Jack Eichel's Gambit

darksabre

His demeanor didn’t seem like he was frustrated with the reporters or was maneuvering to get the surgery, it seemed like someone who wanted out. Ever work with someone who is about to put their two weeks in? They tend to be confident because they already have something lined up. He had that type of swagger and confidence, he was very cool and calm. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Great thread... so if you are vindictive do you send Jack to somewhere like Arizona or Calgary?

No if you deal him the only concern can be return. 

To me, I'd trade him in division if it gave us the best offer. Whatever deal benefits us the most relative to the rest of the teams at large

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

No if you deal him the only concern can be return. 

To me, I'd trade him in division if it gave us the best offer. Whatever deal benefits us the most relative to the rest of the teams at large

Yup.  Cold, hard highest bidder. 

I think Jack's move is definitely not genius, but it will be effective.  They knew the message from the team was going to be "we will move forward with the guys who want to be here".  It was an inevitable message considering ROR and then Risto over the last couple of season endings.  Jacks response to this message was simply, "I don't want to be here" and then stares at KA.  Go ahead.  I dare you.

He's very publicly forcing KAs hand.  I think it works.  And I think he knew that KA was leaning trade anyway, this just makes it all the more likely.  It was an insurance policy.

We shouldn't be afraid of losing Jack.  We weren't going to get 100% Jack anymore anyway.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think Jack's move is definitely not genius, but it will be effective.  They knew the message from the team was going to be "we will move forward with the guys who want to be here".  It was an inevitable message considering ROR and then Risto over the last couple of season endings.  Jacks response to this message was simply, "I don't want to be here" and then stares at KA.  Go ahead.  I dare you.

He's very publicly forcing KAs hand.  I think it works.  And I think he knew that KA was leaning trade anyway, this just makes it all the more likely.  It was an insurance policy.

We shouldn't be afraid of losing Jack.  We weren't going to get 100% Jack anymore anyway.

Just disappointed we already lost him, then

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

While it MIGHT have been calculated, it could also be a frustrated 24 yo having to be grilled by people he doesn't respect right after a long, disappointing/frustrating meeting with his bosses.

Remember, the conversation started out on a pretty even keel & then ~10 minutes in went kerboom.

Anybody else here glad they didn't have to speak publicly right after not seeing eye to eye with their boss for an hour or so?  Yours truly could definitely have been goaded into saying something that sounded really bad & might not even have been reflective of how things really are in such a situation.

This is poignant. I would have lit the whole damn city on fire after what I assume wasn’t a pleasant meeting for Jack.  Probably why I’m stuck in middle management at work.  I’ve literally done shots at work following meetings with some of these Jackwad bosses (settle down we make booze and part of my job is to taste it).  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, inkman said:

This is poignant. I would have lit the whole damn city on fire after what I assume wasn’t a pleasant meeting for Jack.  Probably why I’m stuck in middle management at work.  I’ve literally done shots at work following meetings with some of these Jackwad bosses (settle down we make booze and part of my job is to taste it).  

So,

You hiring?

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

So,

You hiring?

Yes. You need a Food Science Degree, 5 years quality experience in a beverage manufacturing facility, extensive knowledge of SQF & HACCP and be comfortable working in temps ranging from 55-95 degrees. Oh and that’s for $26 a hour.  When can I schedule the interview?  😀

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Yes. You need a  Degree, 5 years quality experience in a beverages, extensive knowledge and be comfortable working in temps ranging from 55-95 degrees. Oh and that’s for $26 a hour.  When can I schedule the interview?  😀

How about a compromise to the above?

Just now, inkman said:

Yes. You need a Food Science Degree, 5 years quality experience in a beverage manufacturing facility, extensive knowledge of SQF & HACCP and be comfortable working in temps ranging from 55-95 degrees. Oh and that’s for $26 a hour.  When can I schedule the interview?  😀

Well, I was going to send the wife, figured it would make for comfortable evenings after work, I think she has over 50 thousand hours in the kitchen, that should at least count towards the food degree, she kept the liquir cabinet stocked and up to date for 30 years (took the first 5 to train her, but ever since that 6th year, she's been golden), SQF and HAACP, I'll have her read it on the drive in.

So, we're good then?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Well, I was going to send the wife, figured it would make for comfortable evenings after work, I think she has over 50 thousand hours in the kitchen, that should at least count towards the food degree, she kept the liquir cabinet stocked and up to date for 30 years (took the first 5 to train her, but ever since that 6th year, she's been golden), SQF and HAACP, I'll have her read it on the drive in.

So, we're good then?

Who, on God’s green Earth, would want their wife to work for me?  😀

• Haha (+1) 2

I think Jack's "surgery" excuse is a crock. I don't think many teams would gamble with that sort of surgery on a "top star." With his end of season diatribe, Eichel put himself on a pedestal and wanted to screw the team. Get out by any means possible, Eff the truth. Jack's too good for us pleebs. I figured it was just a matter of time. Looking at his body of work, not only his point-a-game scoring, but all the time he was pouting on and off the ice, the stick smashing, all those faces, the body language, it was so obvious that he hated the Sabres organization. He might be a darn good player but now he's damaged goods, he has a bad attitude and he's still very immature. No real captain would throw his organization under the bus like he did.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Great thread... so if you are vindictive do you send Jack to somewhere like Arizona or Calgary?

I think you send him where the best deal is but if it’s in the East it has to be higher than other offers. Ideally it ends up being somewhere not-so-fun just for the hell of it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Hopefully not.

You send him to wherever you get the best return from. Out west?  In your division? Boston or Toronto? Doesn't matter...wherever you get the best return.

57 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I think you send him where the best deal is but if it’s in the East it has to be higher than other offers. Ideally it ends up being somewhere not-so-fun just for the hell of it.

Doesn't the "best deal" by definition end up "higher than other offers?" 😛

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Doesn't the "best deal" by definition end up "higher than other offers?" 😛

No, not particularly. What’s best for the team may be to send him to the West so for the “best” deal to be in the East it’d have to be higher than the others.

Edited by Hoss

1 hour ago, Kong said:

I think Jack's "surgery" excuse is a crock. I don't think many teams would gamble with that sort of surgery on a "top star." With his end of season diatribe, Eichel put himself on a pedestal and wanted to screw the team. Get out by any means possible, Eff the truth. Jack's too good for us pleebs. I figured it was just a matter of time. Looking at his body of work, not only his point-a-game scoring, but all the time he was pouting on and off the ice, the stick smashing, all those faces, the body language, it was so obvious that he hated the Sabres organization. He might be a darn good player but now he's damaged goods, he has a bad attitude and he's still very immature. No real captain would throw his organization under the bus like he did.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Even if it’s a “crock,” the star player got to speak first, getting the media and fans in a tizzy. Everyone was listening. 

The boring GM speaks a couple days later, how many people do you think who focused on what Jack said, circled back to hear what KA said? 

3 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Even if it’s a “crock,” the star player got to speak first, getting the media and fans in a tizzy. Everyone was listening. 

The boring GM speaks a couple days later, how many people do you think who focused on what Jack said, circled back to hear what KA said? 

Anyone who wants to hear the other side of the story