Sabres Associate GM Jason Karmanos Interview on the Sports Bar with Danger and Battaglia on Friday

Brawndo

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

Things are really reading to me that it's not Eichel who wants to be traded, it's that the Sabres FO has decided to move on from him. I really hope it's not true, but the language being used by both Adams and Karmanos sure seems to be hinting at it.

It could also be 5 dimensional chess to shape impressions.  Sure, we would like to have you back, [Jack/Sam/Risto] but we don't need you.  But if you stay, it's team first, which will lead to individual success.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

This has been my sense for a while now: they think he's the wrong personality (or at least in the wrong headspace) to be the centrepiece of their team.

We've all seen Jack have his tantrums.  We're seeing similar reactions out of Dahlin too.  IMO allowing Jack to have those tantrums and project to the kids that this behavior is tolerated is very bad.  I do think very much that Jack is in the wrong headspace to captain another batch of kids.  If they truly do want to move on with another youth movement he absolutely has to go IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I agree, it seems that Eich is disgruntled, but has not asked to be traded and seems willing to work things out going forward.

Listening between the lines of what KA and JK have said and what they have not said, I think you are right.  A big mistake, IMO.  We will not see the playoff for another 10 years, maybe.

I have become indifferent to everything about this team, from the owners, to the FO, to the coaches and the players, and have taken a wait and see approach to the off-season.  That being said, even if Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto are all dealt, the playoffs should not be more than 2 years away if you have competent people in place at all levels.  10 year drought if Eichel is traded?  That is laughable....and I know you tossed a "maybe" in at the end of your post.

I stand firm...the best thing that could happen in the off-season, is if the Pegula's sold the team.  They are an embarrassment to the NHL head honchos and their fellow owners....and any short term success they have had with the Bills means nothing when looking at what they have done to the Sabres franchise.  Fan interest is at an all-time low.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I have become indifferent to everything about this team, from the owners, to the FO, to the coaches and the players, and have taken a wait and see approach to the off-season.  That being said, even if Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto are all dealt, the playoffs should not be more than 2 years away if you have competent people in place at all levels.  10 year drought if Eichel is traded?  That is laughable....and I know you tossed a "maybe" in at the end of your post.

I stand firm...the best thing that could happen in the off-season, is if the Pegula's sold the team.  They are an embarrassment to the NHL head honchos and their fellow owners....and any short term success they have had with the Bills means nothing when looking at what they have done to the Sabres franchise.  Fan interest is at an all-time low.

Fair enough, but would you rather have that scoundrel Melnynk?  What a dooshnozzle that guy is.

Who defies stay near home orders by renting a mega yaght (I can't spell worth *****, but I'm rolling here ...) out of your 'second home' in Barbados and then complains and sews everybody in sight 'cus you and the misses gets sea sick.  Spare me that stuff ...

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Fair enough, but would you rather have that scoundrel Melnynk?  What a dooshnozzle that guy is.

Who defies stay near home orders by renting a mega yaght (I can't spell worth *****, but I'm rolling here ...) out of your 'second home' in Barbados and then complains and sews everybody in sight 'cus you and the misses gets sea sick.  Spare me that stuff ...

I guess bringing up Melnyk will always make the Pegula's seem like decent owners.  That is setting the bar pretty low.

• Like (+1) 3

16 hours ago, Brawndo said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-sports-bar/id1165450886?i=1000521772255

Mentioned they understand the playoff drought, but they have to look forward to the future.

Sounds like Rutherford will not be joining? 

Big ouch. 

3 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Omg, if they don’t bring in a competent goalie I’m taking hostages! 

"Monitor"???

How about "address" 

Yeeesh. 

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

Things are really reading to me that it's not Eichel who wants to be traded, it's that the Sabres FO has decided to move on from him. I really hope it's not true, but the language being used by both Adams and Karmanos sure seems to be hinting at it.

Yeap. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think when Karmanos was hired it signaled a full rebuild. Nothing here makes me think any different. 

I'd argue it's occam's razor here. It's not surprising to me that a GM, if allowed the ability of a longer rebuild, takes it. Have said this time and time again. I don't think it's unlikely at all Pegula gave the ok, if the plan promised to cut spending. And I mean so far it has, organizationally. 

3 hours ago, darksabre said:

I think Eichel wants out and the Sabres are sick of his sh$t. They realize it isn’t working with him and want to reshape this team even if it hurts now.

Do you keep trying to Reno the dilapidated house or do you bite the bullet, tear it down and build a new house in your vision?

I think this is where they are. They know the fans aren’t going to show up so they might as well try to rebuild it the way they think will work.  Grow the young core, get good young assets for the big guns that want out and hey if you get a Wright or Bedard along the way so be it. Adams really wants an identity for the Sabres, like the Bruins always have. 

This is where I think their headspace is right now.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Weave said:

We've all seen Jack have his tantrums.  We're seeing similar reactions out of Dahlin too.  IMO allowing Jack to have those tantrums and project to the kids that this behavior is tolerated is very bad.  I do think very much that Jack is in the wrong headspace to captain another batch of kids.  If they truly do want to move on with another youth movement he absolutely has to go IMO.

Agree with this assessment; just adding that they have to maybe pretend outwardly that they're fine with Eichel returning, so they don't get owned in a trade, again.

5 hours ago, Curt said:

Just curious, why does Karmanos=rebuild in your mind?

Wasn't that why he was fired in Pittsburgh for advocating rebuild time over one last run with Malkin and Crosby? I might have that wrong, but I thought that was the crux of it and I thus thought he was probably transferring the same type of rebuild plan to his hiring here. So trade Eichel/Reinhart instead of Crosby/Malkin but otherwise the same basic plan.  maybe I have it wrong. 

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Wasn't that why he was fired in Pittsburgh for advocating rebuild time over one last run with Malkin and Crosby? I might have that wrong, but I thought that was the crux of it and I thus thought he was probably transferring the same type of rebuild plan to his hiring here. So trade Eichel/Reinhart instead of Crosby/Malkin but otherwise the same basic plan.  maybe I have it wrong. 

Hadn’t heard that.  Could be though.

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

I'd argue it's occam's razor here. It's not surprising to me that a GM, if allowed the ability of a longer rebuild, takes it. Have said this time and time again. I don't think it's unlikely at all Pegula gave the ok, if the plan promised to cut spending. And I mean so far it has, organizationally. 

Everyone here hates Kim and Terry (and I'm not fond of them either) but to step back it's also possible they see things differently. Maybe, just maybe, they have felt that they have pampered and catered to Eichel and his whims for years and maybe when he made rumblings this past summer of being unhappy they said to themselves "Alright, I've had enough of this guy. He's unhappy? I'm paying him millions and he's won me nothing. Screw this guy. Enough with the demands. tear the whole f'n thing down and start again. Do something different this time Kevin. I'm sick of this crap." 

Just saying, it's possible. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Everyone here hates Kim and Terry (and I'm not fond of them either) but to step back it's also possible they see things differently. Maybe, just maybe, they have felt that they have pampered and catered to Eichel and his whims for years and maybe when he made rumblings this past summer of being unhappy they said to themselves "Alright, I've had enough of this guy. He's unhappy? I'm paying him millions and he's won me nothing. Screw this guy. Enough with the demands. tear the whole f'n thing down and start again. Do something different this time Kevin. I'm sick of this crap." 

I don’t hate the Pegulas.  I don’t understand them either.  I wish I knew why they do the things they do.  I think Terry learned early (although not too early) that speaking earnestly to the media will get you pilloried. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I knew it!  I knew they were meddling once again!  😈

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I wouldn't use the word hate, but I'd like to consider myself the president, or at least a member of the cabinet, of the "Please Sell The Sabres Now" club.

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It’s an interesting take. It’s been well-documented that Jack has been close to the Pegulas in the past. So, what has changed? It’s also evident that when the Pegulas are done with an employee, they don’t hesitate to remove them. Sometimes abruptly. This isn’t something that can or should be done with Jack though. Would love to know about this dynamic right now. 

John Wawrow has mentioned a few times on Twitter, that the Sabres Roster as currently constructed is the product of four different GMs without any direction. 

Adams might look at this team and think that His Best Path Forward is moving on from players who have been here for a awhile and seem to be fed up with the losing, namely Jack, Sam and Risto. 

I have zero desire to trade Jack and Sam, but if Sam doesn’t want to be here the team doesn’t really have a choice.

Jack hasn’t formally asked for a trade, but the losing, watching the Hockey Ops get nuked, watching a coach who he seemed to be close with get fired, (Ralph needed to be fired, long before it happened) and now the disagreement over The Treatment Plan for Neck might be enough. My Fear is if the Sabres do not let Him have surgery and He is still on the roster next season, and shuts Himself down after 10-15 games while allowing His NMC to kick in and asks for a trade. 

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

John Wawrow has mentioned a few times on Twitter, that the Sabres Roster as currently constructed is the product of four different GMs without any direction. 

Adams might look at this team and think that His Best Path Forward is moving on from players who have been here for a awhile and seem to be fed up with the losing, namely Jack, Sam and Risto. 

I have zero desire to trade Jack and Sam, but if Sam doesn’t want to be here the team doesn’t really have a choice.

Jack hasn’t formally asked for a trade, but the losing, watching the Hockey Ops get nuked, watching a coach who he seemed to be close with get fired, (Ralph needed to be fired, long before it happened) and now the disagreement over The Treatment Plan for Neck might be enough. My Fear is if the Sabres do not let Him have surgery and He is still on the roster next season, and shuts Himself down after 10-15 games while allowing His NMC to kick in and asks for a trade. 

aka Kawhi Leonard 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.