IF the Sabres trade Jack and Sam...

LabattBlue

56 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I will say this about the Sabres, 

I enjoyed watching them the last 2 months of the season and Eichel was not once in the line-up.  I was excited to see Eichel with the new line-up and coach but if you can add a couple of other high end players / prospects and be done with the Eichel drama....you have to consider it.

Maybe they enjoyed success because Eichel wasn’t playing. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Thorny said:

Why not? 

You'd trade them straight up?

Scheif has the better contract but JE is younger and better.

I'd make the trade in a heartbeat.

Play him with KC and Ehlers with no A or C on his sweater and he probably scores close to 100 points...as long as we upgrade our D and coach.

Scheif and Maurice for Eichel!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ducky said:

Play him with KC and Ehlers with no A or C on his sweater and he probably scores close to 100 points...as long as we upgrade our D and coach.

Scheif has a M-NTC.  So you have to assume that's out.  Why would he leave a playoff team to play 3 years and decrease his value?

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Right? It’s a no brainer! There are people here who think the JETS would say no. Eichel would light winnipeg on fire with Connor and Ehlers. 

The issue is his NMC. Does Chevy have anything on him to get him to waive it? Haha

It’s not that I normally would want that 1 for 1, but if we HAVE to trade Jack, a point a game centre is a far more palatable return than prospects. 

Every day. All day.

Edited by Thorny

6 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Scheif has a M-NTC.  So you have to assume that's out.  Why would he leave a playoff team to play 3 years and decrease his value?

I was asked if I would make the trade and I answered yes I would. I am not saying it would happen.

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Right? It’s a no brainer! There are people here who think the JETS would say no. Eichel would light winnipeg on fire with Connor and Ehlers. 

The issue is his NMC. Does Chevy have anything on him to get him to waive it? Haha

It’s not that I normally would want that 1 for 1, but if we HAVE to trade Jack, a point a game centre is a far more palatable return than prospects. 

Every day. All day.

Scheif is not going to turn this team into a contender. Do you think he is a point-a-game player on the Sabres?

Edited by Ducky
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I was asked if I would make the trade and I answered yes I would. I am not saying it would happen.

Scheif is not going to turn this team into a contender. Do you think he is a point-a-game player on the Sabres?

With all the PP1 time? Yes. He’s a very good offensive player. We need to give him wingers but yes. 

It’s not about him making us a contender. It’s an unwinnable trade. But he keeps playoffs/contending in the viewable horizon and provides an avenue for success in a much more realistic fashion than dumping him for a grab bag of futures would 

He fills the vacuum so Cozens and Casey aren’t sucked into it 

It’s a hockey trade. 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

With all the PP1 time? Yes. He’s a very good offensive player. We need to give him wingers but yes. 

It’s not about him making us a contender. It’s an unwinnable trade. But he keeps playoffs/contending in the viewable horizon and provides an avenue for success in a much more realistic fashion than dumping him for a grab bag of futures would 

Fans need to realize the Sabres will not be a contender for a minimum of at LEAST 3 years and maybe more. You need a bona fide goalie, but most of all you need a competent GM. I would have fired him as soon as he signed Rhino to that one year deal.

6 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Fans need to realize the Sabres will not be a contender for a minimum of at LEAST 3 years and maybe more. You need a bona fide goalie, but most of all you need a competent GM. I would have fired him as soon as he signed Rhino to that one year deal.

I don't give a rats ass about the stanley cup right now. 

I want to be a winning hockey team. That's it. That's my bar. Give me playoffs. Worry about the rest later. 

This "x years to a contender" mindset is poison. Poison. And it has been poison. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I don't give a rats ass about the stanley cup right now. 

I want to be a winning hockey team. That's it. That's my bar. Give me playoffs. Worry about the rest later. 

This "x years to a contender" mindset is poison. Poison. And it has been poison. 

Hockey is supposed to be fun. You get one life. I want to enjoy being a fan of the Buffalo Sabres. 

Fans touting this "build to a contender with a 5 year plan" nonsense have lost the plot. Salary caps and "mortgaging the future (that doesn't evenactually exist until we make it)" and arm chair GMing...

It's entertainment,

Entertain me. I want to love my team. I don't need them to win the Cup to do that. If it happens, it happens. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Doesn't reino have to have an appetite for a long-term deal?  JB's failure to bridge rein is really the mistake here.

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Hockey is supposed to be fun. You get one life. I want to enjoy being a fan of the Buffalo Sabres. 

Fans touting this "build to a contender with a 5 year plan" nonsense have lost the plot. Salary caps and "mortgaging the future (that doesn't evenactually exist until we make it)" and arm chair GMing...

It's entertainment,

Entertain me. I want to love my team. I don't need them to win the Cup to do that. If it happens, it happens. 

totally agree...and I loved how the team played under DG. Fun to watch with young guys allowed to do their thing.  The sign of a good coach is one who allows players to play to their strength as well as one who can recognize changes that need to be made during and after a game and again DG showed he is very much good at this too as he made changes after loses to both Boston and Pittsburg that were very good. The team tried to run and gun with Pittsburg and got  beat 8-4 so the next game they tighten up and played a excellent defensive game and lost on a fluke goal 1-0.  The team was fun to watch and the young guys will only get better under DG...which is vital as we seem to suddenly have some good young prospects in the system

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's entertainment,

There is a bit of a paradox into it when you dig deeper into what is 'entertaining' to fans.

To one person, entertainment might be a team with a winning record. Knowing you have a chance of winning almost every game you go into.  Signing veterans that will help you win now.  Even if that makes your team 'good' but not great, that is what some people want.  They are the ones that want to keep Eichel, spend on whatever it takes to resign Sam, and then sprinkle in some other veterans so this team can compete for the playoffs.

But on the other side, there are people that actually have more fun seeing a young team develop, even if that team misses the playoffs.  They want to witness the journey that ENDS 4-5 years down the road with a very good/great team, but the actual journey is just as much fun as the end result, even if that means losing some more games next year.

I understand people who pay money to go to the games and just want to see wins now (I'm not one of them).  But I fall into the second category.  I have a LOT more fun watching a young team grow and get better, even if that means more losses now, as long as I have some entertaining games with that 'hope' sprinkled in.

1 hour ago, Drag0nDan said:

Doesn't reino have to have an appetite for a long-term deal?  JB's failure to bridge rein is really the mistake here.

I thought he was bridged and Adams signed him to the one year deal (giving Rhino ALL the leverage)?

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

But he keeps playoffs/contending in the viewable horizon and provides an avenue for success in a much more realistic fashion than dumping him for a grab bag of futures would 

He fills the vacuum so Cozens and Casey aren’t sucked into it 

It’s a hockey trade. 

You think the playoffs are on the horizon by trading Jack for Scheif?

33 minutes ago, Ducky said:

You think the playoffs are on the horizon by trading Jack for Scheif?

No, that's not what I meant, not in the sense that "that's what's on the horizon" once we make the trade. Poorly worded.

I wanted to say something more like "shouting distance". It keeps us at a spot where one can conceivably mold the roster this offseason to make it the goal. If we deal Jack for futures, playoffs next season are off the table. 

48 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

There is a bit of a paradox into it when you dig deeper into what is 'entertaining' to fans.

To one person, entertainment might be a team with a winning record. Knowing you have a chance of winning almost every game you go into.  Signing veterans that will help you win now.  Even if that makes your team 'good' but not great, that is what some people want.  They are the ones that want to keep Eichel, spend on whatever it takes to resign Sam, and then sprinkle in some other veterans so this team can compete for the playoffs.

But on the other side, there are people that actually have more fun seeing a young team develop, even if that team misses the playoffs.  They want to witness the journey that ENDS 4-5 years down the road with a very good/great team, but the actual journey is just as much fun as the end result, even if that means losing some more games next year.

I understand people who pay money to go to the games and just want to see wins now (I'm not one of them).  But I fall into the second category.  I have a LOT more fun watching a young team grow and get better, even if that means more losses now, as long as I have some entertaining games with that 'hope' sprinkled in.

So this is something you've experienced most recently, what...a decade ago?

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

If we deal Jack for futures, playoffs next season are off the table. 

I believe that the Sabres don't make the playoffs next season even if Jack stays. Too hard of a decision and not enough talented players on the team not to mention you don't have a starting goalie signed.

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No, that's not what I meant, not in the sense that "that's what's on the horizon" once we make the trade. Poorly worded.

I wanted to say something more like "shouting distance". It keeps us at a spot where one can conceivably mold the roster this offseason to make it the goal. If we deal Jack for futures, playoffs next season are off the table. 

Who says it has to be with the sabres??  How we enjoy our sports can be with any NHL team we like or are fans of.....or any other sport too. 

Open minds people....

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

Who says it has to be with the sabres??  How we enjoy our sports can be with any NHL team we like or are fans of.....or any other sport too. 

Open minds people....

Lol ok fine but the context was Sabres so that was what I assumed. My bad. 

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

I thought he was bridged and Adams signed him to the one year deal (giving Rhino ALL the leverage)?

2yr 7.3M in 2018.  Didn't try to extend and buyout the remaining RFA years.  So that left him with 2 years of control after the contract he signed with JB.  

Anyone else going to root for them if they go to a contender and make it to the playoffs? Not me, I’ll be totally indifferent. Won’t wish them ill will but they’ll just ‘be somebody that I used to know’ 🎶.

• Like (+1) 2