GDT: Kevyn Adams Press Conference -- The "Disconnect" Explained--11:00 am

bob_sauve28

Just now, Thorny said:

I have no problem with that particular comment, sans context, fwiw

It could be referring to heart, a mentality.

But "bigger" could refer to the endgame, easily mean/require a more lengthy pursuit, and that's specifically relevant when compared and contrasted to what we surely know Jack wants, which is to win now. 

Isn't the long-game the biggest of ideas?

He talked at length about the value of the team to the community, about how it's important to have players who take their roles as representatives of the city seriously. I think the implication is that hockey requires more than just hitting the weights hard.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That's fine. 

For me, hearing him sell the future "the young players are a light" "the young players have me excited" immediately before saying, when talking about what they need to do next year, "show improvement", after saying LAST year was taking a run at it, was very, very

VERY

Concerning. 

The juxtaposition was that "going for it" failed and that going forward was literally, as stated, was next year about, "but, we need to show improvement". 

That's a rebuild. 

Concerning?  No.  Realistic?  Yes.  Stop sugar coating it.

Adams mentioned a disconnect with the fans. 

When was the last time the franchise was on the same page with the fans? When we were losing on purpose and thinking about the long-term?

That's interesting. 

Just now, Doohickie said:

Concerning?  No.  Realistic?  Yes.  Stop sugar coating it.

I do not buy that the only realistic hope for next year is "improvement"

Adams should have come out and said we are going to make the playoffs next year.

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Adams mentioned a disconnect with the fans. 

When was the last time the franchise was on the same page with the fans? When we were losing on purpose and thinking about the long-term?

That's interesting. 

That’s a trap. Opinions are and always will be all over the place. No one person speaks for the fans.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

He talked at length about the value of the team to the community, about how it's important to have players who take their roles as representatives of the city seriously. I think the implication is that hockey requires more than just hitting the weights hard.

That was definitely a big part of it. 

But I dunno man I heard a fair few thinly veiled shots at Jack. I'm not saying that's what this was, but it could quite easily apply to that specifically, Jack being unwilling to "buy in" the the "bigger" idea of taking steps back to move forward

But I dunno man I heard a fair few thinly veiled shots at Jack. I'm not saying that's what this was, but it could quite easily apply to that specifically, Jack being unwilling to "buy in" the the "bigger" idea of taking steps back to move forward

It doesn’t have to be a shot at Jack. It could be that he just may fit the description. 

25 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Nope, there were so many missed opportunities that could and should have been asked. Personally I wish someone would have asked how much control as GM he really has. 

He was asked this in the presser he called a couple of weeks before firing RK.

• Thanks (+1) 3

1 minute ago, SDS said:

That’s a trap. Opinions are and always will be all over the place. No one person speaks for the fans.

Fair. 

I'll ask you, though, which of the last 8 or so seasons do you think the fanbase was the most satisfied after, if you had to guess?

I'd bet it's the one we set out to tank, and completed the last place finish so many wanted. At least we know SOME people wanted that. And, a lot of them.

Was ANYONE happy after any of the others?

1 minute ago, SDS said:

It doesn’t have to be a shot at Jack. It could be that he just may fit the description. 

I did literally say "I'm not saying that's what this was" in the post you quoted.

I am speculating and made that clear. 

Fair. 

I'll ask you, though, which of the last 8 or so seasons do you think the fanbase was the most satisfied after, if you had to guess?

I'd bet it's the one we set out to tank, and completed the last place finish so many wanted. At least we know SOME people wanted that. And, a lot of them.

Was ANYONE happy after any of the others?

If I can be cynical… after decades of professionally watching fan bases - the fans are never happy in the moment. They can become happy a decade or two after the moment has passed. Only a Stanley cup makes people happy in the moment. 

but yes, I would agree that more people were satisfied at the prospect of a world class player finally taking the ice for the team was a hopeful spot to cling to. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I heard what you heard as well. To me it was simply Kevyn Adams, Stanley Cup winning NHLer and grown-ass man, making it clear that Jack Eichel, 24 year old kid, may still have some growing up to do.

Does anyone think Jack is a seasoned professional yet? A cagey vet? A mature, steadying hand on this team?

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

You know who showed development over the course of the season... Sam Reinhart. 

Because, Reinhart IS fine. 

And absolutely impeccable timing. His value for trade is extremely high this off season. Given his lackluster enthusiasm for remaining in Buffalo, it is time........

sell.gif

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

If I can be cynical… after decades of professionally watching fan bases - the fans are never happy in the moment. They can become happy a decade or two after the moment has passed. Only a Stanley cup makes people happy in the moment. 

but yes, I would agree that more people were satisfied at the prospect of a world class player finally taking the ice for the team was a hopeful spot to cling to. 

Such is why making your ultimate pursuit the Stanley Cup is illogical and folly. It's too hard to win. 1 in 32, any given year? If you need a Stanley Cup to make all of this worth it, you picked the wrong hobby. 

The goal should be having fun watching your favourite team with your friends and family. I love this place and the people here but I'd have a lot more fun if we were just winning hockey games and pretending, once we made the playoffs, while watching playoffs, that we were gonna win it all. 

If a cup happens, awesome. But I don't need it to. I just need a winning hockey team. Half the teams make the playoffs. Give me that. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

Such is why making your ultimate pursuit the Stanley Cup is illogical and folly. It's too hard to win. 1 in 32, any given year? If you need a Stanley Cup to make all of this worth it, you picked the wrong hobby. 

The goal should be having fun watching your favourite team with your friends and family. I love this place and the people here but I'd have a lot more fun if we were just winning hockey games and pretending, once we made the playoffs, while watching playoffs, that we were gonna win it all. 

If it happens, awesome. But I don't need it to. 

I have written the same exact sentiments many times in my life.

• Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Eichel, Reinhart and Risto are gone for young guns and draft picks.

That's what that tells me.

Given the state of the team the past X years, would this be such a bad thing? The Eichel return SHOULD be massive, I wouldn't accept anything less than Lafrieniere + picks or another prospect/s. My biggest fear is another ROR debacle. 

You'd be able to get a very good player in return for Sam Reinhart.

You'd hopefully be able to get something of value back for RIsto.

I think a good GM could trade these 3 and be able to put a good team together with the return.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

I have written the same exact sentiments many times in my life.

You are much, much older than me, so forgive me for taking a little while to get there.

Much older than me. 

Edited by Thorny
much
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

And absolutely impeccable timing. His value for trade is extremely high this off season. Given his lackluster enthusiasm for remaining in Buffalo, it is time........

sell.gif

Since I built the Reinhart bandwagon with my own hands, it seems fitting I drive it off the cliff into a volcano. 

Sam did maximize his value, he shot 5.6% above his average meaning he should have about 18 goals not 25. Something to keep in mind as we move forward. 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Given the state of the team the past X years, would this be such a bad thing? The Eichel return SHOULD be massive, I wouldn't accept anything less than Lafrieniere + picks or another prospect/s. My biggest fear is another ROR debacle. 

I think a good GM could trade these 3 and be able to put a good team together with the return.

I agree with all. I've said repeatedly I have 0 issues with moving on. It's not working.

When combined with the high draft pick this year, Cozens, Mitts, Dahlin, Joker, Borgen, Tage and a couple others, these trades could not only catapult the franchise to potential competitiveness, but do so for a strong dozen years or so.

Edited by Scottysabres

10 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I don't think teams are willing to part with players they deem future superstars.  You might have a shot at kaako?  but i think Chytil or Miller plus strome.  I'd try and pry georgiev too if I'm working with the rangers.  Then tack on some picks.

I think KA will be very happy to unload 23 and 55 for sure. 23 was 10th in nhl in goals, perfect time to move him. 55 is overrated and always has been. 9? Not sure he wants to move him but it’s likely he moves all three.

And if I’m a betting man and you asked him who the top 3 cancers are in the room, 9,23 and 55 are probably his answer.

Nobody can tell me 23 is someone who looks or seems to act like a leader. 
This team has to look to the new leaders and one day Cozens will captain this team and lead properly.

Gonna be interesting summer.

And side note. Jack wants out and is using the medical side as his crutch. Surgery sucks so getting mad at a team for not wanting to do a surgery that’s never been done on a NHL player is absolutely ridiculous and makes no sense.

• Like (+1) 4

I never take these pressers too seriously as they all lie and avoid real answers (usually). 

One can perhaps read into it and think they plan to TRY to find a coach but if they can't find the one they like they will keep Granato and then keep spinning the idea he was a prime candidate all along. He's the fallback plan in other words. 

I like the idea that if you're not expressing an interest in buying in you will be moved out. I would hope that's really true and they should trade everyone who is not all in completely. 

That means Eichel and Risto for sure but I'd also say Reinhart as he's at max value. Sell high for once. Don't gamble on him. If you're going to surgically cut things out, cut it ALL out . 

Anyway, words. See what he actually does.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If you want me to guess and read between lines... 

Jack Eichel is getting traded along with Ristolainen. 

Reinhart is getting brought back. 

They are doing a mini-rebuild as oppose to a tear down where they will just keep drafting and putting the kids in situations and what happens happens. 

If we get the right return, I'm perfectly fine with that. 

If they give the C to Reino though, I'm going to burn my computer.  I'll provide a link.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.