Sam Reinhart, team leader

LGR4GM

Frank Seravelli on WGR just said the view of Sam outside of Buffalo is that he is a leader. It is believed he is well liked in the room and has gotten better every year. Also mentioned there is a big disconnect between how Sam is perceived by local media in interviews and how he truly is behind closed doors. 

Says Reinhart may see himself as part of the solution for Buffalo getting better. 

Go to WGR and at the 9:14 ish mark of howard and jeremy you can find the audio. 

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Frank Seravelli on WGR just said the view of Sam outside of Buffalo is that he is a leader. It is believed he is well liked in the room and has gotten better every year. Also mentioned there is a big disconnect between how Sam is perceived by local media in interviews and how he truly is behind closed doors.

I don't think there should be any surprise Sam is well-perceived around the league. Anyone who played the way he did in the mess that was this season has earned that.

I also believe there is a disconnect between Sam and Paul Hamilton and possibly others in the media that has coloured the public's view of him as much, if not more, than the unwashable stench of the Sabres over the past 6 years.

I've been saying it for a long time: he shows up every day, he produces, he doesn't complain, he treats his body like a pro and his teammates with respect and he keeps getting better. He grew up immersed in hockey culture and he epitomizes it. Listen to the way Donnie Granato described him on Wednesday.

Of course he has the league's respect.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Where has he led the team? Words are fun.

Based on his performance he has led this team. In an environment of turbulence he has been our most stable player. This team has many problems; he's not one of them. Without a doubt for a faltering team he is not part of the problem but rather an important factor for a solution. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Based on his performance he has led this team. In an environment of turbulence he has been our most stable player. This team has many problems; he's not one of them. Without a doubt for a faltering team he is not part of the problem but rather an important factor for a solution. 

He's been among their best players? Sure. Where has he led the team?

I understand it's not a sophisticated hockey argument. I won't blame any fan who never wants to see the three of them on a tandem bike with an extra seat again. The torture of all involved parties shouldn't continue.

• Like (+1) 1

Annnnnnnd... part of the reason support for Sam might be soft is how absolutely joyless he is. Same with Jack. Risto twirled that stick that one time.

What's the quote about people forget what you said and remember how you made them feel.

These guys made a lot of fans feel empty.

Edited by PASabreFan

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

He's been among their best players? Sure. Where has he led the team?

I understand it's not a sophisticated hockey argument. I won't blame any fan who never wants to see the three of them on a tandem bike with an extra seat again. The torture of all involved parties shouldn't continue.

If more folks on the team had Sam's character and talent, you'd have a successful team. You can't lead a bunch of predominantly low talent or undeveloped talent and some problem personalities to consistent winning. Surely you understand this . . . 

47 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't think there should be any surprise Sam is well-perceived around the league. Anyone who played the way he did in the mess that was this season has earned that.

I also believe there is a disconnect between Sam and Paul Hamilton and possibly others in the media that has coloured the public's view of him as much, if not more, than the unwashable stench of the Sabres over the past 6 years.

I've been saying it for a long time: he shows up every day, he produces, he doesn't complain, he treats his body like a pro and his teammates with respect and he keeps getting better. He grew up immersed in hockey culture and he epitomizes it. Listen to the way Donnie Granato described him on Wednesday.

I agree.  His play this season without Jack and for a team going nowhere was inspired.  I think if you ask Mitts, Thompson, Cozens and others, Sam's attitude and play on the ice was a big aid to their development and effort.  

I'm not sure how this off-season is going to play out.  Do both Sam and Jack return, do neither return, do we trade Sam and keep Jack or vice versa?  Who knows.  However a spine of Sam, Mitts and Cozens seems like a pretty good place to start. 

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Annnnnnnd... part of the reason support for Sam might be soft is how absolutely joyless he is. Same with Jack. Risto twirled that stick that one time.

What's the quote about people forget what you said and remember how you made them feel.

These guys made a lot of fans feel empty.

k

Anyways it sounds like Reinhart may have been leading the locker room with Okposo. That's good news as we need leaders on this team. 

Interestingly I just saw on twitter that Sam unfollowed the Sabres on instagram... probably because he needs a break from all of this. 

Just now, I-90 W said:

Nothing against Sam but I don’t see how anyone could say this team has any natural leaders at all, except maybe Cozens. Being a good player and not a head case doesn’t equate to being a good leader. 

Fighting a guy in a random game doesn't equate to a good leader either. I would argue Okposo is also a leader. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

k

Anyways it sounds like Reinhart may have been leading the locker room with Okposo. That's good news as we need leaders on this team. 

Interestingly I just saw on twitter that Sam unfollowed the Sabres on instagram... probably because he needs a break from all of this. 

You'd ask me for a link (teehee) if I posted that Sam unfollowed the Sabres because he wants to be traded.

Seriously, though, isn't watching hockey supposed to be fun? I keep going back to the fan poll for the Martin Award. Jack didn't place in the top 5. I realize he was hurt. But did it really only take the fanbase a few weeks to forget the guy? Why is that? How did he make us feel?

Just now, LGR4GM said:

It was a wild 10 minutes

Oh we are so going to have fun this off season LG.

Personal feelings aside, the only 1 I see gone this off season so far, Risto.

As for Jack, who knows.

But as for Reinhart, if both Jack and Risto move, a healthy contract could be presented, the question isn't do we want Sam here, the question is does Sam want to be here. We'll find out together.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

If more folks on the team had Sam's character and talent, you'd have a successful team. You can't lead a bunch of predominantly low talent or undeveloped talent and some problem personalities to consistent winning. Surely you understand this . . . 

There is more than one way to look at team dynamics. You can't have all that many high-end players. It's fair to ask the ones you have to lead the team to success. (And to be honest, success this season would have been taking a run at the playoffs.)

See also: all those Ranger teams in the 90s that tried to win with an All Star cast.

4 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Oh we are so going to have fun this off season LG.

Personal feelings aside, the only 1 I see gone this off season so far, Risto.

As for Jack, who knows.

But as for Reinhart, if both Jack and Risto move, a healthy contract could be presented, the question isn't do we want Sam here, the question is does Sam want to be here. We'll find out together.

We'll do that together too

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

There is more than one way to look at team dynamics. You can't have all that many high-end players. It's fair to ask the ones you have to lead the team to success. (And to be honest, success this season would have been taking a run at the playoffs.)

RK and goaltending was enough by itself to kill that. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Except for that one time he showed up late to practice 😄

Cozens also guilty at the WJC

57 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Where has he led the team? Words are fun.

It is interesting that it's often mentioned that losing Jack wouldn't be a big deal because we "didn't win anything with him", yet that's not a line of thinking applied to Reinhart as often, as far as I can tell. 

And before someone says "well we expect more from Jack" - yes, and Jack has delivered a lot more on ice than Reinhart has, on not just on a per game basis. 

Edited by Thorny

Is there anything wrong with saying, "Man, she's hot, but I can't deal with the drama and the neediness!"?

Anyway, it's not you, it's me.

Edited by PASabreFan
moved the question mark to correct location; this is no way to live

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.