Sabres Head Coaching Search

Brawndo

Just now, #freejame said:

Ted Nolan—Latvia 

Actually, maybe there's a fundamental thing there:  If one's HC experience is with a tournament format club, maybe strong motivation skills and a one-dimensional coaching style is all that's needed.  By the time teams figure it out the tourny is over.  I don't know... thoughts?

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I agree with most of this post, especially that I wish Gronborg had been hired instead of RK, but he's a coach in the Swiss league, which is a big step down from the Swedish league.  He has not been a HC in the Swedish league or any comparable-or-better league.  (He used to coach the Swedish national team, which may be what you're thinking of.) 

Usually the best coaches move from SHL to NLA because of the money and living standards. And the fact with that beeing a coach in SHL wont take u anywhere else than the swiss league if u wanna make good money make the choice easy. And since there is no market for swedish coaches in NHL then NLA is the only choice really. 

And the best teams in NLA is compareable to SHL big time, really good players in that league. Fyi.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Let us all stop flinging insults at each other about Gronborg and put some objective perspective on him.

Gronborg is a head coach in the Swedish Elite League, so it's not like he has only been an assistant, only coaches the juniors / college / developmental leagues, short tournaments, etc.  He is an experienced, accomplished coach in one of the best pro leagues.

The big problem he has with the Sabres is the Sabres' baggage.  10 years of results from a deliberate tank.  Ralph Kreuger's monumental failure.  Rookie GM.  Unhappy top players.  Eichel's injury.

Thus, in spite of his accomplishments, his lack of head coaching experience in the NHL -- especially knowledge of the players, other coaches, etc. -- makes him a far riskier choice than he ought to be.  How will any cultural differences matter, if at all?  How will his lack of knowledge of the league affect the team?  Can he exploit his different perspective on the game to the Sabres' advantage?  How will he handle the travel, which is positively grueling by comparison?  How will the long season affect him?  How will his he adopt his strategies to the smaller ice surface?  How many other coaches allegedly got invited to B&B 50?  (50th anniversary of the collaboration of Benny and Bjorn of ABBA; I do know that Borje Salming was there, so it's not like they don't know their hockey.)

When I see this, it is crystal clear that he should have been the preferred out-of-the-box choice over Ralph Krueger -- more clear upside and less downside.  Speaking as someone who sees things differently from most, I view his experiences and perspective as largely positive, but they can boomerang and hit us instead.

I share @MODO Hockey's enthusiasm for him, but as a practical matter, I think GMKA has to *really* believe in him to hire him.

I think you should read my thread about who he is and what he knows, that should answer some of your questions, read his quotes and yea also, he is not a head coach in the Swedish elite league. He is coaching in Zurich, Switzerland. NLA.

Edited by MODO Hockey

13 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

I think you should read my thread about who he is and what he knows, that should answer some of your questions, read his quotes and yea also, he is not a head coach in the Swedish elite league. He is coaching in Zurich, Switzerland. NLA.

Yeah, I screwed up.  I just mis-remembered.  As stupid as it sounds, I have been crossing wires on Switzerland and Sweden since I was a kid.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Yeah, I screwed up.  I just mis-remembered.  As stupid as it sounds, I have been crossing wires on Switzerland and Sweden since I was a kid.

Wait… They’re not the same thing?

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Actually, maybe there's a fundamental thing there:  If one's HC experience is with a tournament format club, maybe strong motivation skills and a one-dimensional coaching style is all that's needed.  By the time teams figure it out the tourny is over.  I don't know... thoughts?

I think there's definitely something to this. It's a lot easier to get 20 guys to pull in the same direction over the course of 15 days than 200. Maybe some it is these are the coaches that have the most time to spend "behind the scenes" of the team building aspects (like organizational like the opening of Miracle). 

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I think there's definitely something to this. It's a lot easier to get 20 guys to pull in the same direction over the course of 15 days than 200. Maybe some it is these are the coaches that have the most time to spend "behind the scenes" of the team building aspects (like organizational like the opening of Miracle). 

Interesting. How many games was Granato coach?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Uh oh.  I opened up a can o' worms, didn't I?

Actually, that is part of the debate about Granato: how would he have done over a season?  The can was already opened.

8 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Actually, that is part of the debate about Granato: how would he have done over a season?  The can was already opened.

Well for me I just opened it tonight.

I just didn't put Donnie Meatballs in the same category but now I'm wondering.... why not?  I love the guy and I was ready for him to be the coach but now I get it.... they really do need to consider other options.  And pick the best one.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Well for me I just opened it tonight.

I just didn't put Donnie Meatballs in the same category but now I'm wondering.... why not?  I love the guy and I was ready for him to be the coach but now I get it.... they really do need to consider other options.  And pick the best one.

One thing to remember about meatballs is they go stale pretty quick...

I'm waiting for the nuclear reactor meltdown to commence on SS when the new HC is announced. Regardless of who gets hired (and eventually fired sooner or later), some posters on here will continue to display their perpetual pessimism over this team.

5 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

I'm waiting for the nuclear reactor meltdown to commence on SS when the new HC is announced. Regardless of who gets hired (and eventually fired sooner or later), some posters on here will continue to display their perpetual pessimism over this team.

Not that I disagree, but to be entirely fair to perhaps myself and other posters, do you honestly think the team has shown anything to warrant optimism, these past years?

Not trying to pick a fight, an honest question.

I guess my point is, until the team shows some reason for optimism, we can’t hardly blame people for being the opposite?

This has been a nightmare skid for years.

Edited by Kristian
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

It's a legitimate question. I wish he had taken over weeks before but it didn't. I think any new coach is apt to get a bit of a bounce. I think , for me, I not only liked the clubs response I liked what he's had to say about coaching. Also, if you hire anyone but an established NHL coach why not Granato? It's not like he has no coaching experience.

15 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Read it. Yes, I can see why teams have been looking at him as possibility. Still lean toward Granato if we're not getting established NHL coach. My hunch is we're not.

Nate Leaman will be returning from Latvia. That is someone they want to interview.  I don’t know about Gallant. There might still be some assistant coaches in the playoffs that they want to speak to as well. Probably when the Cup playoffs are over and they have spoken to everyone they want they will decide on the next coach.

I think the Sabres have deliberately scheduled this partially in order to see what happens with a few coaches under contract. Sullivan and Brind’Amour are the two I had in mind, there may be others.

I think either is unlikely, but I doubt we see a Sabres announcement prior to Rod officially telling them no.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.