GDT: Kevyn Adams Press Conference -- The "Disconnect" Explained--11:00 am

bob_sauve28

Just now, WildCard said:

Which would be beyond depressing 

I would normally agree, except.............

We have a secret weapon, he is "The One"............

Donny Meatballs!!!

R8369e204b8672ed4d0c7b71ac045b9b5.thumb.jpg.f760e6a8f3397e1829b4f0b57398d167.jpg

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Also rather telling was that, when mentioning "insulation" for the kids here, he spoke specifically about "Character" and not talent

I can see some solid additions this off season.

37 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Really disappointed with that press conference, the Buffalo sports media leaves much to be desired. They should have forced him to answer more pointed questions. A few things...

1 For a guy whose buzz words are honest conversations, he was quick to call an honest question a trap.

2 Wish someone would have asked how much control he truly has of the team (granted this would take some nerve and result in fallout).

3 Wish someone would have asked what type of trade assets he would want, should he wind up moving Jack.

Your expectations vs reality are extremely far apart 

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Can people please stop using the "two wrongs make a right" defense?

I do not care if others were also wrong. It doesn't make the move more right. 

Me being dead wrong about Botterill's bridge to Reinhart at the time, as Ducky pointed out, does not make Botterill's decision more right. It just means I was also wrong

It isn't two wrongs make a right. It's if everyone is wrong then no-one would have made a different decision. Yakupov was rated as first overall by basically everyone in 2013 (or whenever it was). If Edmonton didn't draft first, Yakupov still (likely) goes first overall.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Trettioåtta said:

It isn't two wrongs make a right. It's if everyone is wrong then no-one would have made a different decision. Yakupov was rated as first overall by basically everyone in 2013 (or whenever it was). If Edmonton didn't draft first, Yakupov still (likely) goes first overall.

Link?

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

link?

To be clear, the request wasn't serious. I would hope everyone knows who the target of the joke was.

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

"It's about competing for Stanley Cups" - Adams

Oh please, please just make it about making the playoffs. 

We've allowed the pursuit of good to be the enemy of the pursuit of great for far, far too long.

Agreed. It has to be about winning at all costs from Day One. Create the template for the future. I was heartened to actually hear Don mention the W word a few times after he took over.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, inkman said:

Your expectations vs reality are extremely far apart 

Not just that - but how would those answers have helped?

What he wants back very much depends on which team they are dealing with - a young player, a good prospect and a first can mean wildly different things based on which team is giving them up.

Also why would he answer Pegula-related questions? People are mad if they think KA will throw his boss under the bus. What is the hope? That he gets free wings at the bar whilst he watches the new manager lead the Sabres?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, PASabreFan said:

To be clear, the request wasn't serious. I would hope everyone knows who the target of the joke was.

Agreed. It has to be about winning at all costs from Day One. Create the template for the future. I was heartened to actually hear Don mention the W word a few times after he took over.

When you are a last place team and say "stanley cup" multiple times in your interview and "playoffs" very little (if at all?), what I hear is "Timeline".

After all, if we want to aim really high, it's going to be a much longer road. Gotta do things the right way. Barf.

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Sounds like a veiled shot at Eichel, Reino and Risto as did many of his comments during the press conference. 

It further strengthens my theory that there is a locker room/ culture problem. If he truly believes this it is his job to get rid of players who don’t want to be here. And he should know from his honest conversations who is who. Get rid of the skilled malcontents, and get skilled fresh players back for them. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That's fine. 

For me, hearing him sell the future "the young players are a light" "the young players have me excited" immediately before saying, when talking about what they need to do next year, "show improvement", after saying LAST year was taking a run at it, was very, very

VERY

Concerning. 

The juxtaposition was that "going for it" failed and that going forward was literally, as stated, was next year about, "but, we need to show improvement". 

That's a rebuild. 

Isn't that just salesmanship? Preparing the fans for the fact our "stars" might be moved out and giving them a reason to still be hopeful?

He can't very well say we are going to trade Risto and Sam for better players not knowing if that's coming.

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I also thought it was a thinly veiled shot at Jack. "Why was he saying anything at this point? Shouldn't we still be waiting? Maybe that guy had another motive in speaking up when he did? Timeframe wasn't up, after all"

Very perceptive. It was about as pointed as he could allow himself to be under the circumstances and feeds my growing suspicion that Kevyn is not a believer in Jack as a franchise cornerstone.

Just now, Brawndo said:

These feeds into my previous comment. We all want our GM to diagnose the problem with the franchise and fix it.

He spelled it out right there what he thinks it is. I expect his moves going forward to reflect that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I love how Adams is getting crucified for this even though fans have been complaining about this team's lack of heart since Roy, Afinogenov and Vanek were here. 

I have no problem with that particular comment, sans context, fwiw

It could be referring to heart, a mentality.

But "bigger" could refer to the endgame, easily mean/require a more lengthy pursuit, and that's specifically relevant when compared and contrasted to what we surely know Jack wants, which is to win now. 

Isn't the long-game the biggest of ideas?

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You have to acknowledge what an amazing turnaround we saw that last month or so. The Sabres went from a team that was ready to give up to one that fought back to win games multiple times. And done with a roster half made up of AHL players. It's not lost on me the kids outplayed Hall and Staal while they were here.

Sure.  But the bar was set realllllllllly low here.  

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Isn't that just salesmanship? Preparing the fans for the fact our "stars" might be moved out and giving them a reason to still be hopeful?

He can't very well say we are going to trade Risto and Sam for better players not knowing if that's coming.

Very perceptive. It was about as pointed as he could allow himself to be under the circumstances and feeds my growing suspicion that Kevyn is not a believer in Jack as a franchise cornerstone.

These feeds into my previous comment. We all want our GM to diagnose the problem with the franchise and fix it.

He spelled it out right there what he thinks it is. I expect his moves going forward to reflect that.

100% in agreement. 

Oh, and it was definitely salesmanship

Spongebob GIF

Just now, Zamboni said:

Are you rebuilding if you finish 2nd last? How about 3rd last? How about 4th last? How about 5th last? How about allllll the way up to 29th? I mean every team tries to improve to a more or lesser degree year round. So is that loosely called “rebuilding”?  I personally don’t think so.

I think the worst team in the league in most sports isn't going to try and win it all the next year.  The big free agent signings of okposo, skinner, hall (and leino and ehrhoff before them) as the "piece that puts us over the top" has legit been a failure.  The best teams in the league don't do this.  They signed the key guys, and moved others to manage their salary more effectively. 

Free agency and deadline deals can be useful to bring in a piece, cover for an injury, but thats never the key cog that wins a cup.  This team doesn't develop or elevate talent properly, instead they take on other teams spare parts that they're willing to part with - Bogo, Sheary, hunwick, Vesey, etc.  

The root of the problem to me is - the players are their worst when they play in buffalo.  Figure out what it is that makes people the worst versions of themselves here.  

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.