GDT: Kevyn Adams Press Conference -- The "Disconnect" Explained--11:00 am

bob_sauve28

Just now, Flashsabre said:

https://youtu.be/VRJecfRxbr8

I fully expect this to go like Matt Damon playing Brett Kavanaugh on SNL😁. Come out swinging Kevyn, angrily get in everyone’s face. Let them know who is in charge!!!🤣

I like it.  If he brought it like that i'd be impressed.  Like how do you fire a guy with that kinda fire and moxie?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Staal trade was fine - lowered the payroll of johansson and honestly he was at least "as good" as him.  At least he was a center.. who knew we didn't actually need a center though?  Not RK... 

They got a decent enough return from montreal, and he sucked for them too.  

The goaltending thing, the kahun thing, even teh montour thing - all tied up in hall imo.  They didn't tender kahun because they wanted hall, there was a debate on whether to tender montour as he was getting considerably more in arb than he'd get on the open market.  

Goaltending should've been a trade target to get an upgrade at 1B.  Moving risto or another d-man could've facilitated.  Ullmark being healthy and this team is not in last place (43 goalies started more games than ullmark - nhl high was 44 of 56 games), we can all pretty much agree to that.  But in any spot duty whatsoever hutton was a disaster, tokarski and johansson arent good either.  

He wasn't signing without the NMC.  The NMC guaranteed hall if it didn't work out here that he could go to a contender where he wanted to play.  

Then he shouldn't have signed him.  He should have taken that money and found a top 6 RW and a goaltender upgrade for Hutton.  

If he wanted to make a deal he should have made sure that the NMC was a limited NMC with at least 5 or more options.  A real GM wouldn't have boxed himself that deep into a corner.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

8 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Staal trade was fine - lowered the payroll of johansson and honestly he was at least "as good" as him.  At least he was a center.. who knew we didn't actually need a center though?  Not RK... 

They got a decent enough return from montreal, and he sucked for them too.  

The goaltending thing, the kahun thing, even teh montour thing - all tied up in hall imo.  They didn't tender kahun because they wanted hall, there was a debate on whether to tender montour as he was getting considerably more in arb than he'd get on the open market.  

Goaltending should've been a trade target to get an upgrade at 1B.  Moving risto or another d-man could've facilitated.  Ullmark being healthy and this team is not in last place (43 goalies started more games than ullmark - nhl high was 44 of 56 games), we can all pretty much agree to that.  But in any spot duty whatsoever hutton was a disaster, tokarski and johansson arent good either.  

He wasn't signing without the NMC.  The NMC guaranteed hall if it didn't work out here that he could go to a contender where he wanted to play.  

The Staal trade was not "fine". You don't trade for a player to fill the role of your second most important forward position, and get the on-ice return we did, and call it "fine". If we got Staal for free, along with a 3rd round pick, it would still have been an awful move. It's not just about what goes in/what goes out re: a trade. It's the resulting aptitude of the position. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Then he shouldn't have signed him.  He should have taken that money and found a top 6 RW and a goaltender upgrade for Hutton.  

If he wanted to make a deal he should have made sure that the NMC was a limited NMC with at least 5 or more options.  A real GM wouldn't have boxed himself that deep into a corner.

If you are pretending that Adams is making the moves on his own you are kidding yourself. Adams was told to sign Hall by the Pegulas and Ralph.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Flashsabre said:

If you are pretending that Adams is making the moves on his own you are kidding yourself. Adams was told to sign Hall by the Pegulas and Ralph.

Hall was absolutely signed to appease Jack and Ralph.  No question, but a competent GM would have negotiated a limited NMC especially when giving Hall max $. 

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I agree with this. Remember on the Hall signing episode of Beyond the Blue TP was overheard telling KA that if we go for Hall we’re not just going for the playoffs, but the cup? This guy literally thought Staal and Hall would make us immediate cup contenders, it’s terrifying. 

Edited by I-90 W
  • Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

At some point he has to make a successful move of some kind, right?  What are the metrics he’s being evaluated by other than loyalty to his bosses?  The most you’re saying is that not everything was his fault - maybe not, but doesn’t he have to show success at SOMETHING?  He literally has failed in every single metric and transaction and again, it’s not like he has some previous track record of success to fall back on.  He’s a joke.

Even a broke clock is...........something, something, something, something..............

Isn't it safe to say that Hall would have never come here period if not for the $8MIL AND NMC?  And I also think it safe to say that we all thought signing him was a great move and we all had at least for some time grand illusions of this team competing for a playoff spot. No way KA could have foreseen Jack basically checking out for the whole year (even when he played he was pretty disengaged and clearly not himself) and/or that we'd have a pile of goalies all hurt at the same time.  Hutton had a year left on his contract so he was here either way. Of course Linus was suppose to be #1 and he looked great except that he too got hurt. I also think Jack's unhappiness existed long before KA came along. No doubt he (and Samson and maybe even Risto) all looked at ROR and thought "what a lucky guy". I also think KA truly believed or thought that by adding Hall & Staal the team would be greatly improved and would make us a playoff contender which in turn would make Jack and everyone else happy. Again I (along with many others) thought the moves KA did last summer were good and I did think we'd be able to compete for that playoff spot. Of course playing in what is for sure the best division does not help! Hell with DG coaching al year if we 'd be in any other division we would have certainly competed for a playoff spot no?

2 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

Isn't it safe to say that Hall would have never come here period if not for the $8MIL AND NMC?  And I also think it safe to say that we all thought signing him was a great move and we all had at least for some time grand illusions of this team competing for a playoff spot. No way KA could have foreseen Jack basically checking out for the whole year (even when he played he was pretty disengaged and clearly not himself) and/or that we'd have a pile of goalies all hurt at the same time.  Hutton had a year left on his contract so he was here either way. Of course Linus was suppose to be #1 and he looked great except that he too got hurt. I also think Jack's unhappiness existed long before KA came along. No doubt he (and Samson and maybe even Risto) all looked at ROR and thought "what a lucky guy". I also think KA truly believed or thought that by adding Hall & Staal the team would be greatly improved and would make us a playoff contender which in turn would make Jack and everyone else happy. Again I (along with many others) thought the moves KA did last summer were good and I did think we'd be able to compete for that playoff spot. Of course playing in what is for sure the best division does not help! Hell with DG coaching al year if we 'd be in any other division we would have certainly competed for a playoff spot no?

How did he not know Eichel was hurt?

• Like (+1) 1

Did Jack's neck injury not occur during the season? I saw where some guy put Jack into the boards and he clearly at that point favored his neck and don;t think he played again after that point (but did play til then). I know that jack's stats were pretty bad til that point but then again so were the stats of every other Sabre including Hall

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

And if you give KA every single one of these caveats, and the exact same or similar caveats for the next two seasons, and we finish in the standings roughly where we have been? He'll get fired. 

Because only results matter. There are infinite possibilities and avenues one might take to ice a roster, any given offseason. A GM has to actively prove they can do it, they don't get the luxury of relying on a "prove my roster WOULDN'T have been successful, if everything went to plan" argument. 

The onus is on the GM

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

I think people are overstating the NMC impact. Let’s say they actually gave him a 10 team NTC list - which is a pretty normal option.

Well, that is sort of useless at the deadline. Because Hall simply looks at which teams are in the playoffs / bubble and selects the 10 teams most likely to select him. Leaving the Bruins, and teams without the cap space to make it work, or so in the bubble that they will not trade their first round pick.

I actually don’t think many teams would need to be added to a list before it becomes Bruins or bust. I reckon a 5 team NTC would have still forced a Bruins trade for pretty much the same amount

• bob_sauve28 changed the title to GDT: Kevyn Adams Press Conference -- The "Disconnect" Explained--11:00 am
1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

For people saying how badly they mishandled Jack’s injury, exactly how so?  If Friedman’s story is correct and Jack is determined to get this alternative surgery which might mean he doesn’t play again how many of you would sign off on it?  

disc replacement is not alternative surgery. I had one in my lower spine. it is more common than you think....if this is the issue. I don't know for sure....just what I read

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

For people saying how badly they mishandled Jack’s injury, exactly how so?  If Friedman’s story is correct and Jack is determined to get this alternative surgery which might mean he doesn’t play again how many of you would sign off on it?  

Without knowing very much about the injury itself, it's actually really hard to say if it was mishandled (though, admittedly I lean toward a "it's Jack's body" type deal). There have also been ongoing questions about the medical staff of this team.

But, it could be that the Sabres handled the injury entirely appropriately on their end. In truth I don't think any of the recent news on Jack changed much of anyone's opinion - lots kinda have their prism through which they see Jack well-determined. 

For me, it's likely the disagreement re: the injury is merely the straw the broke the camel's back at the end of a situation the Sabres allowed to become combustible over the years. For me, it's about how they let the relationship decay and devolve to the point where communication over a sensitive issue like this was always likely to be a ticking time bomb. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.