This franchise is teeming with top prospects of all kinds — what's the missing link?

PASabreFan

I like the kids. I like Adams. I like Granato. Some will scoff, but my posting history speaks for itself — I like a lot of what Pegula has brought and can continue to bring as an owner.

I almost feel like Jack finally popped that pimple, releasing a lot of pressure, and now healing can begin.

But what's missing? Adams needs help. The kids need help. Granato needs help. And Terry, perhaps most of all, needs help. I think Granato is smart enough to bring in experienced assistants, ideally one of which has been a head coach at the NHL level (Lindy was never smart enough, but that's another story). I think Adams is smart enough to know that the old core needs to go and some of the return needs to be the right guys for this situation, guys who can mentor the kids. I tend to doubt that Terry is self-aware enough to realize he has a problem.

The answer is obvious. Jim Rutherford as POHO. (If other impressive people are out there and available, subsitute them for Rutherford.) He'd sit squarely between TP and KA. He'd ask for ID if Terry ever tried to get in the GM's door. He'd help Kevyn build the right chemistry.

I'm reasonably excited right now. I'd be over the moon if Rutherford signed up. I also need to hear confirmation that Adams actually did go to Florida to lay down the law with the Pegs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Excellent optimism. I'm extremely impressed with this early upbeat 2021/22 season PA. I like PA. He handled the pressure of being one of the lone voices railing, and at times, nailing T-ba.....errrr.....T-Pegs. But, there is something missing. PA needs help.

I nominate LG to help PA reach his optimism pinnacle. LG, should you except, you have 4 months before the 2021/2 season kicks off, we expect to see concrete results in the PA season opener product, hell, he may even start the season opener GDT.

• Like (+1) 1

In terms we can all understand.

Mature sages to help the young guys grow up.  Tim Horton.  Roger Crozier.  Darrin Shannon.  James Patrick.

Glue guys who keep the young team functioning as a unit.  Rob Ray.  Mike Peca.  Stu Barnes.

Guys who hold others accountable and are accountable themselves.  Jim Schoenfeld.  Danny Gare.  Gil Perreault.  Mike Ramsey.  Chris Drury.  Ryan Miller.

IMHO, the torch should have been passed as follows: Thomas Vanek and Jason Pominville, Tyler Myers, Johann Larsson and Zemgus Girgensons, Ryan O'Reilly and Kyle Okposo, Jack Eichel and Linus Ullmark.

• Like (+1) 1

The missing link (if we're limiting it to just 1) has been not enough good competent guys available to keep from forcing talented kids to try to take on more responsibility than they're capable of handling at the young age.

Whether it be naming Eichel captain at ~20 yo, forcing Mittelstadt into a 2C role in his 1st full season as an NHLer, making Ristolainen the minute eating beast of the D-corps by his 3rd NHL season, or other similar attempts at fitting an oval peg into a round hole; they've all contributed to the disappointment.

And now, we MIGHT be on the verge of making Mitts & Cozens be the #1 & #2 C's on the team when they'd ideally start the year as the 3 & 4 if they are both used as C's.  Believe Adams is smart enough to not plan on doing that; but if the 3 players that are being discussed as being gone soon actually are (& if they are, why would Ullmark want back in?) then we are a 1/2C acquisition as successful as bringing in Leino, Johansson, or Staal & an injury away from making that a reality.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

• Like (+1) 2

We haven’t had a goaltender in net that gives us a consistent chance of winning since Ryan Miller. It doesn’t have to be Hasek or Luongo, but they need to be in every game before the start.

• Like (+1) 7

48 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I like the kids. I like Adams. I like Granato. Some will scoff, but my posting history speaks for itself — I like a lot of what Pegula has brought and can continue to bring as an owner.

I almost feel like Jack finally popped that pimple, releasing a lot of pressure, and now healing can begin.

But what's missing? Adams needs help. The kids need help. Granato needs help. And Terry, perhaps most of all, needs help. I think Granato is smart enough to bring in experienced assistants, ideally one of which has been a head coach at the NHL level (Lindy was never smart enough, but that's another story). I think Adams is smart enough to know that the old core needs to go and some of the return needs to be the right guys for this situation, guys who can mentor the kids. I tend to doubt that Terry is self-aware enough to realize he has a problem.

The answer is obvious. Jim Rutherford as POHO. (If other impressive people are out there and available, subsitute them for Rutherford.) He'd sit squarely between TP and KA. He'd ask for ID if Terry ever tried to get in the GM's door. He'd help Kevyn build the right chemistry.

I'm reasonably excited right now. I'd be over the moon if Rutherford signed up. I also need to hear confirmation that Adams actually did go to Florida to lay down the law with the Pegs.

Would you be Ok if Adams kept the Title of GM but acted more as a POHO, maybe be the go between Hockey Ops and the Pegulas, allowing a Team of Rutherford (Senior Advisor) and Karmonos to run Hockey Ops? 

39 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Would you be Ok if Adams kept the Title of GM but acted more as a POHO, maybe be the go between Hockey Ops and the Pegulas, allowing a Team of Rutherford (Senior Advisor) and Karmonos to run Hockey Ops? 

Let me digest that. I had a big carb load a bit ago, and it's 20 after three.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Taro got the biggest part of the problem identified correctly.

The chase to land Eichel required the team to jettison nearly every quality NHL player on the team.  Since that fateful decision this team has not had a full roster of quality NHL players.  In fact, for portions of that time we may not have had 2 lines worth of quality NHL players.  As a consequence of this the team has had to rely on a few quality players, a few kids elevated to roles they weren’t ready for, and more than a few NHL/AHL tweeners.  Its a combination that resulted in kids with too much pressure to develop quickly under very adverse conditions, complicated by the knowledge that most of the players around them weren’t qualified to even be there.

Add in team management and philosophy turmoil, substandard goaltending, and a couple of unchecked egos and the situation was a perfect storm.

we are almost at the point where we can say we are icing a full roster of actual NHL players.  Now they need the goalie, and a few cagey and successful vets to show them the sacrifice needed to win at this level.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

hell yes GIF

Edited by Thorny
i THINK that's happiness?

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

PA I can't believe my own conversion!! Once a persecutor now turned disciple and accepting the PA gospel. How amazing seeing the light.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Ice Cold said:

What I gather, from the press conference, is that the organization has had all sorts of conversations in the past, but needs to have more honest ones.

All sorts of questions have been asked from the players, coaches, and staff, but we can't be afraid of the tough ones.

Once we get those two things sorted out, you'll see this team up at the top of the standings in no time.  

Thanks a lot!  Something was driving me nuts about the press conferences going back to just before The Tank.  There was a lot of self-deception and too many rose-coloured glasses being passed around.  I am a skeptic by nature, so I knew something rubbed the the wrong way with XGMTM and something different with XGMJB.

No wonder why I am more enthused about GMKA and HCDG: they ask the right questions and seem to harbour few illusions about who and what they are.  Terry and Kim -- take notice!

20 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Are we 'teeming' with prospects more than other teams?  Other teams are way ahead of us NHL wise, it would take something special for us to pass them.

Ya, I'm not so sure we're "teeming" either. There's some promising young guys and the prospect pool does seem to have grown because of JBot but there's still a lot of question marks. 

15 hours ago, Ice Cold said:

What I gather, from the press conference, is that the organization has had all sorts of conversations in the past, but needs to have more honest ones.

All sorts of questions have been asked from the players, coaches, and staff, but we can't be afraid of the tough ones.

Once we get those two things sorted out, you'll see this team up at the top of the standings in no time.  

Right - I remember murray sitting down with Moulson and basically saying with him, at your age you need to work harder than everyone else or there isn't a place for you here.  I think Adams is more at that point after a season:  Show me that you want to be here and you're proud to be here.  Show me that you want to outwork the opponent.  Show me that you deserve to be in the NHL. 

1 minute ago, Drag0nDan said:

Right - I remember murray sitting down with Moulson and basically saying with him, at your age you need to work harder than everyone else or there isn't a place for you here.  I think Adams is more at that point after a season:  Show me that you want to be here and you're proud to be here.  Show me that you want to outwork the opponent.  Show me that you deserve to be in the NHL. 

"Show me you are better than Cody Eakin" - Adams... probably 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.