Sabres Head Coaching Search

Brawndo

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Except this hasn't had an impact yet. Their 2020 draft had 5 picks and 3 of those basically didn't matter. As for the pro side, Hall was a turd because I think Hall is a turd. Staal is just old but he could have been better. Not sure it really hurt us as much as having a complete luddite as coach for most of the season. 

It only is a major mistake if they do nothing to adjust. I think there are scouts they want but are currently under contract so they are biding their time. Considering how little the department is, we should be concerned. 

The notion that you can mostly eliminate the human element out of the scouting department on the prospect and pro side of the hockey business is a testament to how out of touch they were in this realm. You point out that Hall was an inadequate player for us. You don't think that the quality of scouting was a factor for the mismatch? You pointed out that the recently dispatched coach was a luddite? Who hired that articulate luddite? 

I agree with you that in the short-term not investing in a conventional scouting department won't be as damaging as it would be in the longer-term. But the fact that this crazy notion of hollowing out a scouting department was a good idea in the first place was simply kooky. Now the organization is in a situation where it has to rebuild a critical department that was deliberately gutted. When it comes to rebuilding this particular department it will be more costly than if it was simply maintained.

Over the Pegula tenure the Sabres have had one of the worst records in the NHL. It shouldn't come as a surprise. Foolishness is foolishness.   

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The notion that you can mostly eliminate the human element out of the scouting department on the prospect and pro side of the hockey business is a testament to how out of touch they were in this realm. You point out that Hall was an inadequate player for us. You don't think that the quality of scouting was a factor for the mismatch? You pointed out that the recently dispatched coach was a luddite? Who hired that articulate luddite? 

I agree with you that in the short-term not investing in a conventional scouting department won't be as damaging as it would be in the longer-term. But the fact that this crazy notion of hollowing out a scouting department was a good idea in the first place was simply kooky. Now the organization is in a situation where it has to rebuild a critical department that was deliberately gutted. When it comes to rebuilding this particular department it will be more costly than if it was simply maintained.

Over the Pegula tenure the Sabres have had one of the worst records in the NHL. It shouldn't come as a surprise. Foolishness is foolishness.   

Not scouts. The previous GM hired him while operating a giant scouting department at the time. They still managed to waste draft capital on Frolic. 

The Sabres have the worst record in the entire NHL over the Pegulas tenure, bar none. 

• Sad 1

• Brawndo changed the title to Sabres Head Coaching Search Tocchet and Boudreau to be Interviewed
2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The Pegulas do not know Karmanos very well, so this would be a good chance to change that. 

The original tweet mentioned coaching search and to discuss hockey operations. 
I imagine that will include the future of Eichel, Reinhart and Risto amongst others.

Karmanos is a big believer in analytics and essentially the Sabres Analytics Department is made of One Person presently. Perhaps a discussion about increasing the size and scope of the department is on the agenda. 

Karmanos  also alluded to bringing in more scouts and possibly expanding the Front Office. 
These are discussions that are better served in person.

The one guy who is currently running that analytic department is doing a horrible job based on their recent roster moves.  Karmanos sure has his work cut out for him. 

9 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear. My bad.

I don’t necessarily want Stanley  cup wins, though that’s a nice bonus. Just some playoff success. Like has won a few rounds etc …

My point is the same:  We don't know that Gallant or Boudreau or Torts or Brind'Amour is going to make the Sabres more effective than Granato or Grönborg.  Past success does not guarantee future performance.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Okay but who is this guy?  Just some random tweeter?

Reasonably prominent on Sabres twitter I guess. Was just pointing out the tweet looks like it’s saying more than it is - Reinhart is irrelevant to the equation based on how he wrote it up 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

My point is the same:  We don't know that Gallant or Boudreau or Torts or Brind'Amour is going to make the Sabres more effective than Granato or Grönborg.  Past success does not guarantee future performance.

Oh I know. I was just saying what kind of coach I prefer next. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/20/2021 at 6:42 AM, Buffalonill said:

Once again Terry and Kim have to have their hands in the cookie jar why can't they just write the checks.

Stay out of the hockey operation please

They own the team. Its appropriate to let them know what your intentions are with it if you're an employee of the team.

It doesn't mean they are dictating the plan? 

• Like (+1) 3

On 5/20/2021 at 9:54 AM, Thorny said:

Apparently they had a massive say on who we picked in the first round last draft, I'm not sure how common that is. You touch on the biggest thing which is who they've hired, but I think who they've hired (a lot of first timers) says a lot about the say they like to have 

Rutherford rumours don't bode well thus far, either 

I know it’s been discussed all over the board but is there some sort of credible link to this info?  Not assailing you, it just smacks of made up fan doom culture.  Hockey people barely have a clue when drafting these kids, now the Sabres owners are telling the GM which completely unfinished products they should be choosing?  Sounds like a bad movie. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

The one guy who is currently running that analytic department is doing a horrible job based on their recent roster moves.  Karmanos sure has his work cut out for him. 

Assuming anyone is listening.  I’m not sold on the Eakin and Irwin signings as anything other than Krueger appeasement.  They do need to demonstrate that they understand analytics and we need to see the amalgamation of this development.  I’m leery but hopeful with Karmanos aboard.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, #freejame said:

That’s just the kind of poster he is. For whatever reason he gets significant more leeway in personal attacks than everyone else. 

Have you had his pannies?

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Dammit.  Stop being reasonable.

This is a sports forum!

Yeah, moving the goalposts to accuse Pegula critics of hating them personally is extremely reasonable.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.