GDT: Kevyn Adams Press Conference -- The "Disconnect" Explained--11:00 am

bob_sauve28

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

He led this team out of the 18-game losing streak.

It was obvious to anyone who was watching. Even Pi.

But it wasn't an expectation.  It just happened.

There's a difference between stepping up and being expected to be the savior.

Edited by Doohickie

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I'm curious. When does a player who comes to work every single day and has earned more than his paycheque for six straight years stop being a gamble?

He led this team out of the 18-game losing streak.

It was obvious to anyone who was watching. Even Pi.

Well, that's one way of looking at it. 

Another way of looking at it is he just stepped it up because it's a contract year (like Skinner). That to me is the gamble. His comments about thinking and not being committed to the Sabres tells me he'd rather be elsewhere and if that's the attitude I think they have to go with that. His late season surge increases his trade value, so it's the perfect time to move him.

I've never felt he is the kind of guy you build a team around. His character doesn't suit any kind of leadership role, and there's nothing that's changed that for me. I think it would be healthier for the young team if him 9and others) weren't around to chat with newer players about how crap things have been. 

If Eichel is going, we need a full reset, not some partial half reset. Don't overpay another guy like we did with Skinner. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well, that's one way of looking at it. 

Another way of looking at it is he just stepped it up because it's a contract year (like Skinner). That to me is the gamble.

Don't overpay another guy like we did with Skinner. 

It was also a contract year last year, and two years before that.

I think you can apply that logic to outlier season in a contract year. One could argue Sam had his best season, but it wasn't an outlier.

And I don't think anyone is advocating paying Sam $9 million.

The going rate for a 25-goal, 60-point scorers approaching UFA? Hell yeah.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

I've been thinking about making a statement to the Pegulas, but need some help from some Sabre fan/investors.

For a mere $3,650, we can all pool our money together and hire a plane with a banner (something that might read: SELL THE TEAM) to buzz Pegula HQ in Buffalo. A great photo opportunity for both Buffalo and national media!

The $3,650 includes:

•Flight – We guarantee 3-4 loops(10-15 minutes) of onsite coverage over the location. We find that this is the perfect amount of time to take photos and really soak it all in.

•Banner – For this flight, we would use what is called a “letter banner” which is exactly what it sounds like – A massive banner with huge block letters that can be easily seen from the ground. You can customize the message up to 35 characters. •Cost – The total cost for the flight plus the banner comes out to $3,650.

I think this would rock the Pegulas' world...Get in touch with me if you want to be part of this.

Edited by Kong
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kong said:

I've been thinking about making a statement to the Pegulas, but need some help from some Sabre fan/investors.

For a mere $3,650, we can all pool our money together and hire a plane with a banner (something that might read: SELL THE TEAM) to buzz Pegula HQ in Buffalo. A great photo opportunity for both Buffalo and national media!

The $3,650 includes:

•Flight – We guarantee 3-4 loops(10-15 minutes) of onsite coverage over the location. We find that this is the perfect amount of time to take photos and really soak it all in.

•Banner – For this flight, we would use what is called a “letter banner” which is exactly what it sounds like – A massive banner with huge block letters that can be easily seen from the ground. You can customize the message up to 35 characters. •Cost – The total cost for the flight plus the banner comes out to $3,650.

I think this would rock the Pegulas' world...Get in touch with me if you want to be part of this.

Would be funny if he wasn't home at the time also, no he doesn't need to sell the team, he needs a capable president and gm.

2 hours ago, Kong said:

The $3,650 includes:

Are now, or have you ever been a pilot looking for work?  You seem to be obsessed with a banner thing.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

The going rate for a 25-goal, 60-point scorers approaching UFA? Hell yeah.

We're not going to reach an agreement on this. I'm firmly on the side that we have to cut out all of the rot for the thing to grow properly. To be clear, I'm not saying he's the cause of the rot (he might be, he might be one aspect, he might not be, that's a different, speculative and not really necessary argument) but he's been around the rot for so long it's hard to wash it off him. I really think the fastest way forward is to remove the entire old core, not just one or two pieces. It won't help if he is still besties with Jack and we trade Jack but keep him. 

We trade him for 25 goal 60 point value. 

2 hours ago, Kong said:

The $3,650 includes:

Love this idea! I am in; let me know how to reach you!

14 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

We trade him for 25 goal 60 point value. 

Not to be flip: how many players?  1-for-1, 2-for-1, add players on each side?   I don't know.

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The last sentence is fairly obnoxious, to quote nfreeman. Mike is well respected in baseball circles. Is that the problem? He doesn't adhere to some code of conduct in hockey reporting? He doesn't squeak out tame questions like Vogl and the New Vogl? Do you remember who infuriated Dom so much Dom went all Dom on his shirt collar? The esteemed Jim Kelley, who rattled many a cage in Aud/Crossroads offices. Mike's the ONLY reason we often get useful information out of players and coaches. He makes them talk. He made OSP reveal that his only direction to Darcy and Larry was that the team break even financially. I don't think it's fair to lump the two together. Mike doesn't have vendettas against players. He calls it like he sees it, the same way Friedman saw it, actually.

To Your First Sentence how so?

There is a segment of this fan base who enjoys the fact MH does not care for Reinhart and enjoys His Barbs About Him
Much in the same way that the Instigators are popular when they discuss hitting and fighting.
Both are aimed at a segment of the fan base.

Last time I checked this is a hockey board, with one active baseball thread. But good for him 

Asking direct questions is fine, but asking a player who had been out for an over two minute shift, why did you quit on the play is personal. Calling them utterly bratty is unprofessional. His comments when He appears Radio Hits are much of the same 

Jim Kelley is held in reverence at the Buffalo News, Mike Harrington is most assuredly not. 

Then there is the treatment of bloggers who have press box access. He makes it quite clear he doesn’t believe they belong there. 

• Like (+1) 4

43 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Not to be flip: how many players?  1-for-1, 2-for-1, add players on each side?   I don't know.

These questions are always hard to answer. It depends on who wants him, what they have, how much they want him. If I were Adams, I would move Eichel first. That's the biggest piece and what you get back for that influences what you are after for Sam and Risto, and who knows, maybe you have a player in the Eichel trade that someone else wants and you pull a three way like Colorado did with Duschene. 

Would I trade him for a solid starting goalie? yes. 

A solid defensive defenseman, probably, but I'd have to address center ice with the Eichel trade and maybe also the Risto trade. Maybe Risto goes for Lowry and a draft pick which helps at 2nd or more likely 3rd center temporarily. Who knows? Lots of options with lots of players in play (IF they are). 

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

Are now, or have you ever been a pilot looking for work?  You seem to be obsessed with a banner thing.

LOL. Actually, I'm afraid of pilots.

Edited by Kong
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Kong said:

The $3,650 includes:

They will probably put the team for sale before the plane lands. Brilliant idea.

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

They will probably put the team for sale before the plane lands. Brilliant idea.

Willie Mays Hayes:
Vaughn, get the stewardess. I need one of those bags.

Rick Vaughn:
There aren't any stewardesses.

Willie Mays Hayes:
I wonder if they are any pilots.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.