Sabres Head Coaching Search

Brawndo

15 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

They have to be, right?  They have to get someone who will make the most of the skills of the players on the roster at their level of development.  They probably have different candidates depending on what the plan is with Eichel, Reinhart, and Ristolainen.  IMHO, the fewer of these three who are here, the more likely Granato is here.

Addendum: As it is, because they have already interviewed a college coach, I think at least two of them are gone if not all three.

I would be disappointed if they pass on Granato for a college coach regardless of the player makeup.

4 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I'm still curious who the guy with the gray beard and slicked-back hair is.  Seriously.  I haven't watched much hockey in the last couple of years and I really don't know who he is.  Apparently, he's a coaching candidate that the Sabres previously passed on and is probably having success elsewhere.

Been studying for 7 years and been living in US for 20 years, has a wife from US and double citizen membership.

Rikard Gronborg is a very successful hybrid coach. He has won big scores during his career as coach and is currently in Swizterland coaching. He was on the table same time as Ralph, tobad this org went with a Ralph that hasnt won anything other than some in a worse league than ECHL in the Austrich mountains.  

We all know now what a big joke Ralph is.

At 7 mins ish u get to know a little about what type of coach Rikard Gronborg is when beeing interviewed by TSN.

Edited by MODO Hockey
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Been studying for 7 years and been living in US for 20 years, has a wife from US and double citizen membership.

Rikard Gronborg is a very successful hybrid coach. He has won big scores during his career as coach and is currently in Swizterland coaching. He was on the table same time as Ralph, tobad this org went with a Ralph that hasnt won anything other than some in a worse league than ECHL in the Austrich mountains.  

We all know now what a big joke Ralph is.

At 7 mins ish u get to know a little about what type of coach Rikard Gronborg is when beeing interviewed by TSN.

Lets honestly be real i can't see buffalo going after him beacuse of  Ralph he destroyed that .

4 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I don’t hate Terry and Kim. I just hate some of the decisions they make regarding the Buffalo Sabres franchise. 

The best one  Not sure if it's true but it seems pretty obvious them not paying the bonus to ROR to get a better return 

37 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Lets honestly be real i can't see buffalo going after him beacuse of  Ralph he destroyed that .

The best one  Not sure if it's true but it seems pretty obvious them not paying the bonus to ROR to get a better return 

Stop quoting me please or ill add u to my garbage list.

On 5/20/2021 at 6:36 PM, MODO Hockey said:

Stop quoting me please or ill add u to my garbage list.

wut.  It's customary to quote someone when replying directly to their post.  Chill, my friend.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I don’t hate Terry and Kim. I just hate some of the decisions they make regarding the Buffalo Sabres franchise. 

I don’t hate them either. I hate the fact that they have overseen the worst decade in the history of this franchise, maybe any franchise in the history of the NHL, ever. Nice job.

I guess I’m happy as long as they can keep the lifestyle they are accustom to. They obviously know stuff we don’t.

I’m ***** pissed.

• Like (+1) 1

@MODO Hockey  @Buffalonill

Its really all in the beard baby.  That’s where the Gronborg mojo is at.

For example, would you trust this guy to lead your hockey team?image.jpeg.5f7ae74624f8ded2323505768fc840fa.jpeg

No!  Obviously not!  He looks out of shape, clueless, directionless, and without answers.  As weak as Hod, blind and easily deceived.

However, what about this man?image.jpeg.1017cc24f1665d2f624e188cde08331a.jpeg

Easy yes!  Hard yes you could say!  Amiright @inkman?

This is strong determined leader with a plan and the ability to execute it.  Clearly he has all the knowledge and power of Odin, but even better because he still has two eyes!

The answer is clear.  The power is in the beard.

Gandalf, Charles Darwin, Jeremiah Johnson, Santa Clause, Karl Marx,  Grizzly Adams; all great men, all great beards.

I rest my case.

Edited by Curt
  • Haha (+1) 3

I’m sure Gronborg is a fine man and good coach. Me personally, I would like to see the next head coach should be someone with a lot of experience… In the NHL… As a head coach… With playoff success history…

some people want to roll the dice with credentials less than that… That’s great.

Me personally I don’t wanna go down that road again. There really is no wrong answer at this point.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

I would like to see the next head coach should be someone with a lot of experience… In the NHL… As a head coach… With playoff success history…

Only one man alive has coached multiple teams to Stanley Cup victories.  He had his shot with the Sabres and couldn't do it.

My point is that what a coach does with one team does not mean success with another team.  I want a coach that knows the NHL but past Cup wins it not a prerequisite.

52 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Only one man alive has coached multiple teams to Stanley Cup victories.  He had his shot with the Sabres and couldn't do it.

My point is that what a coach does with one team does not mean success with another team.  I want a coach that knows the NHL but past Cup wins it not a prerequisite.

I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear. My bad.

I don’t necessarily want Stanley  cup wins, though that’s a nice bonus. Just some playoff success. Like has won a few rounds etc …

Edited by Zamboni

16 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

What a waste of time and contributor to global warming. Should not be necessary. Zoom or phone it in — here's our man and here's why; you good?

You have not been paying attention. Pegula the Meddler is not Sasquatch. There are clear pictures.

He/they don't necessarily want puppets, but they clearly want inexperienced people running their team. Why is that? How much more do you need to see?

Unbelievable.

Notable: Ken Sawyer, gone. Ted Black, gone. Craig Patrick, gone.

The Pegulas do not know Karmanos very well, so this would be a good chance to change that. 

The original tweet mentioned coaching search and to discuss hockey operations. 
I imagine that will include the future of Eichel, Reinhart and Risto amongst others.

Karmanos is a big believer in analytics and essentially the Sabres Analytics Department is made of One Person presently. Perhaps a discussion about increasing the size and scope of the department is on the agenda. 

Karmanos  also alluded to bringing in more scouts and possibly expanding the Front Office. 
These are discussions that are better served in person.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

The Pegulas do not know Karmanos very well, so this would be a good chance to change that. 

I imagine that will include the future of Eichel, Reinhart and Risto amongst others.

Karmanos is a big believer in analytics and essentially the Sabres Analytics Department is made of One Person presently. Perhaps a discussion about increasing the size and scope of the department is on the agenda. 

Karmanos  also alluded to bringing in more scouts and possibly expanding the Front Office. 
These are discussions that are better served in person.

Whether it is pro football, basketball, baseball or hockey the evaluation of talent is at the core for any successful operation. Talent evaluation is not just about evaluating prospects but it also is a necessity for evaluating talent in the league so that smart decisions can be made when considering trades and free agent signings. The Pegulas have made a number of bad decisions that have handcuffed this franchise. One of their biggest mistakes is drastically cutting the scouting department and instead primarily relying on the tape for the sake of shaving off some expenses. When you have a nickel and dime operation in a talent based business you end up losing dollars on the saved penny. 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Other franchises are hiring PhD's in modeling and analytics while the Sabres are out here trading for Frolic's. They need to add at minimum 2 additional ppl to analytics and 3 would be a better idea. (2 for draft modeling, 2 for pro modeling). 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Whether it is pro football, basketball, baseball or hockey the evaluation of talent is at the core for any successful operation. Talent evaluation is not just about evaluating prospects but it also is a necessity for evaluating talent in the league so that smart decisions can be made when considering trades and free agent signings. The Pegulas have made a number of bad decisions that have handcuffed this franchise. One of their biggest mistakes is drastically cutting the scouting department and instead primarily relying on the tape for the sake of shaving off some expenses. When you have a nickel and dime operation in a talent based business you end up losing dollars on the saved penny. 

Except this hasn't had an impact yet. Their 2020 draft had 5 picks and 3 of those basically didn't matter. As for the pro side, Hall was a turd because I think Hall is a turd. Staal is just old but he could have been better. Not sure it really hurt us as much as having a complete luddite as coach for most of the season. 

It only is a major mistake if they do nothing to adjust. I think there are scouts they want but are currently under contract so they are biding their time. Considering how little the department is, we should be concerned. 

10 hours ago, Curt said:

@MODO Hockey  @Buffalonill

Its really all in the beard baby.  That’s where the Gronborg mojo is at.

For example, would you trust this guy to lead your hockey team?image.jpeg.5f7ae74624f8ded2323505768fc840fa.jpeg

No!  Obviously not!  He looks out of shape, clueless, directionless, and without answers.  As weak as Hod, blind and easily deceived.

However, what about this man?image.jpeg.1017cc24f1665d2f624e188cde08331a.jpeg

Easy yes!  Hard yes you could say!  Amiright @inkman?

This is strong determined leader with a plan and the ability to execute it.  Clearly he has all the knowledge and power of Odin, but even better because he still has two eyes!

The answer is clear.  The power is in the beard.

Gandalf, Charles Darwin, Jeremiah Johnson, Santa Clause, Karl Marx,  Grizzly Adams; all great men, all great beards.

I rest my case.

And all this time I thought the power was in the Fedora?  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.