GDT: Kevyn Adams Press Conference -- The "Disconnect" Explained--11:00 am

bob_sauve28

Gotta watch the draft

7 hours ago, SwampD said:

I just don’t know if I can take another off-season where fans are clamoring to get rid of our good players.

It’s just so ***** stupid!

Yes let’s get rid of Jack and Sam, the only two guys who score on this team, for a ***** defensemen and som picks?!?

Good teams win by keeping their good players and getting more.

JFC!

I may have to tap out until preseason.

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

I just don’t know if I can take another off-season where fans are clamoring to get rid of our good players.

Yes let’s get rid of Jack and Sam, the only two guys who score on this team, for a ***** defensemen and som picks?!?

JFC!

Did you see the interviews?   How is this on the fans when none of the three (Risto, Sam, Jack) made a positive statement that they wanted to stay?  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Did you see the interviews?   His is this on the fans when none of the three (Risto, Sam, Jack) made a positive statement that they wanted to stay?  

I don’t care about this either. Are ouw feewings hurht?

Paul Hamilton really needs to stop asking this stupid ***** question!! Really Paul?! You know what answer you’re going to get. There’s no new insight or some deeper thought you are getting at! You just know it will create the drama that you feed on and get you clicks.

And ftr, Sam never said he wanted to be traded, either.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I don’t care about this either. Are ouw feewings hurht?

Paul Hamilton really needs to stop asking this stupid ***** question!! Really Paul?! You know what answer you’re going to get. There’s no new insight or some deeper thought you are getting at! You just know it will create the drama that you feed on and get you clicks.

And ftr, Sam never said he wanted to be traded, either.

Your a fan that is checking out until preseason and does not care about the draft.  Are your “feewings” hurt?  

None of them said they want out.  This is all reaction by the media and the fans.  All this stuff on sabrespace is speculation with the limited information provided by the team to the media.   

FTR, I would be willing to trade any or all three of these players if the trade improves the team.  I felt this way before the media day fiasco.   Adams is saying it - we need to improve the talent and the culture.  

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Your a fan that is checking out until preseason and does not care about the draft.  Are your “feewings” hurt?  

None of them said they want out.  This is all reaction by the media and the fans.  All this stuff on sabrespace is speculation with the limited information provided by the team to the media.   

FTR, I would be willing to trade any or all three of these players if the trade improves the team.  I felt this way before the media day fiasco.   Adams is saying it - we need to improve the talent and the culture.  

That’s the point, though. Tell me the last trade the Sabres made that shipped talent out to improve culture actually made the team better?

You improve culture by winning, not by shipping out guys that hate to lose.

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

That’s the point, though. Tell me the last trade the Sabres made that shipped talent out to improve culture actually made the team better?

Not a trade, but the Sabres let Satan walk.  SIXTEEN years ago.

JFC!

Any mention of "Wright" or "Bedard" should be filtered 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Probably the Briere for Gratton trade...like 2002-2003ish. some posters had to be in when the street lights came on and had a bedtime of 9:00 back then...🤪

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

One of my issues with Adams' conference is how little he mentioned expectations for next season, and little he mentioned the acquisition of talent. He focused mostly on "improvement" and looking for players to insulate the "blinding light", apparently, of the younger players, that had the right character. No mention of talent insulation in this area, either.  

12 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Scream it from the rooftops

7 minutes ago, SwampD said:

The trades that accomplished both?   I can go back to acquiring guys like Drury, Briere, Greer, Teppo .... 

Nothing under Murray or Bots.  Maybe acquiring ROR, but the Avs were fine with shipping him out.  

I hear a lot about hate to lose, but I don’t see it much with this group.  

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The trades that accomplished both?   I can go back to acquiring guys like Drury, Briere, Greer, Teppo .... 

Nothing under Murray or Bots.  Maybe acquiring ROR, but the Avs were fine with shipping him out.  

Don't see it very much with the management group.

Jack is single handedly keeping the hockey stick manufacturing industry afloat considering the amount of smashed sticks he's gone through 

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Jack is single handedly keeping the hockey stick manufacturing industry afloat considering the amount of smashed sticks he's gone through 

Yeah, I hate the look of a broken stick after a bad play. Leadership is channeling the anger into making something happen next time.

I am old and cheap so those $300 sticks snapping make me cringe.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Agree that the FO is the core of the problem.  

And if anger and stick smashing led to wins and leadership we would have a better team. 

JFC!

What is going to happen this offseason? I don't know. Is the offseason going to contain some catastrophic deals that set this franchise back again, and again, or will there be some judicious deals that better balances the roster and improves it? I don't know. Will Jack heal well (including his abdominal injury from the previous year) or will he be impaired and be a less dynamic and more frustrated player? I don't know. If Jack and Reinhart are kept and the goaltending is upgraded and the younger players continue with their upward trajectory is this team with some additional tweaks a playoff team next year? I think so but can't say for sure.

I understand your trepidation about the offseason and the impending transactions. Based on this befuddled franchise's history your anxiety is well grounded. However, I have a different sensation than you have. Although I am queasy about it I'm also excited about it. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Have to agree.  Actions speak louder.  Hating to lose is one part of it - the other part of it is a drive/desire to win, be great, and create that same feeling amongst your teammates.  Josh allen hates to lose too - but his desire to be great is what is infectious to his teammates.  Everyone works a little harder, they don't just want to "not lose" - they're trying to understand how and what it means to become a champion.  Sabres leaders seem to SAY the right things - I'm just not sure behind the scenes if they're actually doing any of the right things.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Thorny said:

One of my issues with Adams' conference is how little he mentioned expectations for next season, and little he mentioned the acquisition of talent. He focused mostly on "improvement" and looking for players to insulate the "blinding light", apparently, of the younger players, that had the right character. No mention of talent insulation in this area, either.  

Scream it from the rooftops

Serious question: Did Adams get any questions about his plans for improving the team this summer?

29 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Yeah, I hate the look of a broken stick after a bad play. Leadership is channeling the anger into making something happen next time.

Granato too, apparently. Did you catch that bit where he made reference to the coaching staff encouraging players to stop doing that?

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Serious question: Did Adams get any questions about his plans for improving the team this summer?

Granato too, apparently. Did you catch that bit where he made reference to the coaching staff encouraging players to stop doing that?

It's like hanging your head - to me its just a sign to the other team to step on the gas because they're already beaten.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, SwampD said:

His name is also on the Cup.

True.  And he was such an integral part of that Pens team he spent time in the minors mid-season & wasn't re-signed after that season.

His leaving Buffalo was a non-minor part of bringing that team together.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Agree that the FO is the core of the problem.  

And if anger and stick smashing led to wins and leadership we would have a better team. 

Regardless, the point I responded to was "hate to lose" specifically, and we know Jack has had that in spades

37 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not to my recollection. 

That Adams offered his vision for next year unprompted doesn't quell my fear 

I mean, I think Jack's gone and I think it's gonna be for futures - I think we are rebuilding, in all honesty

Edited by Thorny

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

True.  And he was such an integral part of that Pens team he spent time in the minors mid-season & wasn't re-signed after that season.

His leaving Buffalo was a non-minor part of bringing that team together.

I don’t disagree with the Pens’ stuff, but I think him leaving was minor.

Edited by SwampD

I still come back to the idea that Adams looks so focused on rebuilding, that, as I've mentioned before, the "disconnect" between him and Eichel is as much about differing viewpoints on what to prioritize, as it is the injury. 

As I said during the conference, Adams' whole "buy into something bigger than yourself" bit did seem to be directed at Jack, and as I said, maybe not just the surface level of "being a selfless part of the team", but the bigger idea being Adams' desire to rebuild. 

I really think Adams wants a rebuild and have been clinging to this for a while. 

If you want to win, you don't need to ask for buy-in, right? It would go without saying. "Buy in", to me, screams rebuild, not some vague concept of being a good teammate. And he mentioned a disconnect with the fans. Isn't he asking for the same buy-in, with us, too?

Follow the "blinding light" of the kids, or however he phrased it 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.