GDT: Kevyn Adams Press Conference -- The "Disconnect" Explained--11:00 am

bob_sauve28

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I'm behind on the stream so apologies. 

Really like how Granato mentioned how players "share" a lot more, nowadays. With today's generation, young ones need to be heard. The may vocalize things athletes in the past would just bury. Surely players have terrible thoughts about not wanting to remain with their organizations, all the time? Maybe Jack vocalizing it isn't apples to oranges with an athlete of the past vocalizing it. 

Maybe if you listen he stays, maybe there is hope on that front. I dunno 

Will watch today's PCs tonight.  

Am still hoping that Eichel's PC was more about venting & trying to get the team on board with his wish to get the surgery than actually wanting out & beginning the process of burning bridges.

Emotions seem to be raw here w/ the fans & we just watch this stuff.  These guys lived this debacle of a season.  They have to be close to skinned alive raw for these guys.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

Sounded to me like certain players don’t want to be here and he will expedite the process of making them no longer here.  Also, the way he spoke of the “young core” tells me he’s ready to hand the reigns over to Dylan, Casey, Tage and Dahlin.  

You have to acknowledge what an amazing turnaround we saw that last month or so. The Sabres went from a team that was ready to give up to one that fought back to win games multiple times. And done with a roster half made up of AHL players. It's not lost on me the kids outplayed Hall and Staal while they were here.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

The Staal trade was not "fine". You don't trade for a player to fill the role of your second most important forward position, and get the on-ice return we did, and call it "fine". If we got Staal for free, along with a 3rd round pick, it would still have been an awful move. It's not just about what goes in/what goes out re: a trade. It's the resulting aptitude of the position. 

The value of the Staal trade was fine.  Staal as a 2C solution was not fine.

2 different concepts

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Will watch today's PCs tonight.  

Am still hoping that Eichel's PC was more about venting & trying to get the team on board with his wish to get the surgery than actually wanting out & beginning the process of burning bridges.

Emotions seem to be raw here w/ the fans & we just watch this stuff.  These guys lived this debacle of a season.  They have to be close to skinned alive raw for these guys.

I agree.

Listening my way through it, though, I do think it's likely Eichel and Risto are gone. 

Sam wore a bills hat, maybe he stays. But even then, his RFA situation really, really makes it tough to keep him. I think he's the one that most likely stays, though, with a LT deal. Dunno the odds. 

Edited by Thorny

I still have no idea if Adams is the right guy for this job, but he's certainly got a good grasp of everything that is going on with the team. It's possible that with Karmanos at his side he can pull this off. 

His head is in the right place at the very least. 

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I still have no idea if Adams is the right guy for this job, but he's certainly got a good grasp of everything that is going on with the team. It's possible that with Karmanos at his side he can pull this off. 

He has good bones. Just not the experience to flesh out the details. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, darksabre said:

It's easy to root for him. What a spot for him to be in. He's either FDR or Truman. Truman's probably a better analogy. Of course the Sabres didn't just win a world championship.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

Under a hat in the summer sun, I'd hope

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

You have to acknowledge what an amazing turnaround we saw that last month or so. The Sabres went from a team that was ready to give up to one that fight back to win games multiple times. And done with a roster half made up of AHL players. It's not lost on me the kids outplayed Hall and Staal while they were here.

The roster was made up of kids - definitely.  Houser was the 2nd oldest player in at least 2 of his starts.  But it wasn't 1/2 AHLers.  Samuelson & possibly Bryson were AHLers.  Ruotsalainen was the only F that can still arguably be considered an AHLer that was getting regular usage.  Fogarty, Murray, etc were rotating through a single slot.  But Mittelstadt, Thompson, Asplund, Borgen, & Cozens showed they are NHLers.  They're just young NHLers.

Now, to say the GTing was AHLers after Ullmark went out - 100%.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

They both matter.  Having SOMEONE to be an adequate 2C is more important though.

The former did not mater because the latter didn't result. 

The goal wasn't to "find a good trade for Johansson"

The goal was to find a 2C. 

That pursuit failed. The end. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

I’d like to point out, for those who don’t follow, the Bills purged every last disgruntled soul from the roster. Regardless of talent or potential. 

They didn't have anyone nearly comparable to Reinhart or Eichel. Injury plagued Sammy Watkins doesn't count, and Dareus didn't amount to anything after becoming overweight and useless

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The former did not mater because the latter didn't result. 

The goal wasn't to "find a good trade for Johansson"

The goal was to find a 2C. 

That pursuit failed. The end. 

Review how hockey professionals saw the trade. The response was broadly Adams pulls a stunner and perfectly fills the 2C role. Adams was wrong - but he was certainly not alone in that boat.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

They didn't have anyone nearly comparable to Reinhart or Eichel. Injury plagued Sammy Watkins doesn't count, and Dareus didn't amount to anything after becoming overweight and useless

This is a good point. It's a good theory, a good ideal, but the trade for Jack also has to be adequate. It does have to be both

3 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

Review how hockey professionals saw the trade. The response was broadly Adams pulls a stunner and perfectly fills the 2C role. Adams was wrong - but he was certainly not alone in that boat.

Can people please stop using the "two wrongs make a right" defense?

I do not care if others were also wrong. It doesn't make the move more right. 

Me being dead wrong about Botterill's bridge to Reinhart at the time, as Ducky pointed out, does not make Botterill's decision more right. It just means I was also wrong

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.