Sam Reinhart, team leader

LGR4GM

19 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

A desire for change is a tad different than finger pointing, wouldn't you agree?

Jack was broken all season. Trading him is a dangerous proposition especially if we base that off of injured Jack under Ralph.

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

A tradition like no other, Buffalo Fans blaming the good players for the team sucking 

I mean, how good can they be? Are we waiting for Jack to be surrounded by another Jack and two more Sams and a couple of Rasmi?

The answer's somewhere in the middle, as always.

46 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

A tradition like no other, Buffalo Fans blaming the good players for the team sucking 

Yeah, gonna be a long summer.  We're still at that point & nowhere near the point of people blaming other fans for it yet. 😉

Know that many are looking forward to this summer & the uncertainty & excitement it brings.  Me, not wishing time to fly by, but am looking forward to October & flat out dreading the summer.

Ever since the Knoxes put Muckler on a budget & got rid of most of the expensive pieces (pretty much all of them but LaFontaine & Hasek) everytime the team the team truly seems to have turned the corner or is poised to do so, there is something reminding us that NHL hockey is a business & we can not have nice things for long.  Whether it be Nolan & Muckler BOTH getting effectively punted after award winning seasons, LaFontaine getting told to retire, Zhitnik or Peca holding out for a new contract into the start of a season (or an entire season), Hasek & Peca getting converted into futures, losing Dumont & McKee as precursors to the next season's 7/1/7 massacre, preparing for "suffering," or dumping O'Reilly there is ALWAYS another shoe ready to drop.  Which is exhausting.

Now, we've seen the kids show promise & have some hope this decade long trek through the wilderness may finally be ending and rather that finding the pieces that will put the core and kids over the top, we might be watching the core of this team (Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, Ullmark. & McCabe) all gone by the next puck drop.

Truly expect the team to be better next year than they are now, regardless of how the off-season goes; but if all those guys are gone, expect the team won't be as good as it would've been swapping out only 1 or 2 of them.  (IF Adams IS the right guy, maybe that won't be the case, & the team will be optimized; but wouldn't have money on it today.  Or maybe all gets worked out & the core more or less stays intact.  Which is still possible.)

By next season, we should finally be done with the drama 1 way or another.  And THAT is something to look forward to IMHO.  (Even if the questions of what to do about Risto & Reino on the last year of their deals remain.  That won't likely feel as existential of problems as the current ones seem.)  All the back and forth of whether the core are spoiled brats or true leaders will be something to talk about, but would rather be talking about whether the Sabres could add whomever this off-season's JT Miller might be and what that'd cost.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, I-90 W said:

Nothing against Sam but I don’t see how anyone could say this team has any natural leaders at all, except maybe Cozens. Being a good player and not a head case doesn’t equate to being a good leader. 

I think you're confusing cheerleader with leader.

Players who fall down all the time (so I’ve heard), can’t win faceoffs (until he actually practiced them, then we saw a dramatic improvement), makes pouty faces (no idea what that is) and is grumpy with douchenozzle reporters can’t be good leaders.  

11 minutes ago, Curt said:

If Eichel is traded.  I don’t think that the Sabres should name a captain for the 2021-22 season.

If Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto are gone you basically have to do that, or give it to KO. But then he definitely has to be penciled into the lineup. Who else could you even give it to? 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

If Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto are gone you basically have to do that, or give it to KO. But then he definitely has to be penciled into the lineup. Who else could you even give it to? 

Some aged vet who is signed in the offseason?  Cozens because he fought two guys?  I don’t know.  Doesn’t seem to be a good candidate.

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

They do it when the team is good to. See: Tremaine Edmunds.

Not surprising, especially since the Buffalo Journalism Awards incident in 2018. I think Sam went overboard there, but, I don't know all of the details, just that kicking that Ham-Sammich out of Paul's hand, then giving him that massive wedgy was just a bit overboard................

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Thorny said:

IF he were to come back, it would become McCabe's team as a placeholder until one of the kids is ready to take on the role.

If he doesn't come back, guess the mantle goes to whomever the new Craig Rivet or Brian Gionta is.

11 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Annnnnnnd... part of the reason support for Sam might be soft is how absolutely joyless he is. Same with Jack. Risto twirled that stick that one time.

What's the quote about people forget what you said and remember how you made them feel.

These guys made a lot of fans feel empty.

You forgot, he also wore that wig that one time. 

13385811-6D71-4A05-9E89-1D2F716B2CAA.jpeg

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

If Eichel is traded.  I don’t think that the Sabres should name a captain for the 2021-22 season.

That's just BS. 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Mitts.

13 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That's just BS. 

Why do you feel that way?

Its not an unheard of thing.  Let the team grow for a year and if a player shows himself worthy of being the long term captain, give it to him next offseason.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.