IIHF worlds

steveoath

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's much more common in third pairing roles

Very very uncommon top pair

You're not wrong, and I wouldn't look to do that. imo your left side is set for years with power added. Dahlin is your PP guy and the guy you play more down a goal and Power is your PK guy and guy you play more up a goal (obviously over simplifying). Samuelsson is the 3rd guy who can also move up if either is injured. Bryson is your #7 or depth guy. If, and it's still if, Johnson steps up he can switch sides or we make a trade. It's hardly a problem to be overflowing in D strength. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Agree with the bold. Stopped after that ( ; ) )cause I don't care about the forwards in the next couple drafts and that's not a silver lining to me

If the Sabres are good, I won’t care that they are missing out on prospects x, y, or z.  When I start looking at the prospects who might be available at their pick, I’ll care how good they are.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Disagree with your “2nd pair” sentence. I think having the concept of Dahlin and the concept of Power on your first and second pairs can be as effective and as valuable as having Malkin and Crosby on your 1st and 2nd lines.

Otherwise I generally agree with this post.

More than fair, in truth I don't really know where the line is. I'm convinced there's a line, though - where going "BPA" doesn't make sense any longer. If the top pick is a LHD next season do we pick him again? I think that would be an inarguable "no". Maybe we haven't reached the line with merely Power. 

In that case, we'd just be unlucky Power is the guy but he probably should be the guy. But if it's close, I think I'd still lean F. Probably require a great deal of hubris, IMO, to have clear separation between a couple of these guys

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

Didn’t mean it as such with the S word.

What do you mean by there being different boards in each draft room.  I’m not talking about each scouts’ and Adams personal board.  I’m talking about the Sabres final board that they go to the draft floor with.  That’s the only one that matters.

I think when you have the first pick you definitely reach a consensus and take whoever that player is. The farther you go back in the draft the more “off the board” I think teams go. It’s likely Quinn was number one.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Says the expert who started watching him this week?

I didn’t start watching him this week but that was a legitimate question. I don’t believe anyone should try to have a convincing conversation if they’ve literally never watched the player.

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You're not wrong, and I wouldn't look to do that. imo your left side is set for years with power added. Dahlin is your PP guy and the guy you play more down a goal and Power is your PK guy and guy you play more up a goal (obviously over simplifying). Samuelsson is the 3rd guy who can also move up if either is injured. Bryson is your #7 or depth guy. If, and it's still if, Johnson steps up he can switch sides or we make a trade. It's hardly a problem to be overflowing in D strength. 

It's a good way to look at it. 

An important thing to remember is your D is sometimes only as good as your goalie - and thanks to Adams and others we have literally nothing at goalie right now. If we are going to be a back-end-out team, we need to stop completely neglecting goalie in the pursuit of a mystic, wholly injury free year this franchise seems to believe exists, and a year where back up goalies play above their level on a consistent basis like Adams presumably thought Hutton was capable of 

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Shifting sides isn't impossible. Boston's been doing it with Clifton all season. Seems to work okay. 

Also we don't know if Johnson will be any good yet and Bryson is still a question mark imo. If we end up with too many trading one isn't out of the question, but do not undervalue depth at D. Power can be a 30 minute guy too. Don't want to pass up that sort of foundational piece for a possible immediate need forward. 

Yeah, Bryson, Johnson and Samuelsson are ?s, but still good prospects.  It would just be stacking a lot of prospects at the same position.  Not saying it’s the worst thing, but it’s not ideal.

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I think when you have the first pick you definitely reach a consensus and take whoever that player is. The farther you go back in the draft the more “off the board” I think teams go. It’s likely Quinn was number one.

I didn’t start watching him this week but that was a legitimate question. I don’t believe anyone should try to have a convincing conversation if they’ve literally never watched the player.

Did I say anything about Power that I needed to watch him to comment on?

How many full games have you watched him play? How many were prior to the worlds?

Edited by dudacek

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Bingo! We’re all building a winning team in our minds and will gravitate to the pieces that best fits our picture of what we need. I love his game the few times I’ve seen him play, but I have to admit it’s mostly the concept of Beniers that makes me want him. I’ve never even watched Power play and I worry about him being Eric Johnson.

I think Power is tall and skinny and has a lot of developing to do. He’s no Zach Bogosian\Aaron Ekblad 25-at-18 type.

He is already 215 lbs!  If he still has lots of filling out to do, he’s going to end up 240.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think he looks like a kid. Just mostly comparing him to Ekblad, who looked like he could have had two kids already.

Power looks like Clark Kent.

image.jpeg.6da3ad8fef624fbd9e5d9de7b07b6c53.jpeg

Need to hire Gronborg to show him how to grow a beard.

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Did I say anything about Power that I needed to watch him to comment on?

How many full games have you watched him play? How many were prior to the worlds?

Just one Michigan game earlier this year prior to Worlds. Then a good chunk of time on clips/breakdowns of his play on the internet.

40 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's a good way to look at it. 

An important thing to remember is your D is sometimes only as good as your goalie - and thanks to Adams and others we have literally nothing at goalie right now. If we are going to be a back-end-out team, we need to stop completely neglecting goalie in the pursuit of a mystic, wholly injury free year this franchise seems to believe exists, and a year where back up goalies play above their level on a consistent basis like Adams presumably thought Hutton was capable of 

That can be true, but it's also true that your goalie is only as good as your D. From our recent history both Lehner and Hutton were bad with rebounds and rebound control. Lehner regained his confidence playing on a team with a solid D game that took care of those rebounds for him.  Hutton in St. Louis had a similar luxury and when exposed here fell apart. A good D also clears sight lines and blocks shots and makes the goalies life easier and thus they feed off each other. 

We need a good goalie, but if we build a solid D he won't have to be Hasek for us to win. 

15 hours ago, Curt said:

Yeah, Bryson, Johnson and Samuelsson are ?s, but still good prospects.  It would just be stacking a lot of prospects at the same position.  Not saying it’s the worst thing, but it’s not ideal.

Sabres still hold the rights to Pilut, too.  And expect he's planning on coming back to the NHL in '22-'23.

Left side log jam, indeed.

16 hours ago, Curt said:

Early in the year I think most thought he had great physical tools but was a little raw in areas.  I really do think Power has improved a lot throughout the season.

I won’t be sad if Buffalo picks him, but it is a strange fit.

Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson, Bryson, Johnson - all good/great LHD prospects.

Maybe Dahlin could shift to the right side.  I know he has done it outside the NHL.

How about 

Dahlin - Joker
Power -Borgen
Samuelsson - Bryson

hVs one of the guys on your bottom pair play the off side 

more of a 2022/23 lineup 

16 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

100%.  It’s a problem that the Sabres have at least another year to solve. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

How about 

Dahlin - Joker
Power -Borgen
Samuelsson - Bryson

hVs one of the guys on your bottom pair play the off side 

more of a 2022/23 lineup 

Sure.  Though in my mind Dahlin-Borgen, Power-Joki makes a lot of sense too.

Its not a huge problem, but limits roster flexibility a bit.  Mostly just unlucky that in a year where Sabres won the lottery most of the great prospects are D (and at that LD).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.