GDT: Kevyn Adams Press Conference -- The "Disconnect" Explained--11:00 am

bob_sauve28

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

I heard what you heard as well. To me it was simply Kevyn Adams, Stanley Cup winning NHLer and grown-ass man, making it clear that Jack Eichel, 24 year old kid, may still have some growing up to do.

Does anyone think Jack is a seasoned professional yet? A cagey vet? A mature, steadying hand on this team?

"David May, European Cup winner and multiple time Premier League champion..."

3 hours ago, SDS said:

Different sports for sure, but you can draw parallels with Sammy Watkins and Jack Eichel. 

The point is that high draft picks in the core of our team was sent off when it was determined they were not all in.

This is exactly right and in my opinion exactly what needs to happen with the Sabres.  The supposed core is rotten.  Despite unquestioned talent, and regardless of where the fault lies for where we find ourselves, Eichel and Reinhardt and Ristolainen are not going to lead this team anywhere but to further misery.  They have proven themselves to be selfish and ultimately, losers.  Time to move on.  It will be difficult, and no doubt the return will cause a lot of cats to scream around here, but there is no other way.  The assets invested in the underperforming core are sunk costs at this point.  Take what you can get and move on.

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

sam is an rfa so we retain his rights.  trade value might be a third?  

10th most goals scored, and he's restricted this coming year only.  I think the question is whether he's "all in" (keep him) or "open to anything" (trade him).  The reason for a trade isn't a problem with him as a player, it's that he wants new scenery, possibly closer to home out west.  Given that, he's potentially worth substantially more than a third if they trade him this off-season.  If they wait until the trade deadline then it will depend what he does in the coming season.

Personally I think he's a keeper, but if KA can't sign him to a long term deal this off-season it would be a good time to sell high and move on from him.  If we could trade Sam Reinhart for a younger version of Sam Reinhart (i.e., trade to a team with a bright prospect because they need a mature top sixer for the coming year), it could turn into a win-win for the teams involved.

1 hour ago, I-90 W said:

Yes, buzz word. Very fair considering how many times he said it. As far as him not trading Jack, it’s not very “logical” for you to think Jack is t going to be moved. Pretty much the entire league thinks the same judging by virtually everyone’s reaction that we have seen in the media. 

Read what you cited again, and slowly. My gripe is that they didn’t ask him the question, let him dodge it all he wants but it should be asked. 

Sorry. I didn't say he wasn't going to be traded but I think you're  more than happy to find criticism and this is all you can come up with. And I'm saying he already answered one of them and the other two are baiting type questions that so endear the media with players and teams. You're not going to say publicly we're trading so and so and hears what we want.

Edited by Radar

7 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Adams seems to of done well today 

agree...there is nothing saying that Jack will be traded 100%...he is walking a fine line by trying to remain neutral as yes he may end up trading him but he may also  end up keeping him and may even resign Samson to a proper contract (like 5 years). I really do not know how Jack could not look at the team towards the end of this past season and see potential (and they were playing a style very-much suited to Jack's game). I am just not convinced KA is going to run out and trade him tomorrow. Of course he may but then again anybody can be traded...right Wayne? But if it makes no sense as in not a favourable return then so be it. Jack is under contract and has nothing to do but honor that if the team wishes to keep him. I still think that this team as they played at the end under DG with a healthy Jack & Jake and Linus (or two NHL goalies) with some tweaking (like losing  the obvious players and adding some toughness and maybe a free-agent winger  and keep playing the way they did under DG and the team will be entertaining (most important) and fun to watch. That works for me as this really is all about entertainment. I use to drive my son and I for over 4 hours from north Ontario to Buffalo to see the team play when they were entertaining. Win or lose they were great to watch. They played with heart and gave their all.  They need to return to being that, with or without Jack (and Sam and/or Risto if need be)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I think we all knee-jerked that based on the exit interviews every player who can get out wants out.  We look back at the ROR "lost my love" remark and figure every player who grumbles about a frustrating season is trade bait.  I can see trading any combination of Jack, Sam and Risto, including the null set (none of them gets traded).  I think this is where Karmanos will be an asset:  He can objectively look at the situation as an outsider and make a dispassionate recommendation.  He can evaluate whether offers other teams make are worth accepting.

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think we all knee-jerked that based on the exit interviews every player who can get out wants out.  We look back at the ROR "lost my love" remark and figure every player who grumbles about a frustrating season is trade bait.  I can see trading any combination of Jack, Sam and Risto, including the null set (none of them gets traded).  I think this is where Karmanos will be an asset:  He can objectively look at the situation as an outsider and make a dispassionate recommendation.  He can evaluate whether offers other teams make are worth accepting.

I should mention that I heard that ROR was on the trade block at the TDL before he was traded in the off-season and that teams were offering their #1, a prospect, and a cap dump before the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Exactly. Reinhart has never liked doing media scrums. So there’s that. Add to that that the lame questions Hamilton and, “oh I have a journalism degree” Harrington. It’s no wonder players like Reinhart and even Ullmark come off as annoyed with doing interviews. I know I would be. Nothing “dick” about it. Some are just sensitive to see what they are looking for. Par for the course. Human nature I guess.

Harrington referred to Him as Utterly Bratty in His Article on Monday. 

It’s utterly amazing that He and Hamilton have jobs and Joe Yerdon does not 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

a 3rd what? If you mean a 3rd round pick you are out of your mind. He's a top line RW 2nd line center and 55pt player and 25goal scorer.

I’m thinking the Mantha Return 

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

not that young

How Old is that in American Years after the exchange rate.😉

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I should mention that I heard that ROR was on the trade block at the TDL before he was traded in the off-season and that teams were offering their #1, a prospect, and a cap dump before the draft.

While losing Ryan was a big lose for this rebuilding team at the time, I have the same sense that losing Jack won't be such a big impact. I guess as fans, some of us, maybe even over half of the fan base, have become so numb to the talent and skills these players bring considering the last decade of hockey in Buffalo. Winning changes that I suppose.

21 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

While losing Ryan was a big lose for this rebuilding team at the time, I have the same sense that losing Jack won't be such a big impact. I guess as fans, some of us, maybe even over half of the fan base, have become so numb to the talent and skills these players bring considering the last decade of hockey in Buffalo. Winning changes that I suppose.

I think those that are in favor of trading Eichel have no idea how big of an impact it will have.  He will put up 100 point seasons wherever he goes, we don't have a 100 point scorer and will be looking to Mitts, Cozens to be our big scorers. They certainly showed some stuff at the end, but are we ready to have them lead us to the playoffs? It will be a disaster if we trade Eichel. Who will want to play here that doesn't have to play here. The see an organization trade a guy that wins the Conn Smyth and the Eichel... hard enough to get people to Buffalo, nobody wants to go to a crappy organization in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

I don't think teams are willing to part with players they deem future superstars.  You might have a shot at kaako?  but i think Chytil or Miller plus strome.  I'd try and pry georgiev too if I'm working with the rangers.  Then tack on some picks.

Well, if they're trading for a legit superstar you're going to have to give up something of equal or greater value in return for us to make the trade. Every team in this league should be lining up for Jack Eichel, and with no NMC this year you can create a bidding war. If Eichel is traded, the return better make me think, "huh, I hate losing Eichel as he's clearly the best player in the deal but the return of X player is exciting and paired with Y Z and AA we may actually be able to make the ***** playoffs".

I fully expect this to be bungled but I have hope that maybe we can finally get something right. If Chytil or Miller & Strome is the replacement for Eichel I will literally kill myself*.

*won't actually do this.

Edited by Mustache of God

3 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

I think those that are in favor of trading Eichel have no idea how big of an impact it will have.  He will put up 100 point seasons wherever he goes, we don't have a 100 point scorer and will be looking to Mitts, Cozens to be our big scorers. They certainly showed some stuff at the end, but are we ready to have them lead us to the playoffs? It will be a disaster if we trade Eichel. Who will want to play here that doesn't have to play here. The see an organization trade a guy that wins the Conn Smyth and the Eichel... hard enough to get people to Buffalo, nobody wants to go to a crappy organization in Buffalo.

But to be completely objective on Eichel, he never put up 100 points here and he wasn't an impact at all for the teams ability to move towards competitive hockey for a run at the playoffs in any event. I weigh both the pros and cons of trading him, and as of right now, today, I see no immediate concerns on the cons of trading him. He wasn't a difference maker here, we can be no worse off than we are now. But I also understand the natural reflex to look at his talents and say, hey, that guy can be one of the main factors to turning this around. The fact is, he hasn't been for 6 years now, I don't see it changing significant enough to change my mind either.

I'm in the trade him camp, same with Sam and Risto. It didn't work with these guys, and whether it's agreed or not, Stanley Cup winning Kyven Adams is correct, players need to want to be here. Granato has the kids playing hungry, I haven't seen that very often, or at least with any consistency from Jack, Sam or Risto to be honest, and we have hundreds of losses in those 6 years as solid evidence backing that.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like (+1) 2

Just listened to Adams presser.  Some take always:

-First, I drink the Cool Aid about all the team first concept stuff.  Searching for players who want to be here and want to be part of something greater than themselves.  If players are not all in, they are not going to be able to put all of themselves into turning around a struggling team.

-The stuff about connection with the city was maybe a little much, but I think we do know that Buffalo truly is one of the best hockey markets in the world and I don’t think many fans feel an emotional connection to hardly any of the current players.

-Stuff about Pegulas came off as a little butt kissy.

-Didn’t Adams say that Eichel wants surgery against the advice of not just Sabres doctors but also the 2nd opinion doctor who he went to?  It sounds to me like Jack has had his mind made up and just doesn’t like to be told no.  

-Also, I’d like to note that rehab should not necessarily be viewed as a quick fix way to get a player back on the ice, even though it’s not in the players long term best interest.  I’ve seen some comments here suggesting that is the case.  Recovery from surgery can often be faster than rest/physical therapy/rehab.  However, once you start slicing/drilling/screwing/hammering into stuff, it’s not always great long term.  If anything, it sounds to like Jack is the one who wanted to take the quick way back.  Spinal surgery is generally a very last resort after other avenues are pursued.  Anyone with a medical degree feel free to correct me.

That part about "playing for something bigger than yourself" is interesting.  Whether it was or not, it feels directed at Jack.  I wouldn't be surprised if Risto might have been a target.  Skinner HAD to be a target there as well.

I'm not sure we lose Sam this offseason, but I am fairly sure Jack and Risto are gone.  And Skinner would be if a sucker could be found.

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

But to be completely objective on Eichel, he never put up 100 points here and he wasn't an impact at all for the teams ability to move towards competitive hockey for a run at the playoffs in any event. I weigh both the pros and cons of trading him, and as of right now, today, I see no immediate concerns on the cons of trading him. He wasn't a difference maker here, we can be no worse off than we are now. But I also understand the natural reflex to look at his talents and say, hey, that guy can be one of the main factors to turning this around. The fact is, he hasn't been for 6 years now, I don't see it changing significant enough to change my mind either.

I'm in the trade him camp, same with Sam and Risto. It didn't work with these guys, and whether it's agreed or not, Stanley Cup winning Kyven Adams is correct, players need to want to be here. Granato has the kids playing hungry, I haven't seen that very often, or at least with any consistency from Jack, Sam or Risto to be honest, and we have hundreds of losses in those 6 years as solid evidence backing that.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't really see the logic in the bold. This would imply that the chances of us being able to add to this Jack Eichel-led roster and field a playoff team are nil. Isn't it hypothetically possible that a few additions, rather than such a big subtraction, could yield a playoff team? "No worse off" implies we don't have anything to make up once we lose him. How about a 1C? Are we comfortable saying we've sufficiently filled the talent quota of the roster so as to be sure we can't make up the ground in other ways? We never even really played Jack with centres behind him this year aside from Staal. Can we be sure Eichel doesn't represent a sizeable piece of the puzzle in the quest for competitiveness, just not enough to have gotten us there, when combined with the rest of the roster? 

I don't think we can say to a certainty that we can be "no worse off" without him. You could literally apply the exact logic to ROR. 

24 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Healthy Eichel is vastly different than injured Eichel. I think fans don’t understand the potential ramifications of his neck. If he’s looking for ADR surgery - it’s bad. 

I never wanted to trade him before I knew more about the injury. Now I think it should be someone else’s risk. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I don't really see the logic in the bold. This would imply that the chances of us being able to add to this Jack Eichel-led roster and field a playoff team are nil. Isn't it hypothetically possible that a few additions, rather than such a big subtraction, could yield a playoff team? "No worse off" implies we don't have anything to make up once we lose him. How about a 1C? Are we comfortable saying we've sufficiently filled the talent quota of the roster so as to be sure we can't make up the ground in other ways? We never even really played Jack with centres behind him this year aside from Staal. Can we be sure Eichel doesn't represent a sizeable piece of the puzzle in the quest for competitiveness, just not enough to have gotten us there, when combined with the rest of the roster? 

I don't think we can say to a certainty that we can be "no worse off" without him. You could literally apply the exact logic to ROR. 

I'm leaning towards Eichel has some infectious intangible that is holding things back to some degree.  Is it a certainty that moving him improves things?  Hell no.  But I also think it isn't a certainty that moving him makes things worse.

I've got more interest in what/how this is all going down than I have had in the last several seasons of actual hockey.

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

Healthy Eichel is vastly different than injured Eichel. I think fans don’t understand the potential ramifications of his neck. If he’s looking for ADR surgery - it’s bad. 

I never wanted to trade him before I knew more about the injury. Now I think it should be someone else’s risk. 

100% agreed.  I think Jack may be unwittingly doing us a favor.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

I'm leaning towards Eichel has some infectious intangible that is holding things back to some degree.  Is it a certainty that moving him improves things?  Hell no.  But I also think it isn't a certainty that moving him makes things worse.

I've got more interest in what/how this is all going down than I have had in the last several seasons of actual hockey.

Agree with the bold

As for the last bit, it's all we have

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

It is a very logical statement, since factually, he has not had an impact on moving the team in a competitive direction.

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

It is a very logical statement, since factually, he has not had an impact on moving the team in a competitive direction.

So a boat without a motor is no closer to a sailing the seas than nothing?

After all, it hasn't gone anywhere

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.