhart?

GASabresIUFAN

46 minutes ago, Hoss said:

We should not deal him if this is a prerequisite that we can’t guarantee.

There was a guest on WGR that stated teams can contact Sam's agent to talk about what kind of contract numbers they'd be looking for. 

• Like (+1) 1

So since Sam is and RFA his agent can talk with other GM's about a contract,  I could see a scenario where a team who likes Sam agrees to a contract number.  Instead of going the offer sheet route they go to the Sabres with a sign and trade offer.  This allows teams to be secure in Sam staying long term and also helps Sabres in maximizing the return.  

I look back a few years ago at the haul Colorado got for Duchene.  A young d prospect in Girard, a 1st rd pick, (ended up being 4th overall in Bowen Byram),  two more prospects, and an AHL goalie. 

Ottawa traded Duchene a year later and also got a 1st rd pick and two prospects.   There was a conditional 1st rd pick included if Duchene resigned with Columbus. He did not. 

In above trade idea he would be extended so why couldn't the Sabres get two 1st rd picks for Sam??

12 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

So since Sam is and RFA his agent can talk with other GM's about a contract,  I could see a scenario where a team who likes Sam agrees to a contract number.  Instead of going the offer sheet route they go to the Sabres with a sign and trade offer.  This allows teams to be secure in Sam staying long term and also helps Sabres in maximizing the return.  

I look back a few years ago at the haul Colorado got for Duchene.  A young d prospect in Girard, a 1st rd pick, (ended up being 4th overall in Bowen Byram),  two more prospects, and an AHL goalie. 

Ottawa traded Duchene a year later and also got a 1st rd pick and two prospects.   There was a conditional 1st rd pick included if Duchene resigned with Columbus. He did not. 

In above trade idea he would be extended so why couldn't the Sabres get two 1st rd picks for Sam??

Duchene’s heights were a little higher than Samson’s have been so there’s a gap but that’s a deal that should be the ceiling of what you’re looking for with teams understanding they need to be near it but not quite there.

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

Duchene’s heights were a little higher than Samson’s have been so there’s a gap.

I know this is perception, but it’s not supported statistically, at least not strongly.

Duchene had broken 60 points once in his career and was coming off a season of 41 points in 77 games when he was traded.

At the time he had put up 24 goals and 59 points over 82 games for his career. Right now, Sam’s numbers are 24 goals and 53 points over 82 games for his.

Edited by dudacek

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

I know this is perception, but it’s not supported statistically, at least not strongly.

Duchene had broken 60 points once in his career and was coming off a season of 41 points in 77 games when he was traded.

At the time he had put up 24 goals and 59 points over 82 games for his career. Right now, Sam’s numbers are 24 goals and 53 points over 82 games for his.

He was in the middle of a 58 points in 50 games stretch when he was traded to Columbus.

Prior to the first trade:

Duchene was 25 and had seasons of 67 and 70 points (both of which are above Samson’s career high) and a season of 43 points in 47 games in the lockout year (.914 PPG, higher than any Samson season).

So three seasons statistically better than any season Samson had as far as the easy metrics of goals/assists/points.

Only difference is Samson’s scoring took a jump this year (aka season prior to the trade) whereas Duchene’s had dipped (he was off to a good start the year he was dealt, though).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.