Sam Reinhart, team leader

LGR4GM

If he and Granato are back and Jack is not, Sam is the captain.

Theres no question in my mind, and I don’t think there will be in the Sabres’ minds either.

Also, if Sam is back, who will concede it is because he was willing to bleed blue and gold?

10 minutes ago, Curt said:

Why do you feel that way?

Its not an unheard of thing.  Let the team grow for a year and if a player shows himself worthy of being the long term captain, give it to him next offseason.

It's like admitting that your team sucks.  We're so bad that we have no leaders.

Edited by Doohickie

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It's like admitting that your team sucks.  We're so bad that we have no leaders.

Ok, I don’t feel that way though.  There are teams every year who don’t have a captain.  Naming a captain is a long term thing.  Sometimes there just isn’t someone that you are ready to make that commitment to yet.

• Like (+1) 2

Again, I’ve spoken to players about guys on the Sabres and the impression I was given is that he’s not that great a teammate.

As for him staying, he’d only do it if he had to. And he’s only gonna sign for one year and then bolt in free agency. He’d have to play well for sure to keep his stock high, but he wouldn’t last past trade deadline. 

I was really happy with his game this year but it’s easy to pad stats when you get the most ice or a lot of ice and games mean nothing.

I say cash him and is 25 goals in while his stock his at an all time high.

Edited by rickshaw
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Again, I’ve spoken to players about guys on the Sabres and the impression I was given is that he’s not that great a teammate.

As for him staying, he’d only do it if he had to. And he’s only gonna sign for one year and then bolt in free agency. He’d have to play well for sure to keep his stock high, but he wouldn’t last past trade deadline. 

I was really happy with his game this year but it’s easy to pad stats when you get the most ice or a lot of ice and games mean nothing.

I say cash him and is 25 goals in while his stock his at an all time high.

Reinhart's season reminds me of Ennis and Girgensons in the 14-15 season. Agree - sell high when you can.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

IF he were to come back, it would become McCabe's team as a placeholder until one of the kids is ready to take on the role.

If he doesn't come back, guess the mantle goes to whomever the new Craig Rivet or Brian Gionta is.

If all these guys leave just don't put the C on anyone. I feel like teams should be willing to go without a C more often until someone really leads the group. Make someone earn it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Theres no question in my mind, and I don’t think there will be in the Sabres’ minds either.

Also, if Sam is back, who will concede it is because he was willing to bleed blue and gold?

Not if he only signs a 1 year contract. If Jake McCabe is resigned, he would be a better choice.

53 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Not if he only signs a 1 year contract. If Jake McCabe is resigned, he would be a better choice.

Even though I might do it to protect the kids, I can’t see Sam coming back on a one-year contract. The only way he gets that is arbitration and the Sabres will move him before that happens.

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Good Lord. There's the problem with investing in a bunch of garbage time games.

Sam, it's the Hall of Fame, Line 2.

• Thanks (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Taro T said:

IF he were to come back, it would become McCabe's team as a placeholder until one of the kids is ready to take on the role.

If he doesn't come back, guess the mantle goes to whomever the new Craig Rivet or Brian Gionta is.

No interest in giving it to McCabe as I don't really have interest in having him around LT

11 hours ago, Doohickie said:

That's just BS. 

Mitts.

hEll no

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

I'll concede it's because we were willing to offer him a pretty penny financially. The Reinhart as Leader thing is officially getting overblown. And I really like the player.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Sam was consistent all season not just garbage time. He also kept showing up in garbage time. 

No one said hall of fame but hyperbole is on line 3 for you. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

No interest in giving it to McCabe as I don't really have interest in having him around LT

hEll no

I'll concede it's because we were willing to offer him a pretty penny financially. The Reinhart as Leader thing is officially getting overblown. And I really like the player.

Jake McCabe is extremely good defensively. I'd bring him back for another 3 years. 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Look, I get this post and acknowledge you are probably right.

My perspective has long been that Sam is a 1st-line centre who was improperly developed by the Sabres into a 1st-line winger.

It has also long been that Sam's game has been handcuffed because he was perceived — and has perceived himself — as Jack's sidekick in the room and on the ice and that limited him from becoming the player he fully could be.

When Granato sees what I've seen, and starts using Sam the way he should be used, and we get the results we did, of course I am going to lean into my bias.

I'm going to bet on the players I believe in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sam was consistent all season not just garbage time. He also kept showing up in garbage time. 

I don't know how to work these newfangled Tele-Phones.

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My perspective has long been that Sam is a 1st-line centre who was improperly developed by the Sabres into a 1st-line winger.

It has also long been that Sam's game has been handcuffed because he was perceived — and has perceived himself — as Jack's sidekick in the room and on the ice and that limited him from becoming the player he fully could be.

When Granato sees what I've seen, and starts using Sam the way he should be used, and we get the results we did, of course I am going to lean into my bias.

This. Exactly. 

Just now, PASabreFan said:

I don't know how to work these newfangled Tele-Phones.

Just ask the operator 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Jake McCabe is extremely good defensively. I'd bring him back for another 3 years. 

As statistically this is a pretty recent development, I'm not completely sold. Even if I was, he's ridiculously injury prone. I don't think I commit to him over term, certainly not in a top 4 role where we'd be depending on him. 

23 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't think Sam was a 1C this season, do you?

Maybe on the low end?

It's such a small sample size, but it was around the beginning of April he shifted to C, right? 

In that time until the end of the season he was tied for 66th in production per game among forwards, and tied for 26th among centres. He falls out of the top 31 for even strength points per game during that time.

His two way game isn't bad but it's not a big strength. 

I'd call him a capable fill in 1C and a good 2C. 

Edited by Thorny

On 5/13/2021 at 10:15 AM, PASabreFan said:

Annnnnnnd... part of the reason support for Sam might be soft is how absolutely joyless he is. Same with Jack. Risto twirled that stick that one time.

What's the quote about people forget what you said and remember how you made them feel.

These guys made a lot of fans feel empty.

I dunno.  Jack spitting on those Leaf fans after he scored was not joyless

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.