Sabres Head Coaching Search

Brawndo

4 hours ago, steveoath said:

Also, wasn't it mentioned that Adams wanted to go through the process of interviews to give himself experience of interviewing headcoaches? Maybe I misremember that from one of the youtube/radio clips though. 

It’s not just the opportunity to interview head coaches but smart executives use the interview process as a way to learn from those they interview. You can use it as a tool to see what other people thinking your team and what they would do to correct things. It’s a means of self-scouting.

• Like (+1) 7

9 hours ago, SDS said:

This sounds sinister, but is it really?

If Granato was RKv2, in both style and substance, don’t you think he would be gone also? 

Can it also be said that Granatos time behind the bench and his time in front of the fan base earned him the opportunity and most just recognized it?

This is the conventional wisdom. If the Sabres want to roll the dice that the "success" wasn't fools gold, they can do so. But they should remember that Ron Rolston earned the opportunity as well. I'm in "what the hell can it hurt" mode, so I'm OK with seeing what Granato has for realz. It's still the objectively wrong decision for this franchise at this moment in its history.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This is the conventional wisdom. If the Sabres want to roll the dice that the "success" wasn't fools gold, they can do so. But they should remember that Ron Rolston earned the opportunity as well. I'm in "what the hell can it hurt" mode, so I'm OK with seeing what Granato has for realz. It's still the objectively wrong decision for this franchise at this moment in its history.

Meaning Granato?

What is the right decision for this moment?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Not sure how we know Granato is wrong or right at this point. We don't even know the starting lineup. 

13 minutes ago, tom webster said:

One other thing, if Granato did indeed meet with Adams Tuesday, and that is something no one else is saying, then he got the job. Otherwise, Granato and his agent would make sure everyone knows he is no longer in the running gor the job.

Maybe they met and had an interview on Tuesday?

I know it sounds dumb, but as someone who has had to interview for a job that I was already doing for months on an interim basis, it happens.

• Like (+1) 1

It should be Granato. The young kids responded and it is going to be a whole lot of youth over the next couple years.  If they hire Leaman then Terry made the call.  He was high up on their interest list when Botts was interviewing coaches and landed on Krueger.  Boudreau would make sense if they were a piece or two from making a run but they are headed in the opposite direction here.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SDS said:

If Granato was RKv2, in both style and substance, don’t you think he would be gone also? 

Can it also be said that Granatos time behind the bench and his time in front of the fan base earned him the opportunity and most just recognized it?

Granato was an easy (convenient) choice for Interim Head Coach.  People are, rightfully, fearful of him being chosen as the Head Coach also because it's easy.  What we need to remember is that an easy choice can also be the best choice.  It's just important that whoever is selected, easy choice or not, was chosen because they were actually (with due diligence) deemed to be the best.  Unfortunately, it can be difficult for an outside observer to determine whether or not they were in cases where the easy option is selected.  Granato's selection would come with suspicion and skepticism, fair or not.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Not sure how we know Granato is wrong or right at this point. We don't even know the starting lineup. 

Right, but not hiring an experienced NHL head coach is objectively the wrong decision — and everyone will say it if Granato is bad.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Right, but not hiring an experienced NHL head coach is objectively the wrong decision — and everyone will say it if Granato is bad.

He is an experienced coach. In fact he's more experienced than the last 2 guys maybe combined. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

He is an experienced coach. In fact he's more experienced than the last 2 guys maybe combined. 

Fun with words.

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

You mean the way it was wrong for

Minnesota

Montreal

Tampa

Carolina

………..

Were those franchises in the kind of shape Buffalo is? I'm asking, I really don't know.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Fun with words.

Were those franchises in the kind of shape Buffalo is? I'm asking, I really don't know.

Specifically nhl head coaching experience didn't help us much with Bylsma. 

Fun with words is what you live by. 

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I’m not sure how good Granato will be, but his experience level does not concern me in the slightest.

He’s been an NHL assistant for 5 years, apprenticing under Quenville, one of the best.

He coached the USNDP team for 5 years, coaching some of the best junior-age players on the planet to great success

And he’s been an AHL head coach for 7 years, including being named coach of the year.

And he started out as a head coach in the ECHL and the USHL

Krueger, at heart, is an inspirational speaker and leadership coach. Housley, at heart, is a player. Granato is a hockey coach, pure and simple. It’s all he’s really ever done and all he really wants to do.

He’s got the knowledge. We will see if he has the skills.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Fun with words.

My point being, as much as it seems logical, there is no tried and true method to hiring. There are stats for everything now, I’m sure someone can tell us if the evidence matches my anecdotal thoughts but experienced over inexperienced appears to be irrelevant to success.

13 hours ago, SDS said:

I don't dislike Granato. He wouldn't be my first choice if we were fielding a win-now team. I think he is a good choice for a rebuilding team.

No, I don't think he "earned" anything - what he accomplished was not so spectacular that it demands an opportunity at a coveted 1/32 position. That's not to say he can't be a deserving choice - I just don't think it should be mandated that he gets a shot. According to Adams, it wasn't: considering the interviews. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m not sure how good Granato will be, but his experience level does not concern me in the slightest.

He’s been an NHL assistant for 5 years, apprenticing under Quenville, one of the best.

He coached the USNDP team for 5 years, coaching some of the best junior-age players on the planet to great success

And he’s been an AHL head coach for 7 years, including being named coach of the year.

And he started out as a head coach in the ECHL and the USHL

Krueger, at heart, is an inspirational speaker and leadership coach. Housley, at heart, is a player. Granato is a hockey coach, pure and simple. It’s all he’s really ever done and all he really wants to do.

He’s got the knowledge. We will see if he has the skills.

Your build up just reminded me of this...

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/19/2021 at 1:52 PM, PASabreFan said:

Being right is what I live by.

I think you know what an experienced NHL coach is.

Well you're wrong here. 

Yes, Granato is an experienced nhl coach. 

If you mean head coach specifically, again look at how great Bylsma was when here and he had a cup ring. 

Being an nhl head coach doesn't mean you're a good nhl head coach. It also doesn't mean Granato can't be a good head coach. Considering his 30 years of coaching experience it's a lot more encouraging than Kruegers intermittent coaching hockey over 20 years. Housley had about 5 years. Bylsma had lots and he sucked. Nolan was probably the best coach since Ruff was fired. 

Point is Granato being disqualified because he hasn't been a Head coach specifically is, weird. 

On 6/19/2021 at 2:04 PM, Thorny said:

I don't dislike Granato. He wouldn't be my first choice if we were fielding a win-now team. I think he is a good choice for a rebuilding team.

No, I don't think he "earned" anything - what he accomplished was not so spectacular that it demands an opportunity at a coveted 1/32 position. That's not to say he can't be a deserving choice - I just don't think it should be mandated that he gets a shot. According to Adams, it wasn't: considering the interviews. 

Basically this. 

I have zero issue with Granato's back ground other then he worked for Rasputin.  Honestly that it a huge negative for me.  That said, I liked how the kids played for him.

I also realize we need someone willing to play kids and teach them.  Excluding guys like Skinner and KO, there are 11 guys I'm almost positive will Sabres in the fall and another 2 who could also make the squad.  Of these 13 guys most have limited NHL experience or are still very young.  They are VO (26 age - 116 NHL games), Bjork (25-153), Tage (24-145), Cozens (20-41), Asplund (23-57), Mitts (22-155), R2 (24-17), Quinn (20-0), Bryson (23-38), Dahlin (21-197), Jokiharju (22-153), Borgen (24-14) and Samuelsson (21-12).   Only 21 year old Dahlin has more then 2 full seasons of NHL experience.  Add that Risto, Jack and Sam will likely be traded for futures or young players, having a coach with development experience is probably a good thing.

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I have zero issue with Granato's back ground other then he worked for Rasputin.  Honestly that it a huge negative for me.  That said, I liked how the kids played for him.

I also realize we need someone willing to play kids and teach them.  Excluding guys like Skinner and KO, there are 11 guys I'm almost positive will Sabres in the fall and another 2 who could also make the squad.  Of these 13 guys most have limited NHL experience or are still very young.  They are VO (26 age - 116 NHL games), Bjork (25-153), Tage (24-145), Cozens (20-41), Asplund (23-57), Mitts (22-155), R2 (24-17), Quinn (20-0), Bryson (23-38), Dahlin (21-197), Jokiharju (22-153), Borgen (24-14) and Samuelsson (21-12).   Only 21 year old Dahlin has more then 2 full seasons of NHL experience.  Add that Risto, Jack and Sam will likely be traded for futures or young players, having a coach with development experience is probably a good thing.

Agreed

One note, Jack Quinn shouldn't set foot in the NHL this year. AHL for him. 

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Agreed

One note, Jack Quinn shouldn't set foot in the NHL this year. AHL for him. 

That’s the advantage Quinn has over Byfield and Drysdale, none of them are really ready for the NHL, but Quinn is the only one who can go to the AHL.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.