OT: WNY Pizza... What's the best?

JoeSchmoe

10 hours ago, SDS said:

There’s too much friggin cheese on Buffalo pizza.  

I love a properly made margarita pizza which is the exact opposite of that. It’s a simple crust topped with San Marzano tomatoes and dollops of buffalo mozzarella, not an oppressive sheet drenched in grease and oil.

honey boo boo thumbs down GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, SDS said:

If I wanna plate of thick greasy cheese I don’t need to buy a pizza to get that.

The combination of cheese, sauce/spices, crust, and pepperoni are what make it good.

25 minutes ago, SDS said:

Pizza does not have to be a food that you hate yourself for eating.

When i eat Buffalo pizza, i definitely try to eat less slices, than if I'm eating a Neopolitan or a Margherita style you describe. Like 3 slices of Buffalo style would make me extremely full whereas I'll eat a good 8 slices of thin crust after eating some antipasto apps.

Problem is, I'm also likely to knock back 10 wings dipped in Bleu Cheese to go with my 3 slices of Buffalo pizza.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

If I wanna plate of thick greasy cheese I don’t need to buy a pizza to get that. Pizza does not have to be a food that you hate yourself for eating.

I have never hated myself for eating Buffalo pizza.

Of course, I only have it once or twice a year.

I prefer the sweet sauce of Buffalo to the sweet dough of NY. The carbs in the pizza around here makes my heart beat out of my chest.

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I have never hated myself for eating Buffalo pizza.

Of course, I only have it once or twice a year.

I prefer the sweet sauce of Buffalo to the sweet dough of NY. The carbs in the pizza around here makes my heart beat out of my chest.

I get once a year. I probably do that myself once every couple years when I’m at family stuff. I couldn’t imagine eating that every Friday though. 

9 minutes ago, SDS said:

I get once a year. I probably do that myself once every couple years when I’m at family stuff. I couldn’t imagine eating that every Friday though. 

I can’t imagine eating any pizza every Friday. We probably have it once every two months. If I lived in Buffalo, I know we’d have it more.

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I can’t imagine eating any pizza every Friday. We probably have it once every two months. If I lived in Buffalo, I know we’d have it more.

We get it every Friday. 

I've already seen several of my favorites since was so late in posting. Yet I'm from Kenmore so my favorites growing up were Bocce and Franco's. Yet as a teen spent a lot of time on Hertel so ended up liking Bob and John's La Hacienda. At work in my late 20s I was introduced to La Nova. Then I started dated a girl and now married to a girl from South Buffalo and when at her place we'd do Imperial. Now in my 40s we live in Tonawanda and our go to is Franco's. 

Edited by The Jokeman

18 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I've already seen several of my favorites since was so late in posting. Yet I'm from Kenmore so my favorites growing up were Bocce and Franco's. Yet as a teen spent a lot of time on Hertel so ended up liking Bob and John's La Hacienda. At work in my late 20s I was introduced to La Nova. Then I started dated a girl and now married to a girl from South Buffalo and when at her place we'd do Imperial. Now in my 40s we live in Tonawanda and our go to is Franco's. 

That's the point, innit?  In Buffalo the best pizza is your local pizza joint.  There are lots of them.

It's kind of like barbecue or tacos here in Texas:  The best places are local dives.

Grew up on Bocce’s on Abbott in Buffalo. Then I think the uncle split off and started Imperial. I remember them being pretty much identical pies.

I compare every pizza to Bocce’s now. Now living in Williamsville there’s a Bocce’s on Hopkins. So I grab a pie from them roughly once a month. I have pizza roughly twice a month. Gotta be disciplined 😂 

I mentioned I get pizza every Monday from Buffalo Bros.  I did that all through the pandemic; I missed two Mondays in all that time.  One I think was a Monday holiday and I forgot to get pizza, and the other was when Buffalo Bros lost power during the Texas Freeze.  I made my own that day.

image.png

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 3

On 5/19/2021 at 12:26 PM, Taro T said:

Ra-cha-cha & Finger Lakes has good pizza (& some great pizza, Avicoli's in Seneca Falls is great) but it is different from that found in Buffalo.  The sauce is a little different & very few places use the cup pepperoni.  (J&L's being a noticeable exception.)  A similar crust & lots of cheese & like that found in the Nickel City, but it is different.

That’s...odd...almost every single local place I get pizza from in Roch has cup and char...

On 5/19/2021 at 4:31 AM, Weave said:

I think Buffalo just caught up with everyone. Pizza used to be way cheaper here than anywhere else.

I’ll say.  I moved out here to California and it’s mainly chains.  First experience was with Straw Hat and I ordered a small.  It was very small and was like $9.  I was then amazed when I’d go back to Buffalo and a large was still like $6 and tasted a lot better.  Didn’t change much thru the 1990s.  Haven’t been back in a while.

Bocce at last when I was growing up.  We have Galla pizza here for Buffalo style pizza.  The owner’s dad owned Godfathers pizza back in the day. 

I finally figured out the best way to reheat pizza.  Use an iron skillet.  Turn on the skillet to medium heat.  Once hot put the pizza in and let the bottom start to crisp up.  Then place foil over the top to reheat the toppings and re-melt the cheese

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Bocce at last when I was growing up.  We have Galla pizza here for Buffalo style pizza.  The owner’s dad owned Godfathers pizza back in the day. 

I finally figured out the best way to reheat pizza.  Use an iron skillet.  Turn on the skillet to medium heat.  Once hot put the pizza in and let the bottom start to crisp up.  Then place foil over the top to reheat the toppings and re-melt the cheese

I prefer leftover pizza old, but if you are gonna reheat it, a overed pan is def the way to go.  Keeps the crust nice and crisp.  But you have to cover it to get a good shot at melting the cheese again.

I love Buffalo style pizza but having travel extensively I know it is not everybody’s cup of tea.  

The Buffalo style evolved from The Bocce Club, I recall getting this stuff in the mid 60’s and I know they where around even longer.  LaNova, Mr Pizza, Just Pizza, Imperial, Franco, etc., are all variants of the original Bocce and this is the style that is known as Buffalo Pizza - a medium crust, a sweeter sauce, a full pie of cheese, cupped curled pepperoni, oil pooling on top.  

This pizza would not make it in Italy.  😂 

• Like (+1) 2

Anyone have any good recommendations for good buffalo style pizza and wings close to the I-86 corridor/southern tier/ southern finger lakes area?  I'm visiting in July and after reading all this, I have to try and find something.  

On 5/19/2021 at 9:51 PM, SDS said:

So John Candy filmed a movie somewhere in the Batavia area back in the late 80s. Somehow my mother got roped in to some after party. I don’t remember if it was related to Batavia Downs or not. Regardless, Pontillo’s closed the restaurant down and John Candy made pizzas for everyone in attendance. 

That's awesome. I would have loved to hang with John Candy! Such a funny dude.

6 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

I’ll say.  I moved out here to California and it’s mainly chains.  First experience was with Straw Hat and I ordered a small.  It was very small and was like $9.  I was then amazed when I’d go back to Buffalo and a large was still like $6 and tasted a lot better.  Didn’t change much thru the 1990s.  Haven’t been back in a while.

I was going to ask how much Buffalo pizza is.  Instead I looked up Bocce Club's menu.  Large with Pepperoni is $23.22 before tax.  Buffalo Bros here in Texas is $21.99 which I thought was ridiculous, but I guess it's in line with Buffalo (and if someone says yeah but Bocce is premium priced, producing good Buffalo pizza in Texas also commands a premium).  It's a bargain on Mondays though when Bros has their half off pizza special.

When I worked at Roma's from 1978-80, a large pepperoni pizza there was $4.50.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.