GDT: Kevyn Adams Press Conference -- The "Disconnect" Explained--11:00 am

bob_sauve28

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

I’d like to point out, for those who don’t follow, the Bills purged every last disgruntled soul from the roster. Regardless of talent or potential. 

After making the playoffs with that team and breaking the drought.

Dropping talent like that takes a skilled front office and coaching staff. 

Botterill, Housely, and Krueger couldn't manage it.  Remains to be seen if Adams and coach X can manage it. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

In my opinion, based on my impressions, not based on a specific statement saying this thing but only on how I have interpreted the press conference so far, I think they will strongly favor hiring Granato. 

That good enough for ya PA?

Disclaimer: The above statement was an opinion not based on verifiable facts that have been presented at the presser. 

Data?

• Haha (+1) 1

Really disappointed with that press conference, the Buffalo sports media leaves much to be desired. They should have forced him to answer more pointed questions. A few things...

1 For a guy whose buzz words are honest conversations, he was quick to call an honest question a trap.

2 Wish someone would have asked how much control he truly has of the team (granted this would take some nerve and result in fallout).

3 Wish someone would have asked what type of trade assets he would want, should he wind up moving Jack.

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

KA gives a little credence to dysfunction in the medical/performance/training staff. "I asked some tough questions."

Adams just blamed the goaltending on fluky injuries so that's a major "X"

Reinhart is a good player, but not much more. If he is traded, it doesn't fundamentally shake the organisation.

That is not true for Eichel. For Eichel, the question is 'are you all in?' The only way this team with Eichel works is if he basically decides he will potentially sacrifice his career and commit. The Sabres cannot afford for their captain, currently best player and most expensive cap piece to be one foot in. If Eichel does double down and it works out, he becomes the greatest Sabre of all time and is spoken about for generations around the league for what he overcame and on his back the cup was won.

If he commits and it fails, he likely is traded in his thirties to become an important B-party vet to help a team get over the top and is remembered as a vital deadline or FA addition.

If he moves on, his story will be determined by how that new team performs, and how the Sabres perform without him.

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

They didn't have anyone nearly comparable to Reinhart or Eichel. Injury plagued Sammy Watkins doesn't count, and Dareus didn't amount to anything after becoming overweight and useless

Different sports for sure, but you can draw parallels with Sammy Watkins and Jack Eichel. 

The point is that high draft picks in the core of our team was sent off when it was determined they were not all in.

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's easy to root for him. What a spot for him to be in. He's either FDR or Truman. Truman's probably a better analogy. Of course the Sabres didn't just win a world championship.

I like the Truman comparable. I like Harry a lot and think he's a wildly underappreciated figure in US history.

Smart guy, in over his head, got the job done when people didn't think he could.

Something to come back to...

• Like (+1) 1

Adams definitely mentioned that they made the moves last offseason to "go for it" and that this offseason they will look to make moves to develop the young players, that was the first thing he said. 

He proceeded to say next year they'll need to show "signs of improvement". 

His interview took a major turn for me 

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

Different sports for sure, but you can draw parallels with Sammy Watkins and Jack Eichel. 

The point is that high draft picks in the core of our team was sent off when it was determined they were not all in.

Barely though. I get the very high level comparison of the bold, but they aren't remotely comparable beyond that. Sammy Watkins would have to be a top 5 proven QB in his prime for that to work out. Beane/McDermott caught some flack sure but moving on from Watkins wasn't exactly like trading away Josh Allen

Edited by WildCard

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I will say one thing, which is that people on Twitter seem to have listened to a different press conference 

Donald Glover Pizza GIF

Granato's was fantastic to my ears

I burned those off after listening to the latter half of Adams'

33 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's amazing to me how professional journalists have such difficulty asking a clear question.

Can you imagine how hard the NYC media would hammer Brian Cashman if Giancarlo Stanton pulled what Eichel pulled? They would flat out ask Cashman if he was gonna trade him, and what assets would he want in return. They would smother him and not let it go until they had hard answers on record. The Buffalo Media feels like one of those town halls where you kinda feel like the candidate already knows what’s coming (though I know that’s not the case). Very soft. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Adams definitely mentioned that they made the moves last offseason to "go for it" and that this offseason they will look to make moves to develop the young players, that was the first thing he said. 

He proceeded to say next year they'll need to show "signs of improvement". 

His interview took a major turn for me 

Maybe he finally understands the reality that this team drafted like ***** for 8 of the last 10 years and you can't just add Taylor Hall and win cups. 

• Like (+1) 1

It’s amazing that some of the comments I’m reading, expected KA to disparage or throw under the bus ANYONE at a press conference. Really? Like this is your first press conference you ever saw/listened to? 

You expected KA to make a negative comment about Eichel, owners, doctors, coaching staff, prior staff, any pkayers? 😂

Not gonna happen. This is a recording.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Granato's was fantastic to my ears

I burned those off after listening to the latter half of Adams'

I really didn't think anything Adams said was that bad. I was certainly listening for things that would make me mad 😂

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

And he ended the medical bit with him saying the staff is "not an issue at all"

derp 

No he didn't. 

He ended it with the MD staff and one in particular is world renowned. He was specifically pointing out the MD staff, not the medical staff. 

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I really didn't think anything Adams said was that bad. I was certainly listening for things that would make me mad 😂

Unprompted praise of the Pegula's bothered me. Felt company-line. The Pegula's deserve 0 praise for anything Sabres related right now. Instead, they deserve blame for not putting enough experience between them and important hockey decisions.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.