Is there any chance someone here goes to the Buffalo and Erie county public library?

SDS

• SDS changed the title to Is there any chance someone here goes to the Buffalo and Erie county public library?
1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

3-6 times a year.  Sometimes more when I do research.

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

I stop in now and again and I borrow novels virtually.  Is there something you need?

I’m looking for an article from the Gusto in 1983. that has not been digitized and I think it’s on microfilm.

I believe there was another one in 1985, but I’m more interested in the first one. If you think you guys may be going, drop me a line and I will give you the details.

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

I’m looking for an article from the Gusto in 1983. that has not been digitized and I think it’s on microfilm.

I believe there was another one in 1985, but I’m more interested in the first one. If you think you guys may be going, drop me a line and I will give you the details.

What are the articles?  I will ask about them the next time I go.

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Be careful. He wants one of you to steal Tropic of Capricorn so he can finally return it to his local library and get the heat off.

Wait a minute... did I tell this story?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, SDS said:

I figured the only reason libraries were still open was for movie crews to film scenes where some rogue character or up-and-coming detective was frantically scrolling through microfilm news articles from 1983 based on a hunch before the character slowly raises their head aghast as some foreboding music starts to play in the background indicating puzzle pieces of the plot were beginning to fall into place. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Be careful. He wants one of you to steal Tropic of Capricorn so he can finally return it to his local library and get the heat off.

The problem is that I don’t even remember this detail. I remember losing a zodiac book when I was in fifth grade, but I can’t recall which one in the series it was. Why would you ever remember such a thing?

1 hour ago, SDS said:

The problem is that I don’t even remember this detail. I remember losing a zodiac book when I was in fifth grade, but I can’t recall which one in the series it was. Why would you ever remember such a thing?

You definitely weren't reading Tropic of Capricorn in fifth grade.  Or you shouldn't have been, anyway.

The Tropic of Capricorn thing is a reference to Seinfeld.

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

You definitely weren't reading Tropic of Capricorn in fifth grade.  Or you shouldn't have been, anyway.

The Tropic of Capricorn thing is a reference to Seinfeld.

Ha. So in a weird coincidence of things, when I was in fifth grade I went to the library and took out a book series, one for each zodiac sign. Well I lost one and the library was super pissed because paying for it didn’t matter because it was part of a series. I believe the book was either the Cancer or Capricorn volume. 

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Lol. I believe I have 2 books from I was like 3 yrs old. ‘They’ stopped asking for overdue book fines about 10 yrs ago 

36 minutes ago, SDS said:

Ha. So in a weird coincidence of things, when I was in fifth grade I went to the library and took out a book series, one for each zodiac sign. Well I lost one and the library was super pissed because paying for it didn’t matter because it was part of a series. I believe the book was either the Cancer or Capricorn volume. 

You still don't realize, after all this time, I'm Mrs. LoBianco?

(I think I'd give up that one Stanley Cup I want for SDS actually having a librarian by that name.)

This is getting weird.

Microfiche is flat.  It's a single sheet with multiple images.  You move the reader on an X by Y axis over the image you want to see.

Microfilm is on a roll.  (Preferably Kaiser, because I don't like all of the salt that's on a Kummelweck roll.)

Also, @PASabreFan, since you brought up Seinfeld, did you know that Jason Alexander and Howard Simon are cousins?  I just learned that on Wednesday.  I'll bet Jason brags about that all the time at parties.

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.