Derek Roy retired

Huckleberry

He was always one of my favorite players back in the last 'good' era. I never understood all the criticism he received on this and other boards - all he ever did was play hard every night, and he was arguably the most consistent producer on offense during his time here (with the exception of Briere's best year). He was a great skater and had a creative mind for making plays. He rarely got hurt, too. I have a lot of great memories of the magical breakout season of Roy centering the third line between Vanek and Afinogenov, exploiting other teams' mid- and bottom-pairing D with a lot of Showtime goals. Roy then continued to produce consistently on the top line after Briere and Drury left town. What I wouldn't give to have a center like Derek Roy in his prime on the Sabres today! 

Congrats to Derek Roy on a great, if under-appreciated, career. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Skibum said:

He was always one of my favorite players back in the last 'good' era. I never understood all the criticism he received on this and other boards - all he ever did was play hard every night, and he was arguably the most consistent producer on offense during his time here (with the exception of Briere's best year). He was a great skater and had a creative mind for making plays. He rarely got hurt, too. I have a lot of great memories of the magical breakout season of Roy centering the third line between Vanek and Afinogenov, exploiting other teams' mid- and bottom-pairing D with a lot of Showtime goals. Roy then continued to produce consistently on the top line after Briere and Drury left town. What I wouldn't give to have a center like Derek Roy in his prime on the Sabres today! 

Congrats to Derek Roy on a great, if under-appreciated, career. 

I wish I had anything other than anecdotal evidence but here goes.  Bulldog mentioned years ago (obviously) that Roy was heard on the ice telling an opponent he was going too hard and he should lighten up a bit. Essentially assailing his character to the worst kind of pro athlete.  The guy who isn’t going 100%, wants to cash his checks and live his playboy lifestyle. Take that for what’s it’s worth. 

8 hours ago, inkman said:

I wish I had anything other than anecdotal evidence but here goes.  Bulldog mentioned years ago (obviously) that Roy was heard on the ice telling an opponent he was going too hard and he should lighten up a bit. Essentially assailing his character to the worst kind of pro athlete.  The guy who isn’t going 100%, wants to cash his checks and live his playboy lifestyle. Take that for what’s it’s worth. 

“Guys relax! It’s a game”

That’s what was said in the corner as a bunch of players were wacking at the puck trying to gain possession.

I didn’t care for Roy. I tolerated him as a Sabre. He lost a step after his big knee injury/surgery.

On 5/20/2021 at 11:33 AM, I-90 W said:

Man I miss those bubble teams around 2007-2011, feels like it’s been so long since I actually enjoyed being a Sabres fan. 😔 

Those days will return. We just don't know when.

I was just about front row in back of the Sabres bench when I saw Derek Roy play as a rookie at the TD Garden in Boston. His speed from that angle was electrifying. Vanek-Roy-Pominville was one of the top five Sabre lines ever. #9 was worn by a total of nineteen Sabres through the years including Eichel. None of the nineteen wore #9 for long except for Derek Roy, between 2004-2012, twice as long as anyone else.   

The #9 is the most common retired number, put to the rafters 10 times, by 9 individual teams (New York Rangers retired it twice). Nine is often referred to as the best number of all-time, for the number of superstars to have donned it on their backs.

The Sabres who wore #9:

Reggie Fleming 1971

Danny Lawson 1972

Rick Martin 1973

Norm Gratton 1973-1975

Butch Deadmarsh 1973

Rick Dudley 1975-1981

Jacques Richard 1976-1979

J.F. Sauve 1981

Gilles Hamel 1982-1986

Mike Moller 1982

Scott Arniel 1987-1990

Greg Brown 1991

Viktor Gordiouk 1993-1995

Vaclav Varada 1996

Erik Rasmussen 1998-2002

Derek Roy 2004-2012

Steve Ott 2013-2014

Evander Kane 2016-2018

Jack Eichel 2019-2021

Edited by Kong

On 5/20/2021 at 7:42 PM, Zamboni said:

“Guys relax! It’s a game”

That’s what was said in the corner as a bunch of players were wacking at the puck trying to gain possession.

I didn’t care for Roy. I tolerated him as a Sabre. He lost a step after his big knee injury/surgery.

On 5/20/2021 at 11:03 AM, inkman said:

This bothers you? Maybe there was something going on that could’ve injured someone? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.