Sabres Head Coaching Search

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I don’t think Jack really would want out quite yet if KA was committed to being on the same page with him. Considering what the return for Jack will likely be, I’d risk him changing his mind later if I can mend fences in the now. 

I’ve said all along you probably need to move Jack before his NMC kicks in if he’s set on leaving, but I don’t know that to be the case. 

I've long harbored doubts that the NMC is as big of a problem as it is sometimes made out to be.  It would certainly hurt the Sabres' return, and there is a non-negligible chance that it has a substantial negative impact, but there are also plenty of scenarios where wait-and-see turns out to be the best approach for the Sabres to take with Eichel.

37 minutes ago, SwampD said:

We need to go full Tampa and LTIR Eichel.

Now that would be a true ZFG move.

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

or Skinner. 

I have been thinking this too -- that Skinner's presence is the biggest obstacle to landing Brind'Amour if he leaves Carolina.

Separately:  regarding Quinn, it wouldn't surprise me at all if all or a large part of KA's motivation in interviewing him is to pick Quinn's brain on Eichel.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I've long harbored doubts that the NMC is as big of a problem as it is sometimes made out to be.  It would certainly hurt the Sabres' return, and there is a non-negligible chance that it has a substantial negative impact, but there are also plenty of scenarios where wait-and-see turns out to be the best approach for the Sabres to take with Eichel.

Jack Eichel doesn’t strike me as a patient man.

If want he wants is simply “out” and we still haven’t obliged him 13 months from now, I don’t think he’ll be overly picky if it’s not “Boston” or NY or whatever his Fave might be.

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Now that would be a true ZFG move.

Then build a team without him, up to the cap.

Let him get his surgery, under protest, as per his contract. If it works, we get Jack back for the playoffs. If it doesn’t, he voids his contract and goes away and we don’t care anyway, cuz he’s broken.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Jack Eichel doesn’t strike me as a patient man.

If want he wants is simply “out” and we still haven’t obliged him 13 months from now, I don’t think he’ll be overly picky if it’s not “Boston” or NY or whatever his Fave might be.

I don’t think this franchise can afford to take that risk.

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Was that before Jason Karmanos and Kevyn Adams?

Do we know what he thinks of them?

Brindamour currently works for the the self proclaimed Most Meddlesome Owner in the NHL in Tom Dundon.

The difference is Dundon questions His Staff on Why they want to do something, but ultimately listens to them. 

Let. Eichel. Go. This is like a bad marriage. Don't try appease to him (again) with a different "tailor made" coach. He doesn't want to play here anymore. Realize this and just end it on amicable terms.

Edited by Kong

33 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Then build a team without him, up to the cap.

Let him get his surgery, under protest, as per his contract. If it works, we get Jack back for the playoffs. If it doesn’t, he voids his contract and goes away and we don’t care anyway, cuz he’s broken.

He's not going to get the surgery if he has to bear the risk of voiding his contract.  That's why he hasn't gotten it already.

25 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I don’t think this franchise can afford to take that risk.

Well, I think the risk is that they get a much worse return for him if they wait until his NMC is effective -- but that depends on how good the offers they get this summer are.  You are right that it would be risky to turn down a great offer this summer.  However, if the offers they get are heavily discounted because of the injury, then the risk of the NMC burning them is substantially reduced, because the NMC-limited offers won't be that much worse than the injury-discounted offers.

26 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

He's not going to get the surgery if he has to bear the risk of voiding his contract.  That's why he hasn't gotten it already.

Well, I think the risk is that they get a much worse return for him if they wait until his NMC is effective -- but that depends on how good the offers they get this summer are.  You are right that it would be risky to turn down a great offer this summer.  However, if the offers they get are heavily discounted because of the injury, then the risk of the NMC burning them is substantially reduced, because the NMC-limited offers won't be that much worse than the injury-discounted offers.

If the contract gets voided hes a RFA still correct? 

42 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

If the contract gets voided hes a RFA still correct? 

I have no idea but I would guess that the Sabres have the choice of either voiding the contract or keeping it in place, and if they void it he’s unrestricted.  

Gallant is the guy that I feel can right this ship and make this team better.  Next choice is Brindamour and hoping the Carolina connection helps us.   Those are the two that I feel can get results and Coach a playoff hockey style of game.   Those are the two that will play a style the fans love.  I would have been pursuing Gallant all along and wrapping him up.  

Boudreau is a tier below them. Tochett is two tiers below them.  

Euro coaches and colleges coaches are much more of a crap shoot. 

Watching the playoffs, and the style of play that wins, makes me want Gallant or Brindamour.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I have no idea but I would guess that the Sabres have the choice of either voiding the contract or keeping it in place, and if they void it he’s unrestricted.  

Or.... could they keep him under contract but sue him for damages? I really don't know. (i.e., might not be all or nothing)

On the most recent 31 Thoughts Podcast the Topic of Gallant’s Coaching Style came up. Friedman described Him as not a X’s and O’s Guy, He leaves that to His Assistants. If the Sabres are moving forward without Eichel and Reinhart and going with younger players, Gallant would not be a good fit. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

On the most recent 31 Thoughts Podcast the Topic of Gallant’s Coaching Style came up. Friedman described Him as not a X’s and O’s Guy, He leaves that to His Assistants. If the Sabres are moving forward without Eichel and Reinhart and going with younger players, Gallant would not be a good fit. 

There's a reason he fit the expansion LV team so well.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The Sabres are going to screw Granato just long enough for him to go elsewhere and then hire an inferior coach with all their slow moving shenanigans. Gallant would have been great before Krueger but here we are. Hire a guy you know has a connection and at least mild success with the group. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Of course, perhaps signing Gallant alters the equation for Eichel & Reinhart.  It would be an indication that the Pegulas care more about winning than having fun playing with their toy.  Players love Gallant.  Owners, & probably GMs as well, not so much.

It also would be an ideal situation to bring Gronborg in on.  Everybody knows the ship will get righted under Gallant but also that he'll likely wear out his welcome within 3 years.  Have Gronborg, Bales, someone like Granato ('cause it's unlikely he'd stay in this scenario), & Girardi working the X's & O's with Gallant setting the tone.  And then you've got 1-3 internal candidates to take over when Gere is on his own to get a ride back to the airport.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I take a different viewpoint.  What does a young rebuilding team need?

Do they need a guy who will have the best X and O work on the whiteboard?  With a potentially complicated, nuanced system?

Or do they need a guy who is going to demand that they behave, prepare, and work like professional hockey players?  While maybe the Xs and Os are a little simpler?

I think they need that 2nd guy to give them structure and instill good habits for a couple years. Then maybe they need need a great X and O guy to get them over the hump while the team leaders are still self enforcing that everyone work like that previous coach demanded of them.

• Like (+1) 3

15 hours ago, nfreeman said:

And it carries the added benefit of allowing for the possibility Jack comes back this coming season healthy and plays well and the *chance* the relationship turns around in the interim. 

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Who hires Gallant's assistants?  A lot of posts here seem to assume GMKA will bring in Gallant and his replacement candidates.

Humor Boomer GIF

Gallant will hire his own staff, no?

Of course Gallant should pick the assistants he wants.  But, it seems quite reasonable that before an offer is made that he'd have discussions with his boss about who they are.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Of course, perhaps signing Gallant alters the equation for Eichel & Reinhart.  It would be an indication that the Pegulas care more about winning than having fun playing with their toy.  Players love Gallant.  Owners, & probably GMs as well, not so much.

It also would be an ideal situation to bring Gronborg in on.  Everybody knows the ship will get righted under Gallant but also that he'll likely wear out his welcome within 3 years.  Have Gronborg, Bales, someone like Granato ('cause it's unlikely he'd stay in this scenario), & Girardi working the X's & O's with Gallant setting the tone.  And then you've got 1-3 internal candidates to take over when Gere is on his own to get a ride back to the airport.

I this situation We need to look at the Big Picture.  The Band known as The Atlantic Division is getting back together again and 2 out of the 4 Remaining Semi Final Teams with a possibility of a 3rd come from that division . (yes Montreal had a much easier pathway).  

Tampa, Boston, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, And Toronto are all ahead of the Presently Assembled Sabres even with a Healthy Jack Eichel and the chances of Adams being able to assemble a roster that can leap into a playoff spot without heavily mortgaging the are pretty slim. 

The Sabres and Eichel are pretty damn close, if they haven’t passed already, the point of no return in ending their relationship. The sooner they part ways the better, IMO even if Adams has to follow in Sakic’s Footsteps and hold play Jack for 10-15 games next year. 

Bringing Gallant in for what might be an one and done with Jack and Sam is risky IMO

59 minutes ago, Curt said:

I take a different viewpoint.  What does a young rebuilding team need?

Do they need a guy who will have the best X and O work on the whiteboard?  With a potentially complicated, nuanced system?

Or do they need a guy who is going to demand that they behave, prepare, and work like professional hockey players?  While maybe the Xs and Os are a little simpler?

I think they need that 2nd guy to give them structure and instill good habits for a couple years. Then maybe they need need a great X and O guy to get them over the hump while the team leaders are still self enforcing that everyone work like that previous coach demanded of them.

I believe the Sabres need to hire a Head Coach who know how to develop players but also has an understanding and can implement a system that best suits younger players.  Granato said in an interview he adapts His Coaching Styles to specific players. One of the reasons Why Florida let Gallant go was the He would not listen to input from the analytics department on lines and line matchups. What happens if the player development department makes a suggestion on How to work with a specific player and Gallant doesn’t agree with it. 

I love Gallant as HC, I just don’t believe he’s right for this team especially if they are going younger. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I this situation We need to look at the Big Picture.  The Band known as The Atlantic Division is getting back together again and 2 out of the 4 Remaining Semi Final Teams with a possibility of a 3rd come from that division . (yes Montreal had a much easier pathway).  

Tampa, Boston, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, And Toronto are all ahead of the Presently Assembled Sabres even with a Healthy Jack Eichel and the chances of Adams being able to assemble a roster that can leap into a playoff spot without heavily mortgaging the are pretty slim. 

The Sabres and Eichel are pretty damn close, if they haven’t passed already, the point of no return in ending their relationship. The sooner they part ways the better, IMO even if Adams has to follow in Sakic’s Footsteps and hold play Jack for 10-15 games next year. 

Bringing Gallant in for what might be an one and done with Jack and Sam is risky IMO

I believe the Sabres need to hire a Head Coach who know how to develop players but also has an understanding and can implement a system that best suits younger players.  Granato said in an interview he adapts His Coaching Styles to specific players. One of the reasons Why Florida let Gallant go was the He would not listen to input from the analytics department on lines and line matchups. What happens if the player development department makes a suggestion on How to work with a specific player and Gallant doesn’t agree with it. 

I love Gallant as HC, I just don’t believe he’s right for this team especially if they are going younger. 

Anyone in the org that thinks like the bold shouldn’t be in charge. 

An absolute losers mentality, imo, no offence (as you aren’t running the team)

IMO this is too similar to the prevalent twitter notion of “there’s nothing we can do for years” line of thinking. We haven’t even had a second C or goaltending, if we actually *improved* the roster, a wildcard would be in reach. 

“Not mortgaging the future” for a decade has done a good job ensuring that future never came. What are we waiting for, the player we trade Eichel for to....become Jack Eichel? History is full of teams turning it around in way quicker fashion, and we want to punt away multiple seasons in advance in the name of not being able to compete with the likes of Montreal.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.