Sabres Head Coaching Search

Brawndo

44 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Obviously you dont even know who he is. Your comment is garbage.

Half your comments are garbage like this. I don't see why you always feel the need to post this ***** when it contributes nothing. He's under contract through 2023 and he has no NHL experience. Do you know who else did really well in tournaments?

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

No more of this garbage!

Get a coach with experience 

1 hour ago, MODO Hockey said:

Irresistible force meets immovable object.  Well done lads.

Next time we can argue about whose Dad could beat up who.

3 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Yeah hes a guy that still hasn’t made the jump and people  Were scared that he was gonna be gone 3 years ago .

It would have made sense if we picked him and not Ralph but thats over with

I think the KA trip to visit ownership may be to review the coaching search. My guess is KA has done more on this front than we know. I heard Hamilton say in his opinion the only one he'd pick over Granato would be Brindy and he's not going to be available. I'd be shocked if Granato isn't the guy. A lot of fans will not like it and a lot will support it if it happens. Much more of where we are will depend on p!ayer moves.

Edited by Radar

2 minutes ago, Radar said:

I think the KA trip to visit ownership may be to review the coaching search. My guess is KA has done more on this front than we know. I heard Hamilton say in his opinion the only one he'd pick over Granato would be Brindy and he's not going to be available. I'd be shocked if Granato isn't the guy.

It's definitely going to be Granato. With the financial concerns involved, you hit on it - they'd have to hook their absolute dream candidate to go in a different direction, imo. 

Adams, Karmanos, Granato. That's the braintrust. 

Under Terry and Kim. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Once again Terry and Kim have to have their hands in the cookie jar why can't they just write the checks.

Stay out of the hockey operation please

Seriously, don't you think all owners get briefed by their GM's? Pegulas problems have been who they've hired as GM's not in day to day meddling in hockey ops in my opinion. People on here talk like they're present in these meetings.

2 minutes ago, Radar said:

Seriously, don't you think all owners get briefed by their GM's? Pegulas problems have been who they've hired as GM's not in day to day meddling in hockey ops in my opinion. People on here talk like they're present in these meetings.

Apparently they had a massive say on who we picked in the first round last draft, I'm not sure how common that is. You touch on the biggest thing which is who they've hired, but I think who they've hired (a lot of first timers) says a lot about the say they like to have 

Rutherford rumours don't bode well thus far, either 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Apparently they had a massive say on who we picked in the first round last draft, I'm not sure how common that is. You touch on the biggest thing which is who they've hired, but I think who they've hired (a lot of first timers) says a lot about the say they like to have 

Key word "apparently". Also " massive say". All this is false? Don't know. All of this true? Also don't know. I feel like our frustration with the state of this franchise promotes these doubts but doesn't substantiate them. What I do know is ownership chooses management and they've done poorly judging by results. KA is the one "insider" of their hires. Juries out on him. I don't think there's evidence that they only want puppets under them. Nevertheless they've failed put together a secure efficient management team. That's reflected by coaching and players and the record.

6 minutes ago, Radar said:

Key word "apparently". Also " massive say". All this is false? Don't know. All of this true? Also don't know. I feel like our frustration with the state of this franchise promotes these doubts but doesn't substantiate them. What I do know is ownership chooses management and they've done poorly judging by results. KA is the one "insider" of their hires. Juries out on him. I don't think there's evidence that they only want puppets under them. Nevertheless they've failed put together a secure efficient management team. That's reflected by coaching and players and the record.

Well, I can only speak for myself but Brawndo is someone I trust for info and he had Pegula being heavily involved in the Quinn pick so that's kinda what I went with. Included "apparently" cause yes, we can't know for sure. 

As for the bold, KA is hardly the only "insider". All the heads of the scouting departments were internal promotions. Granato is going to be an internal hire. 

The doubts are a product of proven ineptitude not a misplaced byproduct of frustration. The onus is, quite squarely, on the organization at this point to prove otherwise. You know the old Bush slogan: "Fool me once...shame on...shame on...you? Point is, can't get fooled 10 times in a row"

• Like (+1) 2

I'm still curious who the guy with the gray beard and slicked-back hair is.  Seriously.  I haven't watched much hockey in the last couple of years and I really don't know who he is.  Apparently, he's a coaching candidate that the Sabres previously passed on and is probably having success elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I'm still curious who the guy with the gray beard and slicked-back hair is.  Seriously.  I haven't watched much hockey in the last couple of years and I really don't know who he is.  Apparently, he's a coaching candidate that the Sabres previously passed on and is probably having success elsewhere.

Still in the same place he was 3 years ago. 

Which is not in the NHL 

On 5/19/2021 at 1:34 PM, Brawndo said:

What a waste of time and contributor to global warming. Should not be necessary. Zoom or phone it in — here's our man and here's why; you good?

5 hours ago, Radar said:

You have not been paying attention. Pegula the Meddler is not Sasquatch. There are clear pictures.

4 hours ago, Radar said:

He/they don't necessarily want puppets, but they clearly want inexperienced people running their team. Why is that? How much more do you need to see?

Unbelievable.

Notable: Ken Sawyer, gone. Ted Black, gone. Craig Patrick, gone.

6 hours ago, Radar said:

I think the KA trip to visit ownership may be to review the coaching search. My guess is KA has done more on this front than we know. I heard Hamilton say in his opinion the only one he'd pick over Granato would be Brindy and he's not going to be available. I'd be shocked if Granato isn't the guy. A lot of fans will not like it and a lot will support it if it happens. Much more of where we are will depend on p!ayer moves.

If they are going for an in person meeting in Florida, its for a heck of a lot more than  “how is the coach search coming along”? 

IMO...the Pegula’s are involved more than any of us would care for....and chances are it will end up more bad than good. 😞

Edited by LabattBlue

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Still in the same place he was 3 years ago. 

Which is not in the NHL 

Rikard Gronborg - Swedish national coach and coach of ZSC Lions.

But he can't leave until 2022 - at least according to this article.  https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/coaches/rikard-gronborg.  If they really really wanted him I'm sure money talks like every other major sports league, but with Kruegers 2021 salary already on the books I doubt TP is buying out coaches to hire them.  

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Rikard Grönborg.  Google him.  He was a candidate for the Krueger spot.  @MODO Hockey loves him and would bear his children if he could.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Once again Terry and Kim have to have their hands in the cookie jar why can't they just write the checks.

Stay out of the hockey operation please

I get we all hate Terry and Kim, but be serious for a moment. They own the flippin' team. Why wouldn't they have the right to know what's happening with the Sabres?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

Well, I can only speak for myself but Brawndo is someone I trust for info and he had Pegula being heavily involved in the Quinn pick so that's kinda what I went with. Included "apparently" cause yes, we can't know for sure. 

As for the bold, KA is hardly the only "insider". All the heads of the scouting departments were internal promotions. Granato is going to be an internal hire. 

The doubts are a product of proven ineptitude not a misplaced byproduct of frustration. The onus is, quite squarely, on the organization at this point to prove otherwise. You know the old Bush slogan: "Fool me once...shame on...shame on...you? Point is, can't get fooled 10 times in a row"

The GM hires I was referring to by insider. Isn't it normal for the GM to oversee scouting ect.? I  believe KA is the only insider picked as GM.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

What a waste of time and contributor to global warming. Should not be necessary. Zoom or phone it in — here's our man and here's why; you good?

Maybe they just want a trip to Florida on the boss’ nickel.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I get we all hate Terry and Kim, but be serious for a moment. They own the flippin' team. Why wouldn't they have the right to know what's happening with the Sabres?

This 1000%. I'm not a supporter of the Pegulas but really!!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

If they are going for an in person meeting in Florida, its for a heck of a lot more than  “how is the coach search coming along”? 

IMO...the Pegula’s are involved more than any of us would care for....and chances are it will end up more bad than good. 😞

Yes more than the coaching search but the other possible items could bear heavily on the next coach. Frankly I think possible player moves and who the coach will be are entwined.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Radar said:

Yes more than the coaching search but the other possible items could bear heavily on the next coach. Frankly I think possible player moves and who the coach will be are entwined.

They have to be, right?  They have to get someone who will make the most of the skills of the players on the roster at their level of development.  They probably have different candidates depending on what the plan is with Eichel, Reinhart, and Ristolainen.  IMHO, the fewer of these three who are here, the more likely Granato is here.

Addendum: As it is, because they have already interviewed a college coach, I think at least two of them are gone if not all three.

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Few people will criticize the Pegulas wanting to be kept informed of what is happening within the operation. That isn't the core problem that has for a decade kept this franchise sunk at the bottom of the pond. Of course they should be kept apprised of all the personnel decisions for the simple reason that they own the team and sign the checks. But that isn't the problem. The owners make the hires and they also do the firing of the staff. How many coaches and GMs have they gone through since they bought the team? When you keep churning through coaches and GMs with different visions on how to build a team then no one should be surprised with the organizational instability and consistent losing. How do you execute a rebuilding plan when it is constantly changing? The problem starts at the top and the solution resides at the top. Or to put it simply stop doing what you have done that has left this organization in a state of chaos and act with more intelligence and patience. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

If Granato is the guy the team should just give him a two or three year deal TOPS. Allows them to spend cheaply for a few years while getting out of other contracts they’re paying for people who no longer work for them and protects them in case he can’t take that next step as a coach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.