GDT: Kevyn Adams Press Conference -- The "Disconnect" Explained--11:00 am

bob_sauve28

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Maybe he finally understands the reality that this team drafted like ***** for 8 of the last 10 years and you can't just add Taylor Hall and win cups. 

That's fine. 

For me, hearing him sell the future "the young players are a light" "the young players have me excited" immediately before saying, when talking about what they need to do next year, "show improvement", after saying LAST year was taking a run at it, was very, very

VERY

Concerning. 

The juxtaposition was that "going for it" failed and that going forward was literally, as stated, was next year about, "but, we need to show improvement". 

That's a rebuild. 

Just now, Gabrielor said:

Unprompted praise of the Pegula's bothered me. Felt company-line. The Pegula's deserve 0 praise for anything Sabres related right now. Instead, they deserve blame for not putting enough experience between them and important hockey decisions.

It's unreasonable stuff like this that I would never notice. 

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Adams just blamed the goaltending on fluky injuries so that's a major "X"

Ullmark started 20 games.  He finished 18. Good for 44th in a league of 31 teams.  

Just now, Thorny said:

That's fine. 

For me, hearing him sell the future "the young players are a light" "the young players have me excited" immediately before saying, when talking about what they need to do next year, "show improvement", after saying LAST year was taking a run at it, was very, very

VERY

Concerning. 

The juxtaposition was that "going for it" failed and that going forward was literally, as stated, was next year about, "but, we need to show improvement". 

That's a rebuild. 

If you finish last in the league... arent you rebuilding?

Edited by Drag0nDan
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

How do you prevent high ankle sprains in hockey?

It's a straw man. 

We'd have had unsatisfactory goaltending even if all our netminders had remained healthy. Who was the capable back up?

And, assuming health from Ullmark, is a STRIKE in itself

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

That's fine. 

VERY

Concerning. 

That's a rebuild. 

Eichel, Reinhart and Risto are gone for young guns and draft picks.

That's what that tells me.

I do think KA “gets it” as in he understands where our fan base is at and the importance of what that crest represents. For that I do like him. I’m not sure if he has anything else going for him though. Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, pastajoe said:

Missed the beginning due to connection problems. Did anyone ask if KA talked to the Pegulas about Eichel, and what their views are on his comments and medical wishes?

No Pegula questions, and I wanted a few (their reaction to Eichel stuff, PoHO/staffing)

Did this get glossed over here? Adams stated several times that the rest/watch and wait period of about 12 weeks from time of injury will be up in late May/early June. It seems like the Sabres will either be proven right by then or Eichel will have a much bigger argument for surgery. They're kicking the can down the road, so to speak.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, I-90 W said:

I do think KA “gets it” as in he understands where our fan base is at and the importance of what that crest represents. For that I do like him. I’m not sure if he has anything else going for him though. Time will tell.

If he did he'd resign and tell Pegula to hire an actual qualified and proven GM.

3 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Missed the beginning due to connection problems. Did anyone ask if KA talked to the Pegulas about Eichel, and what their views are on his comments and medical wishes?

Nope, there were so many missed opportunities that could and should have been asked. Personally I wish someone would have asked how much control as GM he really has. 

2 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Ullmark started 20 games.  He finished 18. Good for 44th in a league of 31 teams.  

Unclear what you are trying to get across with the bold. That it's not Adams' fault we didn't have good goalies? Don't let the injuries distract you from the fact the goaltending would have been substandard regardless. 

It's a straw man and he jumped on it cause he said before the season he was confident in the goalies 

The "if you finish last" bit.... what I heard was Adams consciously lowering expectations and pushing back the timeline

Just now, PASabreFan said:

Did this get glossed over here? Adams stated several times that the rest/watch and wait period of about 12 weeks from time of injury will be up in late May/early June. It seems like the Sabres will either be proven right by then or Eichel will have a much bigger argument for surgery. They're kicking the can down the road, so to speak.

As they should, because if they move him, the decision falls on another franchise.

Literally PA, we should take the pot'O'gold we're going to get for him and run, run as fast and as far away as we can from him. Just my 2 pennies is all.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I also thought it was a thinly veiled shot at Jack. "Why was he saying anything at this point? Shouldn't we still be waiting? Maybe that guy had another motive in speaking up when he did? Timeframe wasn't up, after all"

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Drag0nDan said:

Ullmark started 20 games.  Good for 44th in a league of 31 teams.  

Are you rebuilding if you finish 2nd last? How about 3rd last? How about 4th last? How about 5th last? How about allllll the way up to 29th? I mean every team tries to improve to a more or lesser degree year round. So is that loosely called “rebuilding”?  I personally don’t think so.

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That's fine. 

VERY

Concerning. 

That's a rebuild. 

If you want me to guess and read between lines... 

Jack Eichel is getting traded along with Ristolainen. 

Reinhart is getting brought back. 

They are doing a mini-rebuild as oppose to a tear down where they will just keep drafting and putting the kids in situations and what happens happens. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Eichel, Reinhart and Risto are gone for young guns and draft picks.

That's what that tells me.

Also rather telling was that, when mentioning "insulation" for the kids here, he spoke specifically about "Character" and not talent

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.