OT: This time it might be aliens

Marvin

4 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

We understand gravitational forces, and we also understand the galaxy Andromada, our closest galactic neighbor, is on a collision course with the Milky Way, our galaxy. There ago, we understand that traveling within our own galaxy gets the survival of our species nowhere, we will have to inter-stellar travel to survive.

And while we're on this planet, bickering amongst ourselves, killing each other,, over what are trivial subject matters for the species at large, the clock keeps ticking away and these universal bodies keep marching towards one another.

What a difference it would make if humanity joined together for its own survival, but we've proven time and again we are incapable of such behavior. I do wonder, aliens studying us, if they sit around with their version of "a cold one" watching us like some Thursday prime time sitcom.

Life on Earth is something like 4 billion years old.  Multicellular life is about 1 billion years old.   Simple animals and land plants arrived about 500-600 million years ago.  2.5 million years since the arrival of the ***** (lol, H0m0 is censored) genus.  200,00 years since the appearance of modern humans.

200,000 years is 0.0000444% of 4.5 billion years.  As a species, we are something like 1/20,000th of the way to this collision of galaxies.  As long as we’ve been on the planet, we’ll need to do that length of time 20,000 more times before that collision.  There’s no way.

I’m not worried about it.  I think by then we will be a barely distinguishable blip in the fossil record.

(anyone feel free to correct my math)

Edited by Curt

21 minutes ago, Curt said:

Life on Earth is something like 4 billion years old.  Multicellular life is about 1 billion years old.   Simple animals and land plants arrived about 500-600 million years ago.  2.5 million years since the arrival of the ***** (lol, H0m0 is censored) genus.  200,00 years since the appearance of modern humans.

200,000 years is 0.0000444% of 4.5 billion years.  As a species, we are something like 1/20,000th of the way to this collision of galaxies.  As long as we’ve been on the planet, we’ll need to do that length of time 20,000 more times before that collision.  There’s no way.

I’m not worried about it.  I think by then we will be a barely distinguishable blip in the fossil record.

(anyone feel free to correct my math)

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

I don’t know what all this gobblygook is.  Jesus built America like 200 years ago.  Get your facts straight. 

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

Has everyone heard this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Wayne's_Musical_Version_of_The_War_of_the_Worlds

Highly recommended to all. 

Musical retelling of War of the Worlds

It's brilliant 

Better than expected.  Nice synthesizers and keyboards.  Of course this comes at the cost of having the refrain “the chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million to one” stuck in my head. Thanks.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Better than expected.  Nice synthesizers and keyboards.  Of course this comes at the cost of having the refrain “the chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million to one” stuck in my head. Thanks.

I went on a road trip in 2007 with a couple friends from here in Canada down through the States, and at the time we were still using burned cds for music and there was too much overlap going on. We listened to the entire album through a couple times to switch things up lol. Should have warned you about that specific bit haha super catchy 

Edited by Thorny

20 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

The average distance between two random points in our galaxy is approximately radius * 4/pi = 422,800/pi light years, not counting its thickness.  If there are 10,000 uniformly distributed, interstellar civilisations across our galaxy, that puts them about 14 light-years apart.  (And we wouldn't be one of them.)  The odds of these being aliens are almost zilch.

Aliens are not the most plausible theory by a wide, wide margin.

Those distances seem great, but if you have a Holtzman drive and an ample supply of spice, all you have to do is navigate the folds of space and you can get there in no time.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 5/18/2021 at 2:14 PM, LTS said:

We base what is possible in other potential civilizations by our own knowledge.

I would go a step further and include what is possible in general in that standard. 
 Would a civilization that has achieved the feats that we see in these videos have evolved with the same type of interface with the physical world that we possess? Things like emotion, competition, etc? Could they have taken the steps they have as a collective rather than as an individual? The concept of harming another member of the species is not even possible because the entirety of the species is necessary?

What would they think of the situation they see this planet mired in? Would they even want to interact with us? As a few of you have mentioned, the almost insurmountable space to be crossed would definitely involve traveling through time as well unless these things have been wandering from their home world for eons, just now arriving.

These craft that “splash”, how surprised would you be to learn that they have been in the deepest parts of the oceans long before mankind was here? Terran as well. We assume intelligent life would take our form and be our size. Yes. I’ve seen The Abyss. 

Then again, those objects that exhibit those rotating motions, it is exactly what I imagine a fourth spacial dimension being doing when attempting to interact with a third spacial dimension. (I imagine a fourth dimensional space viewed from my third dimension as a box that’s constantly rotating in and out of itself).

Going back to the quote, how are we to know that these are not a bunch of unrelated encounters? Can we even rule out a “divine” presence when we view some of these military videos?

We as a species like to put things into columns but what if there is an entire universe of stuff that we are missing? 

And if they are alien overlords looking to extinguish mankind then @inkmanwill have to fight me for the front of the line. I’m pretty friggin rough, bro. You might have to get sizzled by the second dose of the flesh melting laser. At least you get to watch me melt first😉

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Organic creatures need a planetary surface environment on which life could emerge and evolve. But if post-humans make the transition to fully inorganic intelligence, they won’t need an atmosphere. They may even prefer zero-gravity, especially for constructing massive artifacts. It’s in deep space that non-biological brains may develop powers that humans can’t even imagine.

There are chemical and metabolic limits to the size and processing power of organic brains. Maybe we are close to these limits already. But no such limits apply to or constrain electronic computers (still less, perhaps, quantum computers). So, by any definition of “thinking,” the amount and intensity that can be achieved by organic human-type brains will be swamped by the cerebrations of AI.

We are perhaps near the end of Darwinian evolution, but technological evolution of intelligent beings is only just beginning. It may happen fastest away from Earth—we wouldn’t expect (and certainly wouldn’t wish for) such rapid changes in humanity here on the Earth, though our survival may depend on ensuring the AI on Earth remains “benevolent.”

It is entirely likely that whatever is visiting, is inorganic, and is a technology that evolved itself from organic beings. 

• Like (+1) 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 3:25 PM, inkman said:

If there is an impending alien invasion, can they just annihilate us already.  I’m done with this life.  

On 5/17/2021 at 9:51 PM, #freejame said:

If it is confirmed aliens are scouting the earth does any sort of international action need to be taken?

Funny how these posts constitute a paradox. One just doesn't GAF, while the other appears to be snarky (if not truly serious).

Let's bring in an expert on the subject matter. After all, he appears to be related to Centaurian ambassador Londo Mollari:

Screenshot_20210621-032327_Chrome.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.