OT: WNY Pizza... What's the best?

JoeSchmoe

I prefer a sweet pizza sauce versus spicy, and don’t like a pizza that has so much sauce that one bite leads to all the toppings coming off. 

If it meets that criteria, I will eat just about any pizza, chain or local. 

If you are a fan of breakfast pizza, Tops is very good. 

...and Ferro’s in West Seneca makes a really good thin crust pizza.  I believe the owners are the same people who ran Gino and Joe’s downtown forever.  On a related note, I’ve been retired for 5+ years, and not even sure if Gino and Joe’s is still open in the Main Place Mall.  

Edited by LabattBlue

16 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I prefer a sweet pizza sauce versus spicy, and don’t like a pizza that has so much sauce that one bite leads to all the toppings coming off. 

If it meets that criteria, I will eat just about any pizza, chain or local. 

If you are a fan of breakfast pizza, Tops is very good. 

...and Ferro’s in West Seneca makes a really good thin crust pizza.  I believe the owners are the same people who ran Gino and Joe’s downtown forever.  On a related note, I’ve been retired for 5+ years, and not even sure if Gino and Joe’s is still open in the Main Place Mall.  

Tops' breakfast pizza is elite.

• Like (+1) 1

It's a bit out of the way, but Lovejoy Pizza is an absolute gem. That's my favourite Buffalo pie.

Muscarella's on Main Street in Williamsville is excellent - they do something unique with their dough, imo. They cook it longer than most places, and it has this wonderful fluffiness to it.

DiPaulo's in the Town of Tonawanda is often our go-to. Consistently good.

Finally, it's not really a Buffalo style, but Olisi's on Sheridan Drive is excellent. We get that when we're wanting a thinner crust.

• Like (+1) 1

For me Bocce's (Bocce Club) is the best.  I used to prefer Leonardi's, which was a spinoff of Bocce's, but they recently closed after being in business since the 70's.  I don't live in the area anymore, so my opinion is based on the past.  My best friend, who still lives in the Buffalo area, had a Bocce pie sent to me for my birthday last year and I order from there every time I get back into town.  I also like La Nova quite a bit.

• Like (+1) 3

I need to find the youtube video I watched about what makes Buffalo pizza unique.  If memory serves they said the sauce is tomato paste based instead of tomato sauce based.  Basically, tomato paste carmelized, thinned, and sweetened.  The crust we all know is neither thin nor thick.  It’s the perfect mashup of chewy with a bit of air to it.

We use Darryl’s pizzeria in Perry as an excuse to hit the Silver Lake Brewing Co. A couple of good beers and a couple of slices of the closest pizza I have found to Buffalo pizza outside of the Buffalo metro area.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

Cold Good Guys pizza is what most reminds me of home. I agree Franco's usually undercooks like Liger said. Bocce is also very good. You can get good pizza anywhere in WNY, you guys are fortunate. I had pizza hut stuffed crust last week and that's about as high a quality as there is here. 

2 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I'm surprised there would be a discernable difference as close as Rochester. Does Rochester have a style?

Ra-cha-cha & Finger Lakes has good pizza (& some great pizza, Avicoli's in Seneca Falls is great) but it is different from that found in Buffalo.  The sauce is a little different & very few places use the cup pepperoni.  (J&L's being a noticeable exception.)  A similar crust & lots of cheese & like that found in the Nickel City, but it is different.

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Ra-cha-cha & Finger Lakes has good pizza (& some great pizza, Avicoli's in Seneca Falls is great) but it is different from that found in Buffalo.  The sauce is a little different & very few places use the cup pepperoni.  (J&L's being a noticeable exception.)  A similar crust & lots of cheese & like that found in the Nickel City, but it is different.

The pizza I get in town is basically Rochester pizza.  It’s definitely different and we miss going anywhere close for pizza and getting Buffalo pizza.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, steveoath said:

What makes a pizza a WNY pizza?

*no troll, I'm not a WNYer so have no idea*

This is a good article on the subject:  Is America’s Pizza Capital Buffalo, New York?

I do okay here in Texas.  We have a "Buffalo bar" run by a guy from Kenmore.  He uses authentic recipes for pizza as well as wings, beef on weck, etc.

20210315_173527.thumb.jpg.cf5f6f7ea983afc8d1e6975d8f159c95.jpg

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 4

I haven't been in WNY since 2005 but Leonardi's was always my very very favorite. Unfortunately they closed after fifty years prompting this video; https://www.facebook.com/news4buffalo/videos/bruce-s-warrick-is-completely-heartbroken-that-leonardis-pizzeria-in-amherst-has/1231664850377288/

Is anyone taking their recipe and running with it? I heard Bailey Ave. Pizza North tried but couldn't do it. Now they're closed too.

• Like (+1) 1

I grew up by La Nova and played hockey with Joey back when his grandpa owned and operated the joint so that has always been my go to. Still to this day, every time I go home I get La Nova. It may not be the best but it's a true Buffalo staple.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I lowkey love Mister Pizza. It has the right crust thickness for my tastes and their sauce is good. 

When I was growing up and my mom was ordering, this was her choice.

So good, damn I'm getting hungry reading this thread and I'm stuck in California with no good pizza this sucks. 

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I lowkey love Mister Pizza. It has the right crust thickness for my tastes and their sauce is good. 

Definitely not a bad spot. Used to be the go-to for SB parties in my part of town because they would always fit your order in

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

It's a bit out of the way, but Lovejoy Pizza is an absolute gem. That's my favourite Buffalo pie.

Muscarella's on Main Street in Williamsville is excellent - they do something unique with their dough, imo. They cook it longer than most places, and it has this wonderful fluffiness to it.

DiPaulo's in the Town of Tonawanda is often our go-to. Consistently good.

Finally, it's not really a Buffalo style, but Olisi's on Sheridan Drive is excellent. We get that when we're wanting a thinner crust.

I had a ***** meltdown as a young adult still adjusting to adult life but had Lovejoy that day and it healed all wounds.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

For Buffalo style, Blasdell Pizza is very good.

Our favorite isn't quite true Buffalo style but comes from LaPaloma's in Alden.

J&L's has the best Buffalo style in greater Ra-cha-cha over near Fairport.

3 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I'm surprised there would be a discernable difference as close as Rochester. Does Rochester have a style?

It's not Buffalo or Rochester style, but Linda's NY Pizzeria on Lyell Ave is/was amazing.  I haven't been there in a while, but they had some of the best individual slices in the area

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.