Jack Eichel's Gambit

darksabre

28 minutes ago, SwampD said:

There is no way Eichel is getting traded. I think he finishes out his contract as a Buffalo Sabre.

I don't think it's a lock but I also think it's wild to say there's "no way" he gets traded ...

20 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Even if it’s a “crock,” the star player got to speak first, getting the media and fans in a tizzy. Everyone was listening. 

The boring GM speaks a couple days later, how many people do you think who focused on what Jack said, circled back to hear what KA said? 

Many actually.

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I don't think it's a lock but I also think it's wild to say there's "no way" he gets traded ...

The amount of drama that I have read on this board, and heard on WGR about these end of the year interviews is hilarious.

I just don't think that these guys think about this stuff as much as the fans or the media.

These guys are athletes. There's no subterfuge. They want to play. They want to get paid. They want to win.

Jack, get better, then add to the progress the young guys made at the end of the year and try to win. That's it.

• Like (+1) 1

Totally conjecture but can’t help but to wonder if the firing of RK has something to with all of this. Jack couldn’t speak more highly of him in the press conference and there was a tinge of disdain when he mentioned how RK was “fired”. 

9 hours ago, Hoss said:

I think you send him where the best deal is but if it’s in the East it has to be higher than other offers. Ideally it ends up being somewhere not-so-fun just for the hell of it.

Siberia of the KHL

• Like (+1) 1

I think Jack, Sam, and Risto are toxic. I believe losing has come to be inevitable to them. Their body language, especially Jack’s, reeks of a pouty spoiled attitude. Jack seems to be a terrible Captain, I never see him encouraging other teammates. Let’s look across town at Josh, constantly upbeat, shoulders responsibility, and encourages and uplifts teammates. I rarely see this from our Captain.  I think our true Captain is on this team even though he is a couple years away from being ready for it. Cozens has the traits  a true Captain needs. Can you take the C from Jack and give it to him. Of course not. So it time to make a decision. It sounds like the young kids want the keys to the car. From the KA presser it sounds like the kids are over Jack, Sam and Risto or at least ready for a different attitude. I say let’s move on, trade them, we don’t need that toxicity in the room with the kids that want to win. My first post, I’m sure I’ll get roasted but I’m passionate about the Sabres and I’m sick of the losing.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BUFtoNCfan said:

I think Jack, Sam, and Risto are toxic. I believe losing has come to be inevitable to them. Their body language, especially Jack’s, reeks of a pouty spoiled attitude. Jack seems to be a terrible Captain, I never see him encouraging other teammates. Let’s look across town at Josh, constantly upbeat, shoulders responsibility, and encourages and uplifts teammates. I rarely see this from our Captain.  I think our true Captain is on this team even though he is a couple years away from being ready for it. Cozens has the traits  a true Captain needs. Can you take the C from Jack and give it to him. Of course not. So it time to make a decision. It sounds like the young kids want the keys to the car. From the KA presser it sounds like the kids are over Jack, Sam and Risto or at least ready for a different attitude. I say let’s move on, trade them, we don’t need that toxicity in the room with the kids that want to win. My first post, I’m sure I’ll get roasted but I’m passionate about the Sabres and I’m sick of the losing.

Welcome.  Toxic is a very harsh word.  I don’t think Jack is a particularly good leader, but overall I just think all 3 are just very tired of the losing and are thinking about moving on.

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly if Jack wants to go and we have full control of where he goes for another year, where does he think he's going.  Toronto, NY, BOS?  LOL.  We going to send him where we get the best return.  That means someone that has young players who are former high picks.  That puts of the odds of him going to another rebuilding team such as LA, or NJ or Det or Arizona.  Sounds great.

14 hours ago, realtruelove said:

Jack Eichel reminds me in many ways to Jake Cutler.  Talented athlete in the most important position on the team.  Jack's most recent presser really wasn't much different than many of his post game speeches, uninspiring, awkward and lacking self awareness.   If I were an NHL GM, I would not trade for him.

Here's an interview with Jack Eichel after a 3-0 loss to the Bruins near the end of 2019. Sabres had lost 5 of 6.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/jack-eichel-postgame-122719/t-277437090/c-4915598

We shouldn't all forget about how much of a corner Jack turned that season, there was quite a bit of talk about how he had come a long way in dealing with these types of things. 

I suggest everyone check it out

- - - 

"We need to be able to back each other up"

"We need to cover for each other"

Edited by Thorny

10 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Jack believes his kook of a doctor just like Brady believes his kook of a trainer. It’s a rich Boston suburb thing. Wouldn’t look much further than this. 

Uhm.....Brady is a football longevity marvel. Maybe not the best comparison if this is supposed to be a shot

Thanks. Long time lurker here, just felt the need to chime in. I agree toxic might be too harsh depending on your point of view. I certainly think they are a drag on morale in the locker room. But it’s just based on circumstantial evidence.

3 hours ago, BUFtoNCfan said:

Nice. Welcome. It's possible there are no villains here. The old core might just be worn out from losing, from being disappointed in themselves for not being better, from being disappointed in management for not being better, from being disappointed in lesser teammates, from being disappointed in Buffalo's vaunted pizza.

The humanity of all this keeps coming back to me. We all need a change. It's just hockey, of course.

Are we really going to double down and again try to ride these three to a glorious playoff berth?

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Nice. Welcome. It's possible there are no villains here. The old core might just be worn out from losing, from being disappointed in themselves for not being better, from being disappointed in management for not being better, from being disappointed in lesser teammates, from being disappointed in Buffalo's vaunted pizza.

The humanity of all this keeps coming back to me. We all need a change. It's just hockey, of course.

Are we really going to double down and again try to ride these three to a glorious playoff berth?

I think it's at least possible. Definitely seriously worth considering. We've had more losing but the story of Eichel here so far isn't wholly dissimilar to the Yzerman situation in Detroit early on, which @Doohickieused to talk about a lot. Maybe Jack has just been through too much losing now, though.

Youngest captains in team history, both suffered an early injury, did enjoy this bit from Wikipedia:

"When Scotty Bowman took over as head coach in 1993, Yzerman initially chafed under Bowman's stern coaching style. Bowman, for his part, felt that Yzerman was not concentrating enough on defence; Bowman had long expected his forwards to be good back-checkers as well. Relations between the two became so strained that at one point, the Red Wings seriously considered trading him to the Ottawa Senators. However, Yzerman gradually became a better defender and is now considered one of the best two-way forwards in the history of the game."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Yzerman

- - - 

Easy as finding Bowman, I guess

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BUFtoNCfan said:

Not Samson. We are going to fight to keep him.

• Like (+1) 1

If Jack wasn’t the captain I do believe that they would be able to work through all this garbage 

should never had him go in front of the media right after having a contentious exist interview.  
 That being said , Jack should have realized the damage he was doing.   Or maybe he knew exactly what was going to happen and saw a wAy to pressure them to move him? 
either way, there is no coming back from this.  He can’t wear the c and you can’t strip him of it either.  Though that has been done before.  San Jose I think ?  So I shouldn’t say “no way” 

Edited by Crusader1969
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

If Jack wasn’t the captain I do believe that they would be able to work through all this garbage 

should never had him go in front of the media right after having a contentious exist interview.  
 That being said , Jack should have realized the damage he was doing.   Or maybe he knew exactly what was going to happen and saw a wAy to pressure them to move him? 
either way, there is no coming back from this.  He can’t wear the c and you can’t strip him of it either.  Though that has been done before.  San Jose I think ?  So I shouldn’t say “no way” 

Jack can still wear the "C" for this team. Say the next time he speaks in front of the media, he does a 180 in tone and it's all about sacrificing for the team, for example. Plenty will welcome him "back" with open arms. "What have you done for me lately." Never mind if he comes back and we make the playoffs next year and win a round - he'll be captain Jack again. 

This isn't at all to say those scenarios are likely, but it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility that he stays and continues wearing it. People aren't going to give a damn about this latest conference once we are a winning team. 

2 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

Jack doesn’t have a leg to stand on let alone a “gambit”

Presumably the gambit was his attempt to get one, in perception 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

My expectation is that half of the exit interview entailed KA trying to get Jack to deliver a positive message in his presser.  Jacks exit interview ran late.

That he didn’t deliver a positive message is a pretty solid indication to me that he intended to lay a match on the bridge.

Obviously a great deal of speculation and reading between lines here.

Edited by Weave