Sabres Head Coaching Search

Brawndo

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think the Sabres have deliberately scheduled this partially in order to see what happens with a few coaches under contract. Sullivan and Brind’Amour are the two I had in mind, there may be others.

I think either is unlikely, but I doubt we see a Sabres announcement prior to Rod officially telling them no.

I think they like Sullivan a lot

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think the Sabres have deliberately scheduled this partially in order to see what happens with a few coaches under contract. Sullivan and Brind’Amour are the two I had in mind, there may be others.

I think either is unlikely, but I doubt we see a Sabres announcement prior to Rod officially telling them no.

Brindamour isn't leaving Raleigh. 

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Brindamour isn't leaving Raleigh. 

Every day that passes without him signing increases the likelihood that he entertains other offers.  I would go so far as to say that it's at least 50/50 that he's already reached that point.

7 hours ago, Kristian said:

do you honestly think the team has shown anything to warrant optimism,

Yes.  They went back to the blue and gold, back to the original logo.  For that I will follow them into hell.

And I have.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Sullivan? The Penguins HC?

yeh

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Every day that passes without him signing increases the likelihood that he entertains other offers.  I would go so far as to say that it's at least 50/50 that he's already reached that point.

IMO this won't be true until theyre out of playoffs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

IMO this won't be true until theyre out of playoffs

Agreed. But they should also force a game seven against Tampa and then have him announce his extension to the team right before the game.

On 6/4/2021 at 7:53 PM, darksabre said:

If Gronborg is so good why doesn't he already have a job? He's been speculated about for years.

I dont know to be honest, since when did a NHL org hire a head coach with 0 nhl experiance? i think that is why. There are really good coaches out there in the hockey world, some org need to take the first step i guess.

Edited by MODO Hockey

On 6/6/2021 at 5:07 AM, Kristian said:

Not that I disagree, but to be entirely fair to perhaps myself and other posters, do you honestly think the team has shown anything to warrant optimism, these past years?

Not trying to pick a fight, an honest question.

I guess my point is, until the team shows some reason for optimism, we can’t hardly blame people for being the opposite?

This has been a nightmare skid for years.

I hear ya. It's easy to get in and stay in that nadir mindset. But, given this season's results, we have nowhere else to go but up. So, I'm not looking to fight either. I'm not as much of a pest as I was in the past, but I still like to think outside of the box.

As for my snarky remark about hiring a coach who will eventually get fired, I got that idea from Bum Phillips. He once said that there are two types of coaches: ones that have been fired, and ones that will eventually get fired.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

I hear ya. It's easy to get in and stay in that nadir mindset. But, given this season's results, we have nowhere else to go but up. So, I'm not looking to fight either. I'm not as much of a pest as I was in the past, but I still like to think outside of the box.

As for my snarky remark about hiring a coach who will eventually get fired, I got that idea from Bum Phillips. He once said that there are two types of coaches: ones that have been fired, and ones that will eventually get fired.

True about the coaches - I’d take someone who’s been fired any day.

Hell at this point, I’d settle for someone without Premier League experience.

I won’t pretend I have a clue as to which type of coach this team needs, but personally I’m at the point where I cringe everytime I hear the word “system”.

But maybe that’s just me…

Edited by Kristian

40 minutes ago, Kristian said:

True about the coaches - I’d take someone who’s been fired any day.

Hell at this point, I’d settle for someone without Premier League experience.

I won’t pretend I have a clue as to which type of coach this team needs, but personally I’m at the point where I cringe everytime I hear the word “system”.

But maybe that’s just me…

It's not you. I don't think we're alone on that. The long of it and the short of it is this: We. Want. Results. Not excuses.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Jack Quinn seems a little young but I like the cut of his jib. 

This seems to be coming from hockey buzz........so probably not going to get anywhere. Although he checks boxes. 

21 minutes ago, Radar said:

This seems to be coming from hockey buzz........so probably not going to get anywhere. Although he checks boxes. 

It comes from Haggarty and crew out of Boston and they don’t even say it is inside info, more speculation to appease Jack.  The days of appeasing Jack are over.

On 6/7/2021 at 12:15 PM, Flashsabre said:

Some interesting updates. The coaches from the WCs are probably Gallant and Nate Leaman, maybe Andre Tourigny as well.

From the NHL they are probably hoping for Brind’Amour but Lane Lambert at the Isles would be a candidate too.

I can't see the Isles letting Lambert go with all the success he's had. 

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Saw on the hockey future boards quinn likely to be the next coach of the Sabres

Larry Quinn back with the Sabres? Oh hell no. j/k

Edited by The Jokeman

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I can't see the Isle letting Lambert go with all the success he's had. 

The Isles don’t get to decide whether Lambert takes another job or not.  Unless Lambert has a very unusual contract for an NHL assistant coach.

30 minutes ago, Curt said:

The Isles don’t get to decide whether Lambert takes another job or not.  Unless Lambert has a very unusual contract for an NHL assistant coach.

He is associate head coach so that might play into if a head coaching job is a step up and thus a promotion.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.