Sabres Head Coaching Search

Brawndo

31 minutes ago, Justin C said:

I do wonder, if you bring in a Boudreau, if he can talk Granato in to staying on as his top assistant? Granato doesn't seem to have the personality where he would think it would be a slap in the face based off listening to him speak.

My hope would be if they went that route the new coach's first call would be to Granato and try to talk him into staying and adapt what he was doing at the end of the year. 

In the end though I think Granato gets the job so it won't matter.

Would expect Granato more likely to be willing to be the Amerks HC than an assistant under somebody else.

No word on Appert's (sp?) future to date.  So, no idea if they plan on having him come back either.

31 minutes ago, Justin C said:

I do wonder, if you bring in a Boudreau, if he can talk Granato in to staying on as his top assistant? Granato doesn't seem to have the personality where he would think it would be a slap in the face based off listening to him speak.

My hope would be if they went that route the new coach's first call would be to Granato and try to talk him into staying and adapt what he was doing at the end of the year. 

Would expect Granato more likely to be willing to be the Amerks HC than an assistant under somebody else.

No word on Appert's (sp?) future to date.  So, no idea if they plan on having him come back either.

32 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Pretty sure Granato literally said he wouldn't come back as an assistant here. Or roughly there about. Anyone confirm?

He said it’s impossible to make that call at this point in the process, and added he thinks of himself as a head coach.

My impression was that he’d listen to the pitch but thought it would be unlikely 

Just now, Taro T said:

Karmanos and Adams have certainly talked like there is no question Appert is coming back.

And really, given the nature of the season, there’s no reason to think otherwise 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Their character flaws have been revealed in how they've owned the team. Kim delighted in being called The Black Widow. Terry's overconfident in his hockey acumen. Any criticism of their character is still hockey-related. They're not bad people away from hockey, as far as I know, although it's fair to wonder how their flaws show up elsewhere. The difference seems obvious. As for hated, again — perspective and context. Do people hate Marchand? Of course they do.

When did this happen?

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I continue to shake my head, both at the situation with ownership and the reaction of some here. Is it me? Adams and now Karmanos have been hired to turn things around. Let them do it, unfettered. Making the front office look like an NHL front office again is a no-brainer. Nothing should have to be explained to the Pegulas. It's a waste of resources and worst of all it colors the decision-making process. If Terry's not a big analytics guy, it shouldn't matter. Get him out of the decision making. His thoughts on any Eichel trade should be moot.

Nothing wrong with  briefing the ownership about the state of the organization. Seems like overreaction to me to think otherwise.

• Thanks (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Nothing wrong with  briefing the ownership about the state of the organization. Seems like overreaction to me to think otherwise.

Except that that arrangement, with these owners, has never worked. There have been rumours of some sort of come to Jesus moment in Florida between Adams and the Pegulas. If he meets with them again, it casts serious doubt on the story.

1 hour ago, Justin C said:

I like to think the Sabres will offer a position to Granato but expecting him to be an assistant to his replacement would be awkward.  No way I would even suggest it to the new coach.

Edited by Doohickie

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Except that that arrangement, with these owners, has never worked. There have been rumours of some sort of come to Jesus moment in Florida between Adams and the Pegulas. If he meets with them again, it casts serious doubt on the story.

...in your mind. Only a fool would let a business unit run open loop.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Is the on-ice product a business? The question is probably at the core of historically bad ownership.

Hockey franchise is a business. An entertainment business. The product on the ice is providing entertainment which is the product you're selling. Seems that an owner of such a business has an invested interest in his product he's selling. If the consumer isn't entertained he has one way to transmit that to ownership........stop buying.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is the on-ice product a business? The question is probably at the core of historically bad ownership.

Technically hiring a new coach would be something within the purview of most ownership groups. After all, the HC will be their most prevalent representative of the team outside the team's stars. What it really comes down to is Adams and Karmanos asking the Pegulas for permission/opinions or are they laying out their strategy for future spending. The former could very from awful to shoulder shrugging indifference going forward. The latter would mean that at very least the Pegulas were no longer directly trying to make player personnel decisions.

As for Donato being willing to take a AC job under a different coach I would be very hesitant to believe it could happen. The lone scenario I can come up with would be the Sabres hire an older coach, all 32 NHL HC jobs are filled, Coach Q doesn't have space for him, and the vet coach invites him to return. Aside from a Hitchcock/Yeo situation I cannot see it playing out that way.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

I can’t imagine that Appert signed just a 1 year contract.  I’m sure he will be back.

Adams wanting to gain experience in the “HC search” arena by taking his time and interviewing many candidates, could have been avoided if ownership had hiring an experienced NHL GM instead of Adams 

Anyone who finds the silver lining in Adams statements in this regard, are grasping at straws.  

Sorry that I am pissed, after a decade of running this franchise into the ground, that ownership decided to go with a GM who is learning on the job. 

The Pegula’s are terrible owners, and anyone who spends a penny on the team prior to dramatic improvement of the on-ice product is a fool. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Adams wanting to gain experience in the “HC search” arena by taking his time and interviewing many candidates, could have been avoided if ownership had hiring an experienced NHL GM instead of Adams 

Anyone who finds the silver lining in Adams statements in this regard, are grasping at straws.  

Sorry that I am pissed, after a decade of running this franchise into the ground, that ownership decided to go with a GM who is learning on the job. 

The Pegula’s are terrible owners, and anyone who spends a penny on the team prior to dramatic improvement of the on-ice product is a fool. 

Can't really blame you for these sentiments.

34 minutes ago, Radar said:

Hockey franchise is a business. An entertainment business. The product on the ice is providing entertainment which is the product you're selling. Seems that an owner of such a business has an invested interest in his product he's selling. If the consumer isn't entertained he has one way to transmit that to ownership........stop buying.

Invested interest, sure. But they invested in a business they know nothing about. Certainly on the on-ice side. And most likely the business side of hockey well, given their many blunders.

I'd like to know how many wealthy people invest in NHL franchises, put good people in place and let the results speak for themselves. It's the smart way to invest. Imagine buying a dairy farm. Are you out there telling the boss what kind of tractor to buy and how they should milk the cows (left hand first! tug down at an angle!). (I'm aware they have machines now.)

47 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Of course it is.  You called it “product “ and that’s exactly what it.  It’s the end product of the business.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 5/18/2021 at 6:59 PM, spndnchz said:

Free ice cream for everyone !

I miss when this was a thing in my life.  Anytime the Badgers scored five or more, all ticket stubs to the game would get a free ice cream at Culver's the next week.  It was such ubiquitous delight that when the score was 4, the packed Kohl Center would chant "WE WANT ICE CREAM."  And with very good Badger teams led by Joe Pavelski, Kyle Turris, Brian Elliott, and others, we got free ice cream a lot.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

You are correct. It was either on WGR or with zoom conference call to the local media that he wouldn't stay as an assistant if someone else was hired. He said that his preference is to be a HC at whatever level. He said that is what he desires to do. 

That is a better memory "preference to be a hc" was I think almost the exact phrase. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Invested interest, sure. But they invested in a business they know nothing about. Certainly on the on-ice side. And most likely the business side of hockey well, given their many blunders.

I'd like to know how many wealthy people invest in NHL franchises, put good people in place and let the results speak for themselves. It's the smart way to invest. Imagine buying a dairy farm. Are you out there telling the boss what kind of tractor to buy and how they should milk the cows (left hand first! tug down at an angle!). (I'm aware they have machines now.)

Yes, I agree. But getting all upset because the people you hire report back to you is not evidence that you're telling them what to do. Again I think the Pegulas have hired the wrong people more so than telling them how to manage. That's on them. The buck stops there but this getting all upset and speculation on why KA would meet with them is foolish. When I met with my superiors I doubt our employees worried about them meddling.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Have you had his pannies?

Yeah, moving the goalposts to accuse Pegula critics of hating them personally is extremely reasonable.

If you’re referring to me… I literally wasn’t moving any goal posts… And I wasn’t accusing any Pegula critics.

if you took it that way… That’s on you.

I was stating an opinion of how I view Terry and Kim. Others can feel free to do the same. I know there are others who literally hate them both personally (if they know them) and professionally. And I know others who feel the way I feel. And I know others who love what they have done professionally and like them personally. at least what they know about them personally. No goal posts being moved, no accusations being made, no strawman being created. I was just stating an opinion of mine. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.